PDA

View Full Version : Project Finnished: EC

Jim Wolfe
03-28-2004, 12:38 AM
Here is a project I finnished earler this week,an entertainment center for my brother. Had to waite for the glass company to get the glass in and cut it for the doors then I could finnish the job by installing the doors.
My borther stained it and I ended up putting the poly on for him due to the fact he had to work 84 hrs last week .

I just hate using poly because it tends to stink up the whole house even with a window and exhaust fan running in the shop

P3252260c.jpg P3252274c.jpg

Waymon Campbell
03-28-2004, 8:23 AM
Jim - I like the "light" design of the stile/rails/face frame. That would look great in my house! I have been planning something similiar except mine would be a single row and would equal the hight of the big screen TV. Question: Its not apparent from the photo, but how are you venting the components?

Tyler Howell
03-28-2004, 8:34 AM
Packing a lot of power there Jim, Looks good. Do you have plenty of fresh air passing through the EC?

Jim Wolfe
03-28-2004, 9:28 AM
Packing a lot of power there Jim, Looks good. Do you have plenty of fresh air passing through the EC?

There are six large holes on ther rear of the cabinet for air flow, the largest componet has cooling fans .
I did mention to my brother that he may need to add a extra cooling fan to the case . For now it will just be static air movement . Most of these EC Components were in a tower EC before, he doesn't think the heat will be a problem.

Todd Burch
03-28-2004, 9:47 AM
Hey Jim - looks good! Is that red oak? How long do you think it took to make and finish, minus all the time for breaks? Are the sides plywood or MDF? How is the glass held in?

Thanks for posting!

Jim Wolfe
03-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Hey Jim - looks good! Is that red oak? How long do you think it took to make and finish, minus all the time for breaks? Are the sides plywood or MDF? How is the glass held in?

Thanks for posting!
Todd , Yes red oak Veneer Plywood, I don't care to use mdf core.
Total time start to finish maybe 8 hours (not including gather of materials most of the down time was in finishing, did it as a filler project in-between my bedroom funiture. I'll post pictures of Chest of drawers later today or next week .
The glass Company set the glass but I will do that next time . They laid the glass in and put a neet bead of silicone around it .Had to cure for 24 HRS.
There are also wheels on the bottom of the unit to aid in moving . Thet sit proud 1/4 " of the bottom so that they are hidden.
Jim
P3122214d.jpg
P2292199d.jpg
P3062205d.jpg

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Jim
Very nice execution for it's function.
I like the dark glass to hide and yet let you also see the "stuff".
Daniel :cool:

Chris Padilla
03-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Nice, clean and tight design, Jim. Lottsa WI folks here! :)