PDA

View Full Version : How many Beers?

Arturo Villegas
04-09-2008, 1:52 AM
Please tell me I aint the only one.

After a long day of work your buddies stop by on a Friday afternoon with a 24-pack of ( Whatever you like?) Corona's and then after 3 or 4 beers(maybe more) they want you to cut something for them. What do you do?
How many beers does it take to not jump on a machine ?

For some reason after a couple things dont look too straight.

thanks amigos,

Gary Breckenridge
04-09-2008, 2:11 AM
My rule is none before or during, but maybe a few after.:cool:

Ron McAllister
04-09-2008, 2:14 AM
Man, thats a loaded question if your loaded!:p Don't do it!!!!!!!

Tom Henderson2
04-09-2008, 2:16 AM
Arturo-
I hope you are joking....

Woodworking and booze don't mix.

-TH

Terry Teadtke
04-09-2008, 2:24 AM
Before, during, and after:eek:. The difference is there’s no alcohol in the beer I’m drinking:cool:. I all but quit drinking several years ago in my mid thirties but still like the taste of beer so now I drink non-alcoholic beer. Coors Non-Alcoholic and Kaliber are my favorites now. I cant stand O’Doul’s I may have one or two gin and tonics a year or a real beer every once in a great-great while but that’s about it.

Terry

Dan Barr
04-09-2008, 2:53 AM
especially when youve only begun your first drink and you only have a little something to do, but, like the other guys, i aint going to turn on a power tool if ive had a drop.

however, i will pick up a hand plane and make a few shavings after ive had a drink. I wont pick up a chisel though.

ciao,

dan

David Tiell
04-09-2008, 6:48 AM
I agree with everyone here. Why take the chance?

John Keeton
04-09-2008, 6:49 AM
This reminds me of the hunting trips I used to get invited to join. Nights filled with beer drinking, followed by everybody going out in a field at daybreak with guns in their hand, walking side by side, shooting at the first bird that would come up and fly God knows where!!

They always sounded like a disaster just waiting for the opportune time. Never went, glad I didn't, and cannot understand why anyone thought they were fun times.

Guns and alcohol don't mix, and neither do tools, cars, etc. About the only thing that goes with a drink is good company and a TV! Alcohol is a depressant. It effects the central nervous system, which, beyond the taste, is why people consume. It "relaxes." I need all of my fingers, and don't need to be running my tablesaw with a "relaxed" brain.

Dave Verstraete
04-09-2008, 6:49 AM
Arturo
Honestly...in the past, I used to have a two beer limit. I'm getting older and probably wiser although it was probably the fact that my granddaughter came downstairs (16 yrs. old) and said that she was worried when I was drinking while doing woodworking. Must be that the young can teach the old a thing or two. Now...before or during...zero.

NICK BARBOZA
04-09-2008, 6:52 AM
No beer till the shop day is over... i had some buddies that would drink while in the shop, but i was very against it. no booze and power tools!!!

Nick

Pat Keefe
04-09-2008, 6:56 AM
Even with a fully stocked bar fridge, pride of place, I don't touch a beer until finished playing for the day. Although a couple while cleaning helps:D

Lee Koepke
04-09-2008, 7:51 AM
The only tools I touch in my shop with a beer in hand:

1. Broom

2. Shop Vac

3. Pencil

But it is nice ( my fridge keeps the coldest beer in town ) to sit back and look at the mess I made !!!

Jason Roehl
04-09-2008, 8:03 AM
In general I don't, but I also know my limits and stick to them. I never drink more than 2-3 beers in a sitting anyway, because I know I can handle that many (spaced out, too, I don't guzzle my beer). If I know I'm going out to the shop, I won't start before I do, but if something comes up that requires tool use after I've had a couple, I do what needs to be done. If several guys are together working on someone's house or whatever, we may put back a few while we're working, too, but again, I know my limits.

Don Bullock
04-09-2008, 8:06 AM
I don't drink beer, so it's wouldn't be a problem.;):D

Per Swenson
04-09-2008, 8:19 AM
I am kinda of appalled, cause when I was drinkin,

one of these was good enough for me.

Per

Peter Quadarella
04-09-2008, 8:42 AM
Once I have a beer I am done touching sharp things for the day.

Joel Earl
04-09-2008, 8:55 AM
hung them up in the '70s. Ran a power machine called a Kawaski 900 LTD off a bridge one night. When I came to weeks later in hospital I realized power and drinking can = dead I stopped it all on a dead stop.:D

Bill Huber
04-09-2008, 8:56 AM
I don't drink a lot but when I do a good cold Shiner is great. But once I have a beer there is no shop work, maybe a little cleaning up but that is about it.

Rob Will
04-09-2008, 9:08 AM
Yeah, and somebody would set a cold wet beer on the cast iron table of my Moak 36......the next thing you know we would have a homicide on our hands:eek:.

Rob

Rod Sheridan
04-09-2008, 9:14 AM
Zero.................Rod.

Dave Verstraete
04-09-2008, 9:16 AM
Per
How much is a six pack?? What's the deposit on that can?

J. Z. Guest
04-09-2008, 9:31 AM
One, if I'm on an empty stomach and it is one of the 0.5 L, 5.5% alcohol European ones.

...and tell your buddies that next time, they need to come up with those ideas before you start drinking.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2008, 9:45 AM
The fridge is in the house not the shop...The beer is in the fridge..IF I have consumed beer....."Could you come back tomorrow".....

I'm with John...guns and beer don't mix......I was the heavy drinker in our "straight laced" elk camp. Once, one evening after we were done hunting, I consumed two beers.

Power tools and beer don't mix...........

Per...You have such good taste!

Carl Fox
04-09-2008, 10:04 AM
It's too late to be an April Fools joke. It's too easy to have a life-altering experience while sober.

Jon Crowley
04-09-2008, 10:05 AM
One is my limit for big tools with potential to lose digits. Two for hand tools, cordless drill, etc. If I've had more than two, it's typically because I'm doing something else and have no desire to be in the shop anyways.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-09-2008, 10:17 AM
I'll have a beer while working. However, I won't have like two or three while working.

Like everything else in life "a man's got to know his limitations."

Who said that.?

Dave Dye
04-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I love beer and will admit to running a ROS after a beer or two, that's as much machinery as I would handle after a beer.

Greg Cole
04-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I like beer too. I'll have beer in my shop and I have zero qualms about it. I don't smoke so if I sit and noodle out a problem... having a beer is very much my "cigarette". Something about a coke or ice tea doesn't seem to cut it.
If I'm going to sit and drink I can find other places to belly up to a bar, not a workbench. Safety, judgement and eye for detail are all suspect after a certain quantity for any & everyone, what the level is for any individual is up to said individual.

Greg

Greg Hines, MD
04-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Before, during, and after:eek:. The difference is there’s no alcohol in the beer I’m drinking:cool:. I all but quit drinking several years ago in my mid thirties but still like the taste of beer so now I drink non-alcoholic beer. Coors Non-Alcoholic and Kaliber are my favorites now. I cant stand O’Doul’s I may have one or two gin and tonics a year or a real beer every once in a great-great while but that’s about it.

Terry

Point of order: Non alcoholic beer does not have as much alcohol as real beer, but it does have some in it.

Doc

Jim Becker
04-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Easy answer. Once the first beer (or other adult beverage) is opened...the machinery is off limits. No exceptions.

JayStPeter
04-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Made the personal rule after learning the hard way with motorcycles. Nothing even remotely dangerous once I've taken the first sip.

Peter Quinn
04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
None...beer means no more power tools. I love to clean up and organize with a beer opened, but once I've had a single sip the dangerous work stops cold.

Plus I can't really enjoy my beer if I'm still working!

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I might take a whack with a hammer after one or two, or do some of the small 'shop chores' (cleaning, etc)...but I pretty much nix any power tool usage once the beer comes out.

Jason Beam
04-09-2008, 12:13 PM
1 is too many.

Period.

Peter Luch
04-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I grew up working in commercial construction (Hirise buildings) and it was common after work for the superentendent to buy beer for the guys.

Rule #1 was that if you even opened a beer you did not even think of grabbing a power tool or even walking back onto the job site.

We did a lot of crazy things after work drinking as you might imagine but never did anyone go back into the building or use any tools.

The same rules apply in my shop.
I only crack a beer after I'm done with all power tools, now as someone said the shop vac is OK to use while drinking a beer.:)
I might also crack one if I just need to apply a coat of finish on something at the end of the day.

Aloha, Pete

Ray Schafer
04-09-2008, 12:21 PM
I made a contract with my wife: I will not touch a tool after alcohol has touched my lips. I use that time to clean up and organize.

In my opinion, if you are touching tool after having a drink you are turning a dangerous hobby into a possible disaster.

Ken Shoemaker
04-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd answer that, How many fingers you willing to lose... The slightest lapse in judgement, and beer is known to do just that, could cost ya' a few. That's only if it's yours. But when the knuckle-head that broght the suds loses his, the lawsuit will be much higher.

Greg Peterson
04-09-2008, 12:39 PM
None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

No discussion or debate on the matter.

My body is far from perfect, but everything is attached and in fair working order. At my middle age, if something gets broken, it stays broken.

Rick Malloy
04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
When my neighbor comes over we open up the beers and start playing with the sharp things:eek::eek: And the more we drink the longer it takes to finish what we are doing. Sometimes I wonder if darts and beer don't mix, too many beers and one game of cricket can take hours:D

For me, beer time equals darts time.

jason lambert
04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
One maybe two if I am working all night, Usually none with the table saw or bandsaw though tools that scare me I don't mess with. With sanders and vacs though I may have more. But am always careful my worst accident was with a hack saw believe it or not just about took off my thumb completely off (no alcohol was involved, just my impatient father rushing me). Learned not to rush either.

Jeff Heil
04-09-2008, 1:14 PM
I find I get so engrosed in what I am doing my beverage gets warm. I can do that to a soda or glass of ice water, but wouldn't do that to a good beer...

I seldom drink in the shop. Not with power tools, ever.

The majority of beer consumption in the shop is while chatting with a visitor as it seems most family and friends end up in the shop to see what I am up to or the progress on a specific project when they visit our home.

Mike Monroe
04-09-2008, 1:23 PM
Quite often I'll have a single beer or a small glass of wine with the evening repast. Then after dinner I'll take a break to digest. Sometimes I'll head down to the shop afterwards and not feel the least bit impaired. But if I've just been hanging out at the neighbors pounding beers, I don't wven think about going into the shop.

Greg Hines, MD
04-09-2008, 1:45 PM
I'll have a beer while working. However, I won't have like two or three while working.

Who said that.?

I believe that Harry Callahan once said that, to dramatic results.

Doc

Russ Sears
04-09-2008, 1:59 PM
Two things I don't touch after the first swallow of beer, wine, scotch, whatever, are power tools and guns. I won't even clean my guns if I've had a beer. Power tools get the same level of respect from me. Besides, I make enough scrap wood when I'm stone sober.
Beer time is for relaxing and coming up with ideas, sketches and the like. It's also a good time to pick through the catalogs.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-09-2008, 2:47 PM

After a long day of work your buddies stop by on a Friday afternoon with a 24-pack of ( Whatever you like?) Corona's and then after 3 or 4 beers(maybe more) they want you to cut something for them. What do you do?

thanks amigos,

I love beer, but zero tolerance in the wood shop. Drink one and the party moves out of the shop.

Arturo Villegas
04-09-2008, 2:58 PM
I am now going to have a NO alcohol rule in my shop!:(

Its too tempting seeing them enjoy a cold beer and me not having one. Thanks for the input.

Terry Teadtke
04-09-2008, 3:14 PM
Point of order: Non alcoholic beer does not have as much alcohol as real beer, but it does have some in it.

Doc

According to the label the alcohol content of Coors NA beer is less than 0.5% per volume. That would mean I would have to drink at least seven bottles to equal the alcohol content of just one Miller or Budweiser. A person probably takes in more alcohol in the morning with their mouthwash than an NA beer.

Terry

Bill Wyko
04-09-2008, 3:59 PM
No alcohol before using tools with blades or cutting features(lathe) Maby the sander but that would be about it.

Joe Chritz
04-09-2008, 4:31 PM

Who said that.?

Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan in Magnum Force.

Every drop of alcohol effects you to some extent. What that extent is depends on a number of factors. The first thing to go is judgment so that plays a large factor in having trouble.

See my first sig, it is good advice.

Even drinking 1 per hour will eventually "catch up" and get you to a level where you shouldn't be doing anything dangerous.

Besides the answer is always 2, I had two beers.

Joe

Karl Brogger
04-09-2008, 6:55 PM

If I can't stand properly. I've done some of my best work 3 sheets to the wind. Besides, if you cut yourself you're already numbed up.

Jason Roehl
04-09-2008, 7:02 PM
Here's a related question: how many of you who won't set foot into the shop after any alcohol consumption go out there after a full day at work? Or, how many have put in a late night in the shop trying to get Christmas presents done or meet some other deadline?

I guarantee I am far more alert and capable with power tools after a beer or two on a Saturday morning (late morning, mind you) than at the end of a work day (even office-type work).

Karl Brogger
04-09-2008, 7:13 PM
There was something a while back some state was trying to make it illegal to drive while tired. The had some prototype machine that could measure how tired you were based on how quickly your eyes reacted to light.

Peter Quinn
04-09-2008, 8:03 PM
Here's a related question: how many of you who won't set foot into the shop after any alcohol consumption go out there after a full day at work? Or, how many have put in a late night in the shop trying to get Christmas presents done or meet some other deadline?

I guarantee I am far more alert and capable with power tools after a beer or two on a Saturday morning (late morning, mind you) than at the end of a work day (even office-type work).

Actually I have learned (was taught by those more experienced) to understand my state of mind and not run dangerous machines while tired too. I went back to work the weekend after my son was born. and had some work to do on the table saw for the project I was on. The boss took one look at me (I'd had about 6 hours of sleep over 4 days) and sent me to pull lumber for the next job. He told me to try and get some sleep and not to touch any machines until I had! This is a guy who needs to take off a shoe to count to seven so he learned the hard way. He's also stopped me from processing complicated jobs on the shaper near the end of a shift. He told me "Set it up, put it to bed, it will be here tomorrow, and so will your fingers, you're gonna need those for this job!"

Jim Becker
04-09-2008, 8:14 PM
If I can't stand properly. I've done some of my best work 3 sheets to the wind. Besides, if you cut yourself you're already numbed up.

Do remember that we have many minors and newbies who are members at SMC... ;)

Jim
SMC Moderator

Stan Welborn
04-09-2008, 8:34 PM
I'm of a mind it greatly depends on the person and their tolerance. Everyone is different. I've witnessed people who were highly affected after one beer. Then again, Andre the Giant once drank 119 12oz beers in one six hour period...

John Keeton
04-09-2008, 8:54 PM
I posted early on in this thread, and it looks like we are beating it to death. In the end, it really is a personal choice based on one's own view of their responsibility to themselves and those for which we bear responsibility. If your hands, and eyes, aren't critical to your livelihood or you have no one else depending on you, and your OK with having less than 10 fingers or loss of sight, then it really doesn't matter. Consume if you feel you can handle it. On the other hand, if one has responsibilities, and your hands and/or eyes are critical to your livelihood and putting food on the table, perhaps the question is best asked to those to whom the obligation is owed??!!?? Just a thought. Sometimes we think only of our own safety, and don't consider others that might have a stake in the situation.

Dan Lee
04-09-2008, 9:43 PM
Well for me I started WWing in my early thirties. A six pack on a hot Saturday and WWing with power tools was my idea of a great day.

In the ensuing 10 years I had a couple non alcohol related ER visits (my finger tip got pulled into a router bit, a bad kick back into my thigh, almost cut my thumb off when an axe hit a knot and deflected)

So I decided I hated ER rooms. So for the last 10 years or so no alcohol before or during WWing I just figure it improves the odds of a dreaded ER visit.

Now I more enjoy a liquid refreshment or 2 on a weekend day after a productive day of WWing ;)

Peter Quadarella
04-09-2008, 11:32 PM
In addition to not drinking when using tools - as soon as I feel my attention waver or my focus begin to fail, I stop using power tools. I do not do this for a living so I don't need to be in the shop. Therefore my thought is I shouldn't be risking body parts for a little bit more fun; I can go entertain myself with something a little safer when I'm in that state of mind.

Joe Jensen
04-10-2008, 2:24 AM
ZERO, not once in 30 years.

Dan Barr
04-10-2008, 3:42 AM
Of four pages of posts thus far on what I consider a no-brainer, we have three people who will drink and use power tools and the remaining 30 or so others that wont touch a power tool if they've had anything to drink.

I think the 97% speaks pretty clearly. But, people are going to make their own choices though.

hopefully all remains well with everyone.

ciao,

dan

Steven Hardy
04-10-2008, 4:44 AM

thanks amigos,

Hmmmm hate to inform some folks here....your body produces its own alchohol all the time....its called endogenous ethanol.
Another factoid,that differs from the zero-tolerance mind set:
http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/InTheNews/MedicalReports/other/20060322154127.html

John Lannon
04-10-2008, 4:56 AM
I would never try using machinery after drinking a few beers.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-10-2008, 9:23 AM
There was something a while back some state was trying to make it illegal to drive while tired. The had some prototype machine that could measure how tired you were based on how quickly your eyes reacted to light.

In New Jersey is you are foolish enough to inform the cop that you are tired you can get a citation.

If you tell 'em that you are hung over you are going to get a DWI whether or not you blow over.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-10-2008, 9:28 AM
This reminds me of the hunting trips I used to get invited to join. Nights filled with beer drinking, followed by everybody going out in a field at daybreak with guns in their hand, walking side by side, shooting at the first bird that would come up and fly God knows where!!

Free climbing (for those who might not know) it the art of scaling rock faces (cliffs) with no ropes or partners. If you fall - you fall.

In Europe there is a tradition among free-climbers to meet and spend the night in a tavern at the base of a cliff getting totally fashizziled. Then, first thing the next morning they are all out on the rock face having a competition.

Greg Narozniak
04-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Well Said Jason, I will have one or two while working but you have to know YOUR OWN limits.

J. Z. Guest
04-10-2008, 3:37 PM
Well Said Jason, I will have one or two while working but you have to know YOUR OWN limits.

I too was pretty surprised at how conservative the group is.

I find that sometimes I'm even more safe than usual after a beer or two, because I know that my reactions & judgements may be impaired. I don't take any chances.

Maybe a relevant side question is how many of us who have sustained injuries in the shop will admit to being at all influenced by alcohol at the time of the accident?

I've injured myself only once in the past 8 years of woodworking. While the belt sander was winding down, I accidently let me opposite hand touch the belt near the nib point. (where the belt re-enters the tool enclosure) That ripped off a good chunk of the end of that finger and was VERY painful. It took a long time to heal too.

I'm not advocating getting schnookered before ripping some twisted 12/4 curly maple on your mis-aligned radial arm saw, but I think awareness and forethought will prevent more accidents than being 100% sober.

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-10-2008, 4:00 PM
I too was pretty surprised at how conservative the group is.

Actually, I was a little surprised too.

Years ago I might have had one or two, but not any more. For starters, I have the utmost respect (read: fear) of what a TS could do, and I'm very very particular and careful when I use one. Then, a few years ago a guy I work with - a very accomplished woodworker (and guitar player), who was normally very cautious, made a mental mistake and lost the tip of his thumb, half his index finger, and a good chunk of the middle finger. and although he had not had a few drinks, it got me thinking....

Bruce Volden
04-10-2008, 5:27 PM
OK! I HAVE to chime in here too. I know a guy that says "You ain't fishing unless you blow a 0.37%" (blood alcohol)~~~~Would this hold true in WW'ing??:D:D

Bruce

William OConnell
04-11-2008, 9:21 AM
Zero Nada Zilch.
You ever watched an episode of cops and invariably the DWI suspect only had 2 beers. Me personally before I go near a spinning dado blade or chop saw or what ever I'm having a mini sober moment. I like to be stone cold sober when Im working and everyone around me needs to be too or they gotta go.
I'll probably get flamed for this but oh well
A friend of mine calls it thinning the heard

jeremy levine
04-11-2008, 9:28 AM
The only tools I touch in my shop with a beer in hand:

1. Broom

2. Shop Vac

3. Pencil

But it is nice ( my fridge keeps the coldest beer in town ) to sit back and look at the mess I made !!!
This should be a poster. :D

Dennis Peacock
04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
ZERO beer allowed before heading out to the shop.

ZERO beer allowed while in the shop.

ZERO beer allowed even if shop times is planned in a 24 hour period.

Personal injury or death isn't worth it. IMHO. :)

Rob Diz
04-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Funny how these threads work.

In the past, I never even thought of bringing a beer into my shop at any time.

Last night I glued up some panels. While I was waiting for the glue to set a bit so I could clean up the glue line, I actually opened a beer in the shop.

Granted, the only tools I was using were the broom, to clean the floor, and a dull scraper card to clean the glue line.

Still, it felt very strange to have a beer in the shop at all. I made a point of throwing the bottle away outside the shop - to destroy the evidence.

I don't know if I'll do it again, even during clean up. It was late, and my kids were very much asleep. But I would hate to have a beer open in the shop, even during clean up, and have my young children think that it was ok to have beer in the shop. I am constantly trying to make sure that they respect the power tools, and drinking beer in the shop might send them the wrong message.

Just my .02.