PDA

View Full Version : ever heard of this DC unit?

Patrick Melchior
04-08-2008, 2:42 PM
http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=47

I have not heard this name thrown around the forum. I wass just wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge.

thank you

Mark Engel
04-08-2008, 3:22 PM
I have heard of this company (JDS)before. I have been using their Accu-Miter for many years. I did not know about these new cyclone units.

I went ahead and called to find out their prices. The 2hp unit is $1095 and the 3hp unit is $1595. Shipping charge to the east coast is $125.00. JDS is in South Carolina. You can pick these up at the warehouse to save the shipping cost, you will be charged SC sales tax.

Thom Sturgill
04-08-2008, 3:50 PM
I saw them listed on Woodcraft's web site, the 3hp unit lists for $1699.

Mark Engel
04-08-2008, 4:02 PM
I think the one listed on the Woodcraft site is the old model. The new models just came out about a month ago, according to the person I spoke to at JDS.

Here is a link to the new 3hp unit:

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=27

glenn bradley
04-08-2008, 4:07 PM
They have been around for awhile. Woodcraft and others sell them. They are in the middle of the pack in most comparisons. The 3HP has an amazingly flat curve but I do not know if this is particularly good or not.

The new units look really well designed and bring portability to the cyclone arena (along with Oneida). Their ambient cleaner has won the bake-offs in a couple of mags. I have seen the single stage units and they appear well made.

Like you, I am curious because no one seems to mention them on the forums. Maybe they just work so well, no one notices them(?). Maybe there is something we should know and not many folks have them(?). I'll be interested to hear.

Dan Lee
04-08-2008, 6:25 PM
I think the one listed on the Woodcraft site is the old model. The new models just came out about a month ago, according to the person I spoke to at JDS.

Here is a link to the new 3hp unit:

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=27

Did you get the pricing for it? Looks like a nice unit

Randal Stevenson
04-08-2008, 9:57 PM
Prior to me using the EZ system more, I seriously considered the 2HP unit. It was the only cyclone, that would fit in my height requirement (6' ceiling), without trying to use something like a dust deputy or clearvue mini.

Mark Engel
04-09-2008, 9:24 AM
Did you get the pricing for it? Looks like a nice unit

Yeah Dan, I called JDS to get the current pricing:

I have heard of this company (JDS)before. I have been using their Accu-Miter for many years. I did not know about these new cyclone units.

I went ahead and called to find out their prices. The 2hp unit is $1095 and the 3hp unit is $1595. Shipping charge to the east coast is $125.00. JDS is in South Carolina. You can pick these up at the warehouse to save the shipping cost, you will be charged SC sales tax.

Mike Heidrick
04-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Watch Amazon. They were selling the 2hp for $699 and the 3hp for $899 about 6 mos ago. Many boys on Woodnet jumped on these deals. You could as over ther for reviews. They like them because they are not as tall as some of the other DCs.

Mike Heidrick
04-09-2008, 10:51 PM
I looked at your link closer. The amazon deals were on their older style more conventional cyclones with stands. These on the JDS site are new designs.

Jamie Buxton
04-10-2008, 12:30 AM
JDS has a shorter cyclone cone than its competitors. That makes the device shorter, which is good. However, if I'm recalling the conversation correctly, the drawback is that more dust continues through the cyclone into the filter, so you need to clean the filter more often. If you're mostly a weekend warrior, that may not be a big drawback for you.

Mark Engel
04-10-2008, 10:59 AM
JDS has a shorter cyclone cone than its competitors. That makes the device shorter, which is good. However, if I'm recalling the conversation correctly, the drawback is that more dust continues through the cyclone into the filter, so you need to clean the filter more often. If you're mostly a weekend warrior, that may not be a big drawback for you.

That may not be much of an issue anyway. The new design includes an automatic filter cleaner. I thought that that was a pretty cool feature, although, I guess you would have to empty the bag under the filter more often.

Self Cleaning Canister:
The JDS Cyclones are equipped
with a 1 micron canister that is
self cleaning. Every time the
unit is turned off a signal is sent
to the canister motor that
activates cleaning "flappers"
inside the canister!

Mark Engel
04-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I looked at your link closer. The amazon deals were on their older style more conventional cyclones with stands. These on the JDS site are new designs.

It looks like Amazon is now carrying the new models. Unfortunately, they are asking full list price(albeit, with free shipping). :(

Jamie Buxton
04-10-2008, 11:13 AM
That may not be much of an issue anyway. The new design includes an automatic filter cleaner. I thought that that was a pretty cool feature, although, I guess you would have to empty the bag under the filter more often.

Hmmm... I wonder what the impact on filter life is? The filter cleaning schemes I've seen are essentially semi-stiff paddles which knock the filter paper along the inner edges of the corrugations. Knocking the filter once a month or so (like if you had a manual cleaner) probably doesn't wear it out. Knocking it every time the cyclone is turned off would be quite a few times a day in my shop.