PDA

View Full Version : Dado Questions

Joe Vee
04-09-2008, 1:44 PM
Hello,

I have a Ridgid TS3650 table saw. My Stacked dado blades are Freud SD200 8" blades. My problem is there were no instructions. I have been able to do 3/8" dados but if I try 3/4" dado the blades don't cut a dado, just tear the crap out of the wood. Is there a specific orientation for the chippers?Thanks for the help

Joe

Peter Quinn
04-09-2008, 2:31 PM
Place one main cutter on each side with the side that says "this side out" facing out, put the chippers in the middle, orient the chippers and blades so the teeth don't touch and are staggered. Pretty much fool proof. You do have the main blades on the outside in the proper orientation no?

PS Freud has a great video call DADO tips and tricks that a guy at work gave me, it came with our set along with very thorough instructions. I find Freud has produced great instructions for just about every thing they make, but their web site is junk (no PDF's or hard to find) and they are a little lax about including directions in the box. Customer service, however, is quite responsive so if you call them or email you can probably get lots of help quick direct from the manufacturer.

I had trouble understanding their sash bits, turns out they produced a great primer on the subject that my vendor never put with my order, helped me a lot.

Howard Acheson
04-09-2008, 6:42 PM
It sounds like you have the chippers in backwards. You're cutting with the backs of the blade tips rather than the front. The chippers have to be placed so that as the dado revolves, the chipper tips are oriented the same way your saw blade tips are oriented.