PDA

View Full Version : Possibly the buy of my woodworking career

Dave Dye
04-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I happened to spot a pile of mixed red and white oak in a garage several days ago. I got ahold of the guy who is a minister and ask him what he was going to do with it. He said, I'd sell it if someone wanted it. I ask him how much, he said $200. I about fell over. It is 130 to 150 boards, avearage 8"W, 8'L, 4/4, some 12"W, 12'L, 4/4, very few knots.

Color me very happy, I'll get a picture of the pile when I get it home.

Dave :D

J. Z. Guest
04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
That IS a great deal.

IMO, you should make something little for that minister or his church as a token of your gratitude.

Dave Dye
04-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks, that is a great idea and I will do that.

Dave

Jim Becker
04-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Gotta love it...and if there is any of it you don't want or need, you should be able to easily sell it for a nifty profit. Wood is a good investment, Dave...it's only going up in price.

Dave Dye
04-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Yep Jim, "some days you eat the bear, some days it eats you", I ate the bear on this one. Kinda works into my retirement on April 25th. I'm gonna hate that. I'm a little young to retire, but you don't live forever, I'll take my chances.;)

gary Zimmel
04-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Dave

Nice score on the oak. I agree with Jeremy that it would be nice to do something for the minister. It would make the boss upstairs happy......

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I saw some "bible boxes" recently in a magazine - might make a nice gift for the minister.

Don Bullock
04-09-2008, 6:26 PM
I happened to spot a pile of mixed red and white oak in a garage several days ago. I got ahold of the guy who is a minister and ask him what he was going to do with it. He said, I'd sell it if someone wanted it. I ask him how much, he said $200. I about fell over. It is 130 to 150 boards, avearage 8"W, 8'L, 4/4, some 12"W, 12'L, 4/4, very few knots.

Color me very happy, I'll get a picture of the pile when I get it home.

Dave :D

Stealing from a minister, shame.;):eek: His loss is sure your gain.:D

Phil Thien
04-09-2008, 8:08 PM
Stealing from a minister, shame.;):eek: His loss is sure your gain.:D

Heh. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Peter Quinn
04-09-2008, 8:22 PM
Nice! What are you ging to make? Lets hope you don't receive instructions in the mail for the construction of an ark!

I've been making small wooden crosses for my dad's church group retreat twice a year for a couple of years now. Takes me about 2 hours to make what they need for 6 months using scraps from my burn pile. They really like getting the pretty hardwood crosses vrs the pine kits they used to buy. Doesn't take much to make people feel special sometimes.