PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone built a tool stand?

Mark Grotenhuis
04-08-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm looking to build a stand for my (tiny) band saw. Has anyone built their own?

Also I just bought the porter cable omnijig and after lots of use I think I want to build a tool stand for it too. Only with the omnijig I may just build a regular cabinet so I can have some drawers in it to store all the stuff that goes with it.

Anyone build their own tool stands or have any links? I did a search and came up empty.

glenn bradley
04-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Use Google to search here. Much better results: http://www.google.com/search?sitesearch=sawmillcreek.org&q=tool+stand

Here's an example from that search from Chris P. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5960&d=1080058889

John Thompson
04-09-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm looking to build a stand for my (tiny) band saw. Has anyone built their own?

Also I just bought the porter cable omnijig and after lots of use I think I want to build a tool stand for it too. Only with the omnijig I may just build a regular cabinet so I can have some drawers in it to store all the stuff that goes with it.

Anyone build their own tool stands or have any links? I did a search and came up empty.

Not much to a sturdy tool stand... I build my own tool cabinets and quite a few tool stands... See if you can catch the smaller BS stand in the background by the outer door. Sorry.. but I don't have time to-nite to go down and get a close-up.. You may not as the pics can't be too big on the site.

Sarge..

Joe Chritz
04-09-2008, 2:09 AM
Can you weld? If so some angle iron makes a very nice and stable stand. I have a 2" belt grinder/buffer combo on one and it is rock solid. Some 3/8 bolts in the bottom make for easy leveling.

Joe

Wilbur Pan
04-09-2008, 6:33 AM
These bandsaw bases don't belong to me, but they're a good indication of what you can do with some MDF.

Mark Grotenhuis
04-09-2008, 9:44 AM
Thanks for the info about using the google search instead of the regular forum search... your right it gives much better results. That flip top table looks like a good idea for my band saw. The omnijig however is way to big for that application.

No I cant weld. I don't have a welder. I have a friend who does but I'd still much rather build it out of materials I'm comfortable with. Plus I have tons of scrap mdf and plywood, and no scrap metal.

J. Z. Guest
04-09-2008, 10:24 AM
I built a nice simple one for my benchtop drill press out of scrap plywood. I put locking casters on it and two sliding shelves. It is a simple, screwed-together affair.

Unless you have a bigger shop, be careful about making permanent fixtures for things that don't absolutely require them. After you do, you can't just hang them up any more.

mlcswoodworking.com has a free plan for a mounting block/drawer for their dovetail jig. Of course they reference all these MLCS bits you need to make it, but you could decipher that easily enough. With this one, it would still be semi-portable.