PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Bandsaw for sale?

James K Peterson
04-09-2008, 5:55 AM
I've been hoping to upgrade my bandsaw this year to something like a 14" or larger (really like the 18" jet and Rikon and SC) but this one came up in Craigslist near me (not too far anyway)
http://athensga.craigslist.org/tls/631613243.html
(sorry about the direct link, I'll remove it if it's not allowed in this forum).
it's a Jet 14" BS with the riser block installed and a recent poly wheel, and a few blades of unknown condition (asking $500). Seems ok in shape and price, but not great.

What to you all think? Just save up the extra for an 18" or break down and get this one? (I'm sure a 14" with risers would work for my resaw use, and 1HP should be ok for my exotic hard woods I use)

Thanks all
James

Bob Slater
04-09-2008, 7:33 AM
I am not an expert on pricing, but that sounds high to me. I bought a Delta 14" metal/wood model in very good/excellent condition for $350 a couple of weeks ago. It needs new belts and tires, then it will be 90% good as new. Seems to me a US made Delta should command more $$ than a used Jet. Hopefully others have some opinions.

Sam Yerardi
04-09-2008, 7:53 AM
I'd save for the larger bandsaw. I have a 12" and I can tell for a lot of what I do with a bandsaw (curves & resawing), the larger the better. $500 does sound high.

John Thompson
04-09-2008, 9:44 AM
Too much for a used 14" Jet BS even with the riser block. I've seen em on sale for about that amount... Personally I would offer $350 and go no higher than $400. The owner asking price is $500 as someone just may pay it.. but asking is not necessarily what he will actually take.

If you ask high and get it you have done well... but by asking high and barterting down you still get what you think it's worth and people like to think they talked you down to a bargain. Southern style and I would say Athens, Ga. is about as southern as you're gonna get. How bout dem Dawgs? ;)

Regards from Lawrenceville...

Sarge..

Scott Haddix
04-09-2008, 8:50 PM
A couple of months ago I purchased a Jet 18" in good condition with 3 blades for $500. I agree with the other posts, the price is high.