PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about security

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Da missus 'n I have been contemplating a security system.

For all manner of reasons there is no "service" that I find even remotely palatable. I'd rather go it alone.

Has any one had any experience with any of the various options such as CCTV; Infra red and other motion detection etc. If I went with CCTV I'd hard wire everything and have a master panel in the master suite.
The other systems I'd be OK with RF transmission so long as it was reliable. I'd also like to think about an archival safe storage for recording events.

However, I have a zero knowledge base just now. So, I'm looking for input.

Matt Meiser
04-08-2008, 10:42 AM
To be clear, it sounds like you are looking for a camera system, not a security alarm system? Or are you looking for both? I have very limited knowledge on camera systems, but I have a friend who's built a PC-based system from off the shelf components and some open source software. I installed a alarm system and could give some advise there.

Andy Hoyt
04-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Check out AT&T's remote monitoring service (https://www.attrm.com/?DCMP=att_remotemonitor).

Joe Chritz
04-08-2008, 11:53 AM
The best is a combination of a good video system and a good silent alarm system.

I only have experience with either very low quality systems or very high quality systems. Not much in the individual market.

The advantage to a monitored system, audible or silent is that when it trips someone comes to look.

Joe

Greg Muller
04-08-2008, 1:40 PM
Actually, this is a very timely question.

We are having Brinks come out and install a system for us this thursday.

We had an attempted break in a few weeks ago while the LOML was working from home- she hid in the closet after seeing out the window that one of them had a gun- but the front door held despite their kicking. The four youths (one 18, three other were 14-16 yrs old) gave up and drove off, but not before the neighbor got the license plate numbers. Police caught up with them and after a brief chase, caught them.

Anyway, the wife wants a loud alarm and monitoring. I got a 9mm and will be teaching her gun safety and use also. I was on a marksmanship team while in the service and for a while afterwards- actually won a few regional awards.

We went with Brinks due to numerous recommendations from neighbors that have it. A couple have even switched from another major security company to Brinks. They reported an ex-employee of that other service had started using the "universal" entry code that was meant for installers/police use only for some break-ins. I wasn't comfy with a security service that utilizes a "universal" code.

Brinks also only costs about $30/month for monitoring. Installation is reasonable at under $1000 for about two dozen devices (windows, doors, motion, etc)

I would be curious as to why you don't like the monitored service? Cost? Contracts?

By the way- I have no affiliation with Brinks or any other service. Just a customer-to-be.

Greg

Craig Kershaw
04-08-2008, 2:14 PM
At my house we use a local provider for our system and the monitoring; they were very good with the set up and fairly reasonable in annual cost. We also have a four legged system(95 lbs German Shepherd) and off course my good Austrian friend Mr. Glock.

Amy Leigh Baker
04-08-2008, 4:15 PM
I had Brinks installed for my Mom & I July 2006, after my step-dad began acting out a script from a Lifetime movie-of-the-week. (he's long gone now.) $32.95 automatically deducted out of my bank account monthly. The installer was a third-party and we loved him. They respond via phone call at the same time they are sending the police. I love it. It's peace of mind in a keypad. Also, if the fire alarm is tripped while we are out the FD will be contacted.

We couldn't afford to protect every entry point in the house. As the landscape grade varies, he suggested just protecting the windows and doors that a burglar could get to without a large ladder. Only thing is we have a cat and dog, and he said these would trip the motion sensor, so we didn't install it. And there is no cell service, so their typical back-up to the phone line being cut won't work.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-08-2008, 5:59 PM
it sounds like you are looking for a camera system, not a security alarm system? Or are you looking for both?

Both.

PC-based system from off the shelf components and some open source software.

linux?

I installed a alarm system and could give some advise there.
I may come back to this thanks.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-08-2008, 6:26 PM
andy Check out AT&T's remote monitoring service (https://www.attrm.com/?DCMP=att_remotemonitor).
Cool link thanks.

Joe The best is a combination of a good video system and a good silent alarm system.

That’s what I’m thinking. I’m really concerned about an invasion while we are home. Ya know: The clearing a house in the dark with a shot gun scenario.

Joe only have experience with either very low quality systems or very high quality systems. Not much in the individual market.

I’d prefer better quality and ability to make a permanent record for later.

Joe The advantage to a monitored system, audible or silent is that when it trips someone comes to look.

Yah I know. The problem for me is that once you make that bargain you have authorized other people to offer lawful entry to your home whenever they deem proper. I’m a tad big on my Fourth Amendment Rights. My response to any one asking questions about my private life is to inquire about the warrant. If they have one, great, if not, I ain’t budgin’.

Doug I would be curious as to why you don't like the monitored service? Cost? Contracts?

Privacy issues. Sounds like you had a fluke attempt at invasion. I’d think about a steel framed security door and a big dog.

Amy I had Brinks installed for my Mom & I July 2006, after my step-dad began acting out a script from a Lifetime movie-of-the-week. (he's long gone now.)

Ouch your going to make me cry. There aren’t many things more painful.

$32.95 automatically deducted out of my bank account monthly. The installer was a third-party and we loved him. They respond via phone call at the same time they are sending the police. I love it. It's peace of mind in a keypad. Also, if the fire alarm is tripped while we are out the FD will be contacted.

Sounds like a deal. If my house lights on fire I want the insurance money. I’ll just tell the fire company that I’m having a BBQ and to stop by on the next day for beers.

One of the best deterrents is a big alpha dog. Not a lab or golden but a shep or rot. The next best thing is time and lighting. If you can make ‘em work for it under the glare of lights they will likely move on.

Or we could all move next to that dude in Texas who weren’t letting no one rob his neighbor.

Matt Meiser
04-08-2008, 6:42 PM
linux?

I think so, but I'm not positive. Knowing him, most likely. I'll email him and ask for a link to the software.

Joe Chritz
04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
If it makes you feel better entry is nearly never made unless something is already open. With a monitored system when the rollers show up the building external will be checked. If something is found open, then the interior is checked.

The alarm company has no say in the matter, with the possible exception of medical alarms, but those are another deal all together.

If you aren't comfortable having someone else check your house then you absolutely do not want a monitored system or at least don't want an open or broken portal upon arrival of John-Q-Law.

Joe

Greg Stanford
04-09-2008, 8:25 AM
I had a system put in at my Mom's some years ago. When they were there I got the guy to give me one of their signs & put it in front of my house. Figure it does almost as much good as the alarm system.

g

Jeff Heil
04-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Before I spent the money for a monitored system I would invest in motion lights/ quality exterior lighting, a four legged alarm that barks at strangers (doesn't need to inspire fear just warn you someone unknown is there), or the illusion of a dog (chew toys, water dish outside, beware of dog sign), and an exterior audible alarm. Signs for an alarm company in the yard or on the windows fool amatuers and junkies looking for stuff to pawn for a quick high. Good locks and reinforced entry doors are helpful. Hollow core wood doors and large windows in doors make it easier to force entry. lock either type of door, many don't.

If you install a system, spend the money for motion detectors and infra-red sensors. Wind blows doors open and people leave doors open that cause false alarms, but an infrared alert tells the police there is a warm body where it shouldn't be. (pets cause problems for these types of systems for obvious reasons)

The biggest challenge is making your place less desireable than your neighbors to a burglar looking for a target. If he (most are he's) gets in, an audible alarm probably will scare him off and let the neighbors know to call the police. The key is making him head elsewhere before he even tries to get in.

Depending on your location urban or rural, and proximity of your neighbors, look at the response time for police, including the delay while the alarm company reports to the 911 center and an officer is dispatched. How busy are the cops in your area? Are they tied up on calls and will your alarm sit in the queue for a while? What is their alarm response policy? (some don't respond to all types of alarms) IHMO a private security company response is not a deterant, if they get there and find a problem, then they still call the police.

I can't think of many occasions where the "bad guys" intentionally entered a house they thought was occupied and even less where we actually found the burglar still inside upon our arrival. Most flee if they are surprised by someone being home.

Leave a radio on and put a lamp on an automatic timer to create the illusion someone is home. If you are gone for a few days have a neighbor get your mail/ paper or put the delivery on hold.

If you want video for evidence for the cops, a quality image and harddrive storage are essential. If you have low resolution or compress it extensively it is unlikely to be helpful in a criminal investigation.

My 2 cents after 13 years and counting as a cop. Been there, done that and took the reports.

Dennis Peacock
04-09-2008, 1:13 PM
How about a Remington 12 Ga pump? :)

Jeff Heil
04-09-2008, 1:17 PM
There is something unmistakable and universal about an 870's sound.......

Joe Chritz
04-09-2008, 4:38 PM
How about a Remington 12 Ga pump? :)

Two digits.

M4

Although they won't give me one with a happy switch. :(

Joe

Joe Skinner
04-11-2008, 8:40 PM
Not to hijack, but I was just messing with mine and cannot get it working. I have an alarm, but no service and don't want it. I just want a bunch of noise if someone comes in. How would I go about getting someone to set up my alarm without service?

Matt Meiser
04-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Joe, What brand is it? I have a copy of virtually all documentation for Honeywell/Ademco equipment in PDF format.

If you aren't comfortable working on it, I'd contact some of the locally owned alarm companies. I recently switched to a local company after my previous company went out of business. He was really helpful--he came out and did the necessary programming changes free, gave me new signs and stickers free, and didn't charge me an activation fee. You might need to pay them for a service call to get yours set up without monitoring.

You are pretty much going to have to have the installer code to get into it though. Without it, you may need to replace the main board, which means completely reprogramming the system.

C Scott McDonald
04-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi Cliff,

I installed more then I care to think number of alarms. I still work for a company that monitors zillions of alarms.

I am not sure about your issues about monitoring. You can set up any level of response you want to. This could be as simple as calling you on your cell phone to dispatching the police it is up to you. Generally police don't enter a building unless they find cause to i.e and broken window or kicked in door. At this point why would you not want them to go in? I am a chicken they can go look for bad guys all they want.

Current video are DVR's with built in multi-plexing. Combine this with coax, BNC's, mounts, cameras, power supplies it gets expensive fast. Video quality on time lapse VCR's is poor and almost useless. Which is why all major banks switched to DVR's and chip cameras. There are what are called Micro DVRS that run two cameras which might be an option for you.

As far as the alarm is concerned I would reccomend a DMP panel. They are easy to program and if you do decide to have it monitored almost everybody can do it.

Just to clarify there are "panels" and Keypads. The keypad is where turn it on and off etc. The panel is in a somewhat secure area and runs the whole show. You will need to get a good back up battery system for the panel too.

To be honest, unless you know how to figure out zones/areas, how to meter an open,short or closed circut etc I would leave it up to an alarm company to do it for you. I would find an independent Alarm company in your area and tell them want you want.

Any way you go in this project it won't be cheap :(

Good Luck!

Scott

Jeffrey Makiel
04-13-2008, 5:16 PM
I've done some research on alarms too. I have found out that most burglaries happen within 5 minutes of entering a home and then they're gone. Well before police response. I have learned that having an audible alarm with strobe lights is more important than a monitoring service. The idea is not to catch them after they damaged your home. The idea is to keep them out.

One of the hot items today is plasma and LCD HD TVs. If there is no lock on your wall bracket, or you just use a stand, it's an easy grab and then they are out the door.

GE makes two alarm systems. The first is called Simon3 which is supposed to be a do-it-yourselfer. The second system is called GE Concord 4, it's a bit more sophisticated but it's a hybrid that accepts wired as well as wireless sensor devices as well as other output devices such as dialing your cell phone. These systems also do flood, heat, carbon monoxide and smoke too.

Good luck....Jeff :)