PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Laser.....I am calling Ghost Hunters !

Anthony Scira
04-08-2008, 11:09 PM
I was not drinking or anything I swear ! My sister in law needed a multi-tool and I had a cheap one from Laserbits I was gonna give her.

Anyways my brother was over and we were engraving some stuff and put the multitool in the laser. Used the center-center print function and hit the Go button.

I am still at the point I watch the laser like a little kid saying thats the coolest thing ever !

And right when I said that was lined up PERFECT the tool moved about 1/4 of an inch.

Nothing hit it and its a fairly hefty tool for the exhaust to move it. My laser is haunted !

Any other explanations ?

Frank Corker
04-09-2008, 4:58 AM
You never set the home key. I usually check and put the pointer on running a dummy run with the lid open. You can stop it after a couple of seconds if it is wrong. Or, your laser is haunted, which is becoming more of occurence.

Dan Hintz
04-09-2008, 8:39 AM
Frank, I think Anthony was saying the tool itself moved a bit.

Anthony, was the tool possibly laying on top of one of the rivets/screws holding it together? Maybe it just tilted to one side after being nudged by the airflow...

Doug Griffith
04-09-2008, 9:54 AM
Maybe the little magnets that hold the height guage are so unbelievably strong that they affected the non-magnetic stainless steel that your tool is made from.

Or it could be gremlins.

Scott Shepherd
04-09-2008, 10:21 AM
A lot of stainless is magnetic, so Doug might have actually touched on something. Knife blades are commonly made from 400 series stainless, which many grades of are magnetic. Not to mention all the screws and rivets they use could easily be magnetic.

Stephen Beckham
04-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I've had the rivets sitting really close to a hole and have them 'jump' into the hole with the vibrations. I always set the knives on foam now and I always start the raster with the door open to make sure it's not going to wobble with the speed of the head moving.

But I'll never put it past an ET type being in the laser! Shhh - it's a conspiracy.

Peck Sidara
04-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Ghostbusters!

No, not really. My guess is either the auto-focus plunger or air-assist nozzle hit the tool as it rastered. Especially true if the tool isn't perfectly flat.

Lisa Walter
04-10-2008, 2:58 PM
Maybe it was your magnetic personality :)

Bill Cunningham
04-10-2008, 9:17 PM
Nope yer all wrong!!! It's shop gremlins, every shop has them, I got a thousand running around mine.. The funny thing is, the older I get the more gremlins I seem to have.. Once your over 60, the retched things follow you everywhere... Have something in your hand, put it down...IT'S GONE!!! Find something you have been missing for a while and decide to put it someplace so you'll know exactly where it is the next time you need it? Might as well just throw the damn thing in the garbage, because you will never see it again!! Shop Gremlins..Their gonna drive me nuts and theres not a darn thing I can do about it... Grrrrrrrr..Damn!!! Now their even screwing up my spellig..