PDA

View Full Version : routed a sign - inlay and topcoat?

Leo Zick
04-08-2008, 11:42 PM
so, i bought a lettering kit for my router, and a nice piece of bubinga. made a sign, routed the edges, and now am confused about how to finish. (yes, im new to all this..)

for the inlay, im guessing i can buy a black (or maybe red?) acrylic paint, like for models(?), or use some ebony stain and q-tip it into the letters.

for the finish, i tested the back with tung oil. it really brings out the woods colors and adds a nice shine. i think i want to use this.

what about for a topcoat? i have some wax. do i put this after? do i varnish after then wax? no wax at all? im not sure of the function of any of this stuff, only that the tung oil made it look good. ive always just stained, then poly'd when i have made things in the past.

the sign will be inside, so, no worries for damage from the elements.

Too much to learn, i want to do so much!!

Thanks for the help.. :)

Joe Chritz
04-09-2008, 1:56 AM
Tung oil or tung oil finish?

Anytime tung oil is mentioned it seems to open a can o worms. Pure tung oil is just oil. It takes forever to dry and needs occasional reapplication. Plus, it offers no really benefit over boiled linseed oil.

Tung oil finish is generally a wiping varnish that has a tung oil base. It really isn't tung oil anymore. If you are moving toward tung oil from Woodworks that product is arm-r-seal available through a variety of distributors. It is good stuff, although the wiping varnish I use is waterlox since I was able to get it locally. Very similar and also very good stuff. Either would do very nicely on Bubinga and will give great protection.

Wax is often used to change the sheen of the project. I don't use it except on stuff I don't want glue to stick to or machine tops. If you like the look of the material after the "tung oil" then it is fine like that, especially if it is a varnish.

Joe

charles anderson
04-09-2008, 6:05 AM
After routing, I spray the inlay with flat black paint. After it dries I sand the face to get rid of the over spray, and then spray a coat of varnish on it. It leaves a good durable finish, and the inlay is glossy.

Leo Zick
04-09-2008, 7:32 AM
Tung oil or tung oil finish?

Anytime tung oil is mentioned it seems to open a can o worms. Pure tung oil is just oil. It takes forever to dry and needs occasional reapplication. Plus, it offers no really benefit over boiled linseed oil.

Tung oil finish is generally a wiping varnish that has a tung oil base. It really isn't tung oil anymore. If you are moving toward tung oil from Woodworks that product is arm-r-seal available through a variety of distributors. It is good stuff, although the wiping varnish I use is waterlox since I was able to get it locally. Very similar and also very good stuff. Either would do very nicely on Bubinga and will give great protection.

Wax is often used to change the sheen of the project. I don't use it except on stuff I don't want glue to stick to or machine tops. If you like the look of the material after the "tung oil" then it is fine like that, especially if it is a varnish.

Joe

its woodcraft pure tung oil.
guess i bought the wrong stuff.

so im assuming i can varnish over the tung oil?

Thanks!