PDA

View Full Version : Corian cutting

Dee Gallo
04-08-2008, 8:50 AM
A question for all you guys and gals who have worked with Corian: can you slice it into thinner pieces and if so, how? For instance, if I have a 4" x 4" square which is 1/2" thick, can I use a saw to make it 1/4" thick? What kind of saw would you use (sabre, jeweler's, table, etc.?) How many teeth would the saw blade have to have? Does it become brittle if it gets too thin? Would sanding be a better route, although I suspect it would be deadly slow. Can you buy it thinner?

Thanks for any comments, dee

Pete Simmons
04-08-2008, 8:59 AM
If you have a quality band saw and you are a skilled resawer than you should be able to slice it. I would not want to do that.

Yes - Some colors are available in 0.250 thickness.

Check with Keith here at SMC he will sell you some.

Keith Outten
04-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Dee,

Some Corian colors are available in 1/4" thicknesses.
Some Corian colors are available in 3/4" thicknesses.
Most, if not all, Corian colors are available in 1/2" thicknesses.

You can resaw Corian on your bandsaw, the key to cutting Corian and extending your bandsaw blade life is to go slow. I cut 1/2" thick Corian frequently to 1/8" and 3/16" thick pieces for custom badges that I laser engrave. Corian badges are unique and worth the extra effort for customers who want the very best. It works great for inlays as well in many substrate materials. Depending on the kerf of your bandsaw blade you might be able to get two 3/16" thick pieces from your 4" square.

Like any wood or plastic material Corian does get more fragile the thinner it gets.

Mike Mackenzie
04-08-2008, 3:34 PM
Dee,

This company sells some colors in 1/4 thickness already check them out.

http://solidsurface.com/?_kk=corian&_kt=fa5a3a7b-5664-4e5a-922c-7e8abc8cebe8&gclid=CO3_7oW3t5ACFQcmgwodFkbdKw

Dee Gallo
04-08-2008, 4:20 PM
Thanks, guys!

I have contacted the only Corian dealer in my area - no luck. I am trying to contact local contractors who might have 1/4" scraps, but it's not common here. I don't need a big piece.

Maybe one of them will be willing to cut my little 4" x 4" pieces in half. I don't think I can do that without a bandsaw.

cheers, dee

Keith Outten
04-08-2008, 4:28 PM
What color do you need Dee?

Dee Gallo
04-08-2008, 5:08 PM
Keith - I'm looking for white, bone or cream. This is for more color filled logo badges, so small scraps. I'll buy some from you if you have any.

Thanks, dee

Sandra Force
04-08-2008, 5:10 PM
Is there a motorcoach manufacturer in your area? Preferably a highline, since they use a lot of corian. They will have 1/4" and usually lots of scrap. I would send you some but the cost would be extreme since I am in Oregon.:cool:

Dee Gallo
04-08-2008, 5:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Sandee, but there are only cows here. :o

Thanks for the offer to send, but I'll keep looking for a more local source.

cheers, dee

Belinda Barfield
04-08-2008, 7:46 PM
Dee, if Keith doesn't have what you need (and I'm sure he will), please let me know.

Dee Gallo
04-08-2008, 7:57 PM
Belinda, Keith - you guys are too nice! Thank you! I will be meeting this Saturday with a cabinet maker who says he will try to cut my little pieces for me - if he can't do it, I will beg your help again.

Thanks again, dee

Mike Hood
04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
I just bought a pickup truck load of Corian scraps. Most are 12" x 6" or so.

If anyone's interested in any, lemme know. Lots of dusk, sandstone, granite, sun and glacier ice. All sizes from .25", .50" and some .75".

Anthony Scira
04-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Can you vector cut corian ??? I know a noob question.

Keith Outten
04-09-2008, 8:07 AM
Dee,

PM Sent

Sandra Force
04-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Anthony, you can vector cut corian with fairly high power. It is not one of my favorite things and if it is a item I can cut with a saw I would much rather cut it that way.:o