PDA

View Full Version : New Mustard and finally a camera...

Fred Conte
04-08-2008, 8:24 PM
Well I can now post photos...finally got a small digital camera!

First off I want to thank the Lord for such a blessing!

Secondly, I want to thank Scott Hubl and Ken Fitzgerald for their advice especially Scott's research.

1. Just Arrived home from freight terminal

2. Got it in the shop

3. Roll-Around grinding station (the belt is 180 grit for touching up tools)

4. All set-up

Question for you 3520 vets - when I first powered it up the tach display indicated zero but the power switch was off, I couldn't find anything in the manual, is this right?

Otherwise, she ran very smoothly, no vibration whatsoever, sweet!

I also ordered the dust port but it is backed ordered from WHM for several weeks.

tim mathis
04-08-2008, 8:33 PM
it's a o.k.

Richard Madison
04-08-2008, 9:45 PM
Fred,
Even when it is off, it is still on and the tach will indicate zero. Not a problem.

Larry Marley
04-08-2008, 9:55 PM
Yep, what Richard said...

I recommend you unplug when not in use or use a disconnect so those FL storms don't spoil the mustard with any arkie sparkies...

Congratulations on the new machine by the way!

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Fred - Congrats on your new lathe! I have a Jet 1642 and is pretty much the little brother to what you have - the lathe is on all the time - that's why the tach displays zero. Highly recommend that you unplug the machine when not in use - just to be safe!

Scott Hubl
04-08-2008, 10:30 PM
CONGRATULATIONS Fred !:cool:

SWEET lookin setup you have there.

Glad I and others were able to help you.

Like others have said, the LED is always on, so 0 is perfectly normal while switched off.;)

Have FUN with your new ~GOLD~ Baby.

Fred Conte
04-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks everyone, glad to know the led display being on is normal.

Yes, I definitely will unplug it when I'm done. We have been getting some nasty thunderstorms the past couple of days. Saturday I was up on a ladder hanging some shelves when a strike hit about 30 yds from the shop. I nearly fell off the ladder but managed to land on my feet instead of my backside.:eek:

Thanks again for everyone's advice and support! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Congrats Fred! Welcome to Club Mustard!

Tangy mustard beat a blah Mayo anytime!

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Congrats Fred. Have some fun on that thing.

Jon Lanier
04-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Oh sweet baby! :D

Tom Sherman
04-09-2008, 10:21 AM
A fine gloat Fred.

robert hainstock
04-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I bought two new garage door openers before i put a surge protector on the thing. and as a retired electronics repair guy Leaveing them plugged in will genersate a lot of grief. It is also smart to make sure you have a good copper plated ground rod installed. Right by the machine would be really nice.
That sure is a pretty thing in an ugly sort of way.:):)
Bob

Ken Glass
04-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Fred,
Welcome to "Club Mustard." By all means unplug it, when not in use. I know you will really enjoy it. It is a great machine.

James Gillespie, Jr.
04-09-2008, 3:04 PM
As noted, the display will read 0 even when the switch is off because the inverter still has power. The on/off switch just controls power flow from the inverter to the motor. When you manually rotate your work piece to check it out, you'll see the display change, it shows you how fast you are rotating the spindle. Also, the dust port assembly is back ordered until the end of May, last I heard.

Fred Conte
04-09-2008, 5:39 PM
That's exactly what I noticed when I rotated the spindle.:cool:

As far as the dust port I called WHM today and they told me that the soonest they will have dust ports in is sometime in June:(

Neither one of their warehouses have any...:eek:

Richard Madison
04-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Does anyone know if WHM has an "official" opinion or recommendation re. leaving the EVS lathes "plugged in"? Obviously it is a good idea to unplug or pull the breaker when electrically nasty weather is expected. But one has to wonder if connecting and disconnecting the power supply/converter one or more times a day is good for it.

Just wondering in Wimberley.

George Morris
04-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Fred congrats welcome to the club!! I have the dust port on mine ,and for bowls it really does not work well looks like it is good for spindles. I am going to retrofit something that i saw on the Mustard Monster site, If you have not gone to that site it is great!! Good luck!! You can find a link on the AAW web forum site for it. George

Scott Hubl
04-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Heres the link to that site.
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_1hb4nbm&revision=_latest

I must have got lucky when I ordered mine , all the accessories were delivered with the lathe.
I agree on the dust port, mostly good for spindles, not sure why I ordered it I don't plan on much spindle work, but as long as I was ordering I thought I might as well get everything all at once and save on later shipping costs and having to pay full price for each accessory.

I use this one from Woodcraft for most stuff.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/Woodnet/DustHoodwithStand.jpg

James Gillespie, Jr.
04-10-2008, 12:22 PM
June? Wow, they must have put them on a row boat from Taiwan.

Dennis Peacock
04-10-2008, 1:44 PM
Congrats on the new mustard Fred..!!!!!

Sean Ackerman NY
04-10-2008, 2:59 PM
Congrats Fred! Enjoy!

Bill Wyko
04-10-2008, 4:23 PM
Nice Hot Rod you got there! We'll be looking forward to pics of your work soon.:)