PDA

View Full Version : XM vs Sirius

Mitchell Andrus
04-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm getting bored with the tunes on my ipod and FM is a waste. I'm looking for a nice mix of music (each will have that) but also a fair amount of talk to stimulate the grey cells.

Travis Gauger
04-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I have XM and like that, some family members have serius, they like that too. XM and Serius merged about 6 months ago and are going to be combining programming soon so it shouldn't really matter. I thought that the programming changes were slated for June 08, but don't take my word on that. I like the XM because they have a lot more of the sports related stations vs the howard stearn and martha stewart stations.

Ben Rafael
04-09-2008, 12:48 PM
XM came with my truck for 3 months free.
I did not subscribe after the trial because XM has too many commercials or other such nonsense. Why should I pay for something nobody in their right mind would want to hear? Also, the programming repeats itself to quickly. After 1 week I kept hearing the same thing.
I figure for the cost of it I could buy a CD or 2 per month.
AFAIK, the only difference between XM and Sirius is Howard Stern

Russ Filtz
04-09-2008, 3:49 PM
The cross-programming is only partial I believe and I believe they are planning a full program change later which will require everyone to buy new receivers. Probably years down the road though. Heard something on this from NPR.

John Shuk
04-09-2008, 4:00 PM
I have XM and like it. I listen to Sirius at work sometimes when one of the guys brings it in. Both are decent but I like the XM equipment better and my XM usually has a better signal.

Jim Becker
04-09-2008, 6:13 PM
'Could be a moot point at some time given that there is something out there about them becoming one company...apparently the Justice Department has approved as of 28 March 2008

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/24/AR2008032401645.html?sub=AR

Mike Dauphinee
04-09-2008, 6:31 PM
Like others have said, maybe it doesn't matter. I listen to about 3 music stations and they give me all I want. I would guess that both have similar. But the one thing that I like is the weather and traffic that my XM integrated GPS has. It is great both around town and when traveling. XM also provides some weather services for pilots. I am betting that will remain.

Larry Browning
04-09-2008, 6:49 PM
Have you ever thought about internet radio? It is not an option in your car (yet) but for the shop it is great!. Tons of stations, no commercials, AND no subscription fees.

Joe Witts
04-09-2008, 8:54 PM
I have Sirius and I LOVE IT! My wife has XM in her car.....it's horrible! Besides Howard Stern (whom I love), they have a great variety of talk radio - the music is EXTREMELY much better and so is the Comedy. They also have The NFL package, ESPN, Nascar etc. Seriously.....Sirius is MUCH better than XM - unless you are into Oprah and all the self help BS that they throw at you.....

Hope this helps.

Joe

Keith Starosta
04-10-2008, 6:25 AM
I have Sirius and I LOVE IT! My wife has XM in her car.....it's horrible! Besides Howard Stern (whom I love), they have a great variety of talk radio - the music is EXTREMELY much better and so is the Comedy. They also have The NFL package, ESPN, Nascar etc. Seriously.....Sirius is MUCH better than XM - unless you are into Oprah and all the self help BS that they throw at you.....

Hope this helps.

Joe

I will most certainly agree with Joe on this one. I've had both XM and Sirius, and IMHO, Sirius is a far superior product to XM. The impending merger will give me the one thing that I am lacking in my current subscription...baseball. I enjoy listening to my hometown Detroit teams from the comfort of my living room in Central VA. ;)

- Keith

Stephen Beckham
04-10-2008, 7:01 PM
I have XM and have had it for about 4 years - love it - yes some stations have commercials, but for every one that does, I've found at least two others with similar programming that doesn't have the commercials.

IMHO - you will get about the same from both companies soon. The major difference is the equipment. Look for a piece that has lots of support - mine being four years old has nothing for it still in production - it's what it is... Can't use it portable, in a boom box, in doors etc... Just with the original antenna in the truck as it's set up! (BTW -no replacement antenna that I can find if it goes bad - wanted a second for the other car to make it swappable)

Tim Brooks
04-11-2008, 7:30 AM
I have Sirius as well and must say I am thoroughly enjoying the stations to which I listen. I have found a forum where you can find some interesting discussion about both brands (it is primarily a Sirius forum). If posting this link is a violation, please forgive me and remove it from my post: the name of the forum is sirius backstage.com

Be aware, however, that some of the programming is not rated; therefore, you must use discretion. In fact, some of the programming is down right nasty. Just so you know.

Mitchell Andrus
04-15-2008, 6:10 PM
OK, Sirius is up and running. Thanks, all.