PDA

View Full Version : Augers

Burt Alcantara
04-08-2008, 11:47 AM
I'd like an auger that's over 12". That pretty much means 18" OAL. The only inexpensive ones I've found have long pilot points. I checked Enco and MSCDirect. Their 18x1" extended drills are waaaaaaay up there in price ($56 - 150).

I tried a forstner bit but found it slow, tedious and prone to jamming.

What are you guys using to bore out your hollow forms?

Burt

Andy Hoyt
04-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Seems to me that an auger bit would be far too aggressive. I've actually had my best luck on end grain with twist bits

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2008, 3:57 PM
Burt I just the Monster HF tool with the straight bit. I find no need to drill a hole first and if I do I use my big Ellsworth bowl gouge. Set the tool rest so the gouge is right at center and plunge it in. I pull it out to clear chips and back in again till I am at the depth I want but like I said I just don't see a need.

Burt Alcantara
04-08-2008, 4:06 PM
Bernie,
That same idea crossed my mind. I was thinking about doing a modified back hollow but thought it might be too aggressive. I'll give that a try next vessel. Getting a clean hole makes a big difference.

Andy,
Twist bits are great but where do you get one that's long and wide? The longest I've seen was 6".

Burt

robert hainstock
04-08-2008, 4:17 PM
HF has 24in bits that come three in a set, and in three different size groupings for less than ten bucks.
I'd use the plunge methed too. :)
Bob

Andy Hoyt
04-08-2008, 4:28 PM
Here ya go Burt.

http://www.msdiscount.com/columnar.aspx?cat_id=6913&session_id=861674648&category_site=STARTOOL

Burt Alcantara
04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Robert,
The HF set is about 1/2" or a tad larger. Way too small, otherwise I would have bought it a long time ago.

Andy,
Thanks for that page. I thought I went thru everything but I must have missed it. Still, 1x18" at $65 is too long on the $$$ so I guess I'll "take the plunge," so to speak...:D

Burt

robert baccus
04-08-2008, 11:43 PM
I,ve been using a 2" and 2.5" forster bit on two heavy extension shafts very sucessfully. for years i used a long (12") 1.5" dia. spade bit. anything to get away from the center titty! i use a 20" general lathe and this might not work on a smaller machine.----------ol forester

Andy Hoyt
04-09-2008, 12:05 AM
If all one is after is to escape the Infernal Vortex Cone of Death or just to drill a depth hole - why does it have to be a big fat one incher?

Scott Hubl
04-09-2008, 1:00 AM
You can buy LONG drill bits at HD, I bought a 15" long 3/8 IRWIN Speedbor bit they have several sizes to choose from.

They also have BLU-MOL XL (Extended Length) drill bits in several sizes also, there a little shorter than the IRWINS.

A small hole drilled to depth is really all you need to avoid the center and have a nice starting point to hollow from the center going outwards. They sell bit Extenders too, for even more depth. All for around $10.00 or less each.

Burt Alcantara
04-09-2008, 8:07 PM
I prefer the 1" because I find it easier to hollow. I've only turned about 5 vessels and find I can hollow better with a big hole. I know you old hands can probably turn without a hole of any kind but I'm not there yet.

I have an Irwin long extender for the forstner but it wobbles a bunch and I've had the bits jam into the vessel too many times.

Burt