PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman - Steel City - the same?

Aaron Poindexter
04-08-2008, 8:56 PM
Does anyone know if the Craftsman 22124N tablesaw is made by the same people who make the entry level Steel City tablesaw?

Cliff Polubinsky
04-08-2008, 8:59 PM
Yes. Orion makes the Craftsman 22124 saw. I have one and it's a nice piece of machinery.

Cliff

Gary Kvasnicka
04-08-2008, 8:59 PM
Yes, I believe they are both made in China by Orion. I have the Craftsman and have been very happy with it.

Robert Meyer
04-08-2008, 9:15 PM
Yes. Both saws are manufactured by Orion Machinery Co., Ltd which I believe is based in Japan but manufactures tools in Taiwan and China. The table saws sold by Sears and Steel City are manufactured in China. They share internal parts somewhat, not sure if motors are shared or not but fences are made to order for each reseller. Many of these Orion parts are used in the Delta and several other hybrid table saws, thought only Sears and SC have cabinet mounted trunions. SC saws have a five year warranty ... not sure about Sears warranty. If you are deciding between these resellers you might want to do a search on the Creek as many opinions have been expressed concerning them.

michael flay
04-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Yes. Both saws are manufactured by Orion Machinery Co., Ltd which I believe is based in Japan but manufactures tools in Taiwan and China. The table saws sold by Sears and Steel City are manufactured in China. They share internal parts somewhat, not sure if motors are shared or not but fences are made to order for each reseller. Many of these Orion parts are used in the Delta and several other hybrid table saws, thought only Sears and SC have cabinet mounted trunions. SC saws have a five year warranty ... not sure about Sears warranty. If you are deciding between these resellers you might want to do a search on the Creek as many opinions have been expressed concerning them.
Orion is a division of steel city tools

glenn bradley
04-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Does anyone know if the Craftsman 22124N tablesaw is made by the same people who make the entry level Steel City tablesaw?

If you call the C-man tech support number for the 22124, you get Steel City Tool Works. Same folks, same warehouse, many shared parts, etc. etc. If you do a Google search here on 22124 I believe you will find more info on the common thread within these tools than you could ever want. I run a 22124 and find it very satisfactory. I have never had to make any adjustments since the initial setup.

Terry Browne
04-09-2008, 8:10 AM
Fine Woodworking did a test of hybrid saws in the Winter 2007-2008 issue and they tested both SC and Craftsman saws. You can find the magazine at your local library. Both saws had favorable ratings - and it's worth a look if you're interested.

scott spencer
04-09-2008, 9:35 AM
Orion is owned by Steel City and produces the Craftsman and SC hybrids. They're very similar...nearly identical from what I can see, but the fences are different, and I've seen claims that the specs are tighter on the SC and a beefed up trunnion to support theri 3hp version of the same saw. SC also has a longer standard warranty. My 22124 has served me well.

Denny Rice
04-09-2008, 3:50 PM
I too own the Craftsman zip code saw made by Orion. I have owned this saw for quite awhile, and still very pleased with this saw. It has done everything I have ask it to do.:)

michael flay
04-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Goto www.laneton.com (http://www.laneton.com) and you will be taken to the web site for the manufacturer of steel city's and sears table saws, bandsaws etc, complete with pictures and descriptions. One interesting picture is of a new model with riving knife that I suspect we will see offered this year by Steel City Tools.

Brian Effinger
04-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Goto www.laneton.com (http://www.laneton.com) and you will be taken to the web site for the manufacturer of steel city's and sears table saws, bandsaws etc, complete with pictures and descriptions. One interesting picture is of a new model with riving knife that I suspect we will see offered this year by Steel City Tools.

Actually, I believe they already have it, even though it is not advertised yet. One of their tech dept guys told me it would be in their warehouse sometime around March 18th. If you are interested, it might be worth it to give them a call. So far for me, Steel City customer service has been top notch.