PDA

View Full Version : Interesting guy

Tom Godley
04-08-2008, 10:06 AM
About an hours drive from Philadelphia we have an interesting woodworker named Ken Cira -- he makes the most wonderful furniture/ chests with raised monograms. He was recently profiled in the Philadelphia Inquirer

I have been on the list for one of his "seaman" chest as well as an upright "German" style. I received a call yesterday morning that my monogram "prototype" drawing for the seaman chest is finished and he was mailing it out - even this is a work of art.

Now I have to decide what I want him to put on the inside!

Take the time to read the article -- always inspiring to see people with the vision to make something and the talent to actually do it.

Oh -- since I am already in line I do not have to worry about anybody cutting in :)

My cut and paste abilities are not the best but this is the link from google

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_region/20080218_Downingtown_man_makes_one-of-a-kind_chests.html

Ben Rafael
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Nice stuff, but 275 hours to make one chest and he only charges as much as $5000?
He is seriously underpricing his work, that is about $20 per hour and it includes the wood, wear and tear on his tools....
At that price he is giving it away.

Larry Fox
04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
WOW - that is incredible. Regardless of where he lives in Downingtown he can't be more than 25 minutes from my house.

Jim Becker
04-09-2008, 10:46 AM
It's nice to learn about another fine craftsperson in our area, Tom. We are blessed with many, past and present, and what's even nicer is that most are very personable and approachable, too.