PDA

View Full Version : Transtint Mix Stability

Jim Summers
04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Hello All,

Sorry for the odd title, but it was the closest I could come up with.

I am getting ready to finish a large bookcase ( at least to me ). It is 42" wide and 90" inches tall and 15" deep.

I am using transtint. I was wondering, if I mix it up to full strength, a quart I believe, is it ok to mix it and do some staining on test pieces. Then after that is signed off on, can I come back in a day or two and use the same mixture after stirring it up? Temperature should be fairly stable.

Do you think a quart is enough to stain the cabinet and five shelves and the bead board back?

TIA,
jim

mike holden
04-09-2008, 3:11 PM
Transtint, once mixed, remains mixed. Although I suppose you could let the water evaporate and then reconstitute.
It does NOT go bad, there is no shelf life.
I have some 8 - 10 jars mixed up sitting on my shelf waiting use.

Is a quart enough? Hard to say, not sure how deeply you want to stain the wood.

BTW, I only put 60 drops in a pint jar, and often thin that back.

Sounds like you have not used dye much. A sample board is a MUST. Also, be aware that the wood will look AWFUL until a finish coat or four have been put on.

Think you need to spend some time with the dyes, some shellac, and some daylight before you get discouraged. Dyes are wonderful, they are my first choice for coloring and evening tones, but you CANNOT work them by eye as you go along. You must have decided on what you are going to do first with a sample board and then you can go ahead with confidence.
Good Luck!
And keep us updated,
Mike

Dan Barr
04-09-2008, 3:57 PM
Transtint is some strong stuff.

the expression "a dab'll do ya" comes to mind. I acually put only 10-20 drops per pint first and then work up a little.

Use lots of scraps to make sure you get the desired effect. I made an entire SET of sample boards for one project when i first started using Transtint.

good luck

dan

Jim Summers
04-09-2008, 8:55 PM
Very cool.

I have done a couple of small projects with dye. The results were much better than using a regular pigment type stain. Those were both transfast powder dye and now come to think of it I did mix up all of the dye and used it over several projects.

Man, you should see the pile of cutoffs from the wood and plywood used. I knew I was going to have to make several samples / tests. The schedule I am going to use even calls for doing a glaze at one step of it. But that sounds pretty straight forward, brush some on then wipe it off. But I know that it won't be that simple. Could be one of those touch / feel things.

The thing that has me concerned though is, do I have enough dye. But since the project is still un-assembled, I can always stop after a piece is done when it gets low. Then get more.

Probably should also do certain groups at the same time. Like the face frame and trim pieces. Then the case. Then if there is enough do the adjustable shelves. That way, if I do have to mix a new batch maybe it won't be to noticeable if they are a little off.

Ideas / Suggestions?

Thanks Again!
jim