PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out

Bruce Pennell
04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
I got a Delta 46-450 last week, nice trade deal. This is my first lathe.The lathe came with;15 tools, 6 mounting plates, 8 live centers, #2 to #1 morse taper, 20 drill bits, 4 chucks, and some stuff I haven't figured out yet. He was a machinist and had just replaced all the bearings, it also came with an extra head.
I've ordered 4 DVD's to watch, tried to get a class at WoodCraft (Full) so I'll watch the DVD's. I am going to my first turning club meeting Saturday, going to join. Have watched a lot of online video's. Already made some small stuff, today a whipped out a mallet head, and handle. I haven't used a lathe in 35 plus years, feels good to let the chips fly.
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing all your information, it sure helps. Thanks Bruce:D
My first question, I was told if I remove the index wheel and large nut I can get the small nut and turn large stuff off the outside end, is that true?

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Welcome back to the world of turning Bruce. Congrats on the lathe and what a haul. Holy cow you are set to go. Don't forget we like pictures of turnings. Look forward to some turnings.

Paul Douglass
04-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Can't answer your question, but wanted to say welcome. Awesome lathe you have. What a way to start out. Most of us start small and dream of working up to something like you have. How sweet it is?

Bruce Pennell
04-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks Paul and Bernie, got lucky the guy is moving back to Ohio from Arizona. I had gun I'd picked up in a trade years ago (had about $300 in the gun). So it turned out to be a good trade for both of us. He got a nice gun, I got a nice lathe. He did tell me he bought it in 1983 for $4600. I know the newer lathes are better but this one is very smooth. I think I did OK. Thanks for the welcomes. Bruce

Norm Zax
04-09-2008, 2:47 AM
Well done Bruce and welcome to the vortex!! Smallest advice from another newbie - don't think about those extra big bowls yet. Make a few dozen smaller ones first. You wont regret it.
Again, greal haul!
Norm

Bob Hallowell
04-09-2008, 4:07 AM
Bruce looks like your set but I would recomond a grinder and a wolverine sharpening system. Good luck and have fun.
Bob

Steve Busey
04-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Don't know about the index wheel, but I was amused that you've already converted your table saw into a "turner's table." :):D

robert hainstock
04-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I cannot answer your question either, but what a great haul. Welcome! :D
Bob

Bruce Pennell
04-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the welcomes and yes the table saw is a turners table. Need to build a cabinet. I forgot I did buy for $75 a delta sharpen system. Just got my video's today so I'll be doing some watching and practice turnings, FUN...FUN:D