PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on overhead table saw blade guard

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Looking to get an overhead blade guard for my Unisaw mostly for the dust collection. Looking at Excalibur or Exactor. Just looking to hear experiences with either of these products (or any other, home made included) and advice on where to best purchase. Thanks in advance!

Jesse Cloud
04-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I have the Exactor. I would give it a B+. It helps with the dust a lot, especially on middle of the board rip cuts. When you are cutting a rabbet on an edge or trimming off an edge, it misses a lot. What I really like about it is that it is very easy to move out of the way when not in use (e.g. with a cross cut sled, dado, etc.).

So I'm not raving about it, but it was worth the $$.

Mark Carlson
04-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Jim,

I was looking for an easily removable splitter with a blade guard that had good dust collection. I didn't want a boom arm. I ended up getting a Shark Guard.
I like it a lot.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54651&d=1168228127

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
That looks great, Mark. Unfortunately, I have 24' high ceilings and I require a boom arm as well. Thanks for posting!

John Lanciani
04-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi Jim,

Have you looked at the Brett guard? It's the only one I've ever used, but I really like the fact that it is very stout and acts as a hold-down unlike some of the others that ride up and over the wood during the cut. I'm right next door (Lunenburg), so feel free to PM me if you'd like to come and give it a hands on.

John

Andy Pratt
04-08-2008, 1:44 PM
Agreed with Jesse on the exactor on all counts, absolutely worth the money

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-08-2008, 3:45 PM
Hi Jim,

Have you looked at the Brett guard? It's the only one I've ever used, but I really like the fact that it is very stout and acts as a hold-down unlike some of the others that ride up and over the wood during the cut. I'm right next door (Lunenburg), so feel free to PM me if you'd like to come and give it a hands on.

John

Hi John, Very kind offer, might take you up on that. I'm most interested in dust collection. How does it work for DC?

glenn bradley
04-08-2008, 3:54 PM
I have the PSI which is not in the class of the Excalibur or Exactor. I am glad to have it and here's my take as it would apply to any overarm:

pros -
Dust collection - you need some serious suck to make this a good feature though.
Safety - clear hood with good visibility and a decent width to allow "wiggle" room on either side of the blade without making contact.
Swing-away - The unit moves quickly and easily out of the way as required so I am more inclined to put it into position when I should.

cons -
DC requirements - You need a lot of suck as mentioned above or chips get away from the airstream.
Duct size - Mine has only a 2-1/2" hose at the hood, expands to 3" for the boom and 4" at the exit. Wish it was 4" all the way.

I don't use it on every cut but I do use it almost every time I am using the saw.

Stephen Edwards
04-08-2008, 4:07 PM
A friend of mine has this one. I'm gonna buy it, too and build a boom:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tsguard-dh.html

John Lanciani
04-08-2008, 4:32 PM
Jim,

The brett guard has a 2" port in it, which I find to be more than adequate since there is not much open space around the guard. I actually sometimes have a problem with too much suction, it will pick up small cutoffs from time to time.

The door is always open...

John

Rod Sheridan
04-09-2008, 7:52 AM
Hi, I have an Excalibur on a General 650 and like the guard very much.

The dust collection is excellent when cutting sheet goods, or any material which is as large as the footprint of the guard.

It's great to be sawing melamine and have a clean shop, and clean apron, as opposed to an apron pocket full of dust.

I also have the Merlin removable splitter on the saw.

Regards, Rod.

John Thompson
04-09-2008, 9:48 AM
I built my own but would suggest the Shark Guard by Lee S. Excellent quality and works like a charm...

Sarge...

Greg Cole
04-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Another vote cast for the Shark, I have version 8. Nicely made, not ridiculously priced and the newer ones have 4" DC openings.
Rumor is there's a new one in the works as well, version 9.0 IIRC.
Lee says he's got his shop tooled up to cut down lead time as well, he's as good to deal with as any.

Cheers.
Greg

Jim Becker
04-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I was very pleased with the Excalibur that I had on the cabinet saw I used to have in the shop. Worked very well and was easy to remove when the need occured.

JayStPeter
04-09-2008, 11:06 AM
When I get around to it, I'm going to sell my older Excalibur and get a Shark guard.

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
When I get around to it, I'm going to sell my older Excalibur and get a Shark guard.
Jay, Why do you say you want to sell your excalibur and get a shark guard? I was leaning towards an excalibur for it's price point and known quality (I have the sliding table). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the shark guard is just a plastic cover that you'd have to build a boom arm, no? Just curious why the shark guard is getting so many raves, given the lead time for delivery.

JayStPeter
04-09-2008, 2:32 PM
Jay, Why do you say you want to sell your excalibur and get a shark guard? I was leaning towards an excalibur for it's price point and known quality (I have the sliding table). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the shark guard is just a plastic cover that you'd have to build a boom arm, no? Just curious why the shark guard is getting so many raves, given the lead time for delivery.

Well, since I was thinking about it I ordered a Shark. Got the widemouth version for the best possible DC.

My older Excalibur is actually what became the Exaktor (same model number EX0A+??), basically a yellow Exaktor. There are a number of reasons I want to change.

1. The upright and support of the Excalibur gets in the way in my new shop configuration these days so I'd prefer it off my saw. I'll hang some flexible tubing from the ceiling with no hard piping on the Shark.
2. While I agree with Jim that it's fairly easy to remove and reinstall, it's not nearly as easy to R&R as the splitter. I find myself removing it and never actually using it. So, I wind up moving it around the shop. I use my splitter regularly, but don't use the guard often. The shark guard looks significantly faster and more compact. I plan to hang it on the wall right next to the saw when not in use (with DC tube still attached). The part removed from the Excalibur is a piece of pipe with the guard and counterweight mechanism all attached. Not very compact or easy to deal with. It probably takes around a minute to reinstall and readjust it. Not bad, but I'm hoping the Shark will be seconds (ie grab it off the wall and slap it on the splitter).
3. The DC on it isn't great. I suspect hooking a 4" tube directly to the guard on the widemouth Shark will work considerably better than the not well sealed 4-to-3-to-2 1/4 on my Excalibur. The newer Excaliburs are probably better in this regard, but the Shark still appears to be better. We'll see once I get it (looks like a couple months).