PDA

View Full Version : stone supplier ???

Thomas Edwards
04-08-2008, 4:51 PM
Question to all, I have customer that is remodeling a lake house. The kitchen will have a full tiled backsplash and the customer would like to add a piece of laser etched stone into the design of the backsplash. The approx. size of the stone for laser etching is 20" H x 30" W, thickness probably 3/8". The customer would like either a slate or marble (brown or blue stone color). My local tile company supplier says they can't get a piece as large as I need. I have ran some smaller pieces of slate in the past but now I need a little help finding a larger piece. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Joe Pelonio
04-08-2008, 6:13 PM
I'd be surprised if anyone has a place that sells that as a stock item.

You need to find a custom kitchen counter place, which normally sells only wholesale to builders. We have a couple around here that will do custom sizes and thicknesses and will let you choose the material. It's going to cost though. I traded some signs for a piece that would have been $250, it was 3/4" thick marble 24"x30", nicely polished.

Belinda Barfield
04-08-2008, 7:43 PM
Tom, I see you are in SC. I suspect you won't find anyone who carries 3/8" thickness as the standards are 3 cm or 2 cm. The 2 cm is 3/4" give or take. If you are interested I can take the stone down to 3/8" for you, but Joe is correct . . . it won't be cheap. If I happen to have a piece on hand that is the selected color it won't be as expensive, but if I have to purchase an entire slab the price increases significantly as most slabs are around 115" x 65" and I would have to charge you for the waste as well. Check with your local stone fabrication shops. Most stone shops will sell "remnant pieces" with polished edges to the general public if you can install it yourself. I don't know if anyone in your area has the ability to take the stone down in thickness though. If you can't find what you are looking for let me know.