PDA

View Full Version : Best Dust mask/ safety glassses combo

dennis thompson
04-08-2008, 7:21 AM
Whenever I wear both a dust mask & safety glasses my glasses fog up,does anyone have any suggested solutions for this?
Thanks
Dennis

Montgomery Scott
04-08-2008, 9:15 AM
wear a respirator. the dust masks have limited effect, anyway.

Wilbur Pan
04-08-2008, 10:26 AM
I would also get a real respirator instead of a dust mask.

I like the AOSafety QuickLatch Pro. $35 on Amazon when I checked today (and FREE SHIPPING!), comes with P100 filters, and I've worn it while woodturning for up to 3 hours at a time, and the only reason I stopped was that I broke the bowl I was working on. ;)

I wear this with safety glasses and get no fogging at all.

Nate Folco
04-08-2008, 2:44 PM
I use a 3M 7500 type half-face respirator with my goggles and I get no fogging. They are comfortable on me for hours. I have both particle filters and vapor filters to swap depending on what I'm doing.

Paul Fitzgerald
04-08-2008, 3:34 PM
I also use the AOSafety QuickLatch Pro whenever I'm in the shop. Because of the location of the exhaust port, I never have problems with fogging up my glasses. I do, however, experience drips occasionally (from the exhaust port).

Paul

jason lambert
04-08-2008, 4:13 PM
I also use the AOSafety QuickLatch Pro I picked mind up at the borg. Although unless you are spraying paint or something don't get the 100 filters they have activated charcle in them and the charcle only lasts about 2 weeks. It will still work for dust since that is a passave filter but yo will be walking aroudn with big filters for no reason. They do make a much smaller filter just for dust and abspotse and stuff. It makes the mask much ligher.

Joe Pack
04-08-2008, 5:00 PM
If dust protection is the goal, I can't recommend any mask more highly than the Resp-O-Rator. Admittedly, it looks funny, but it is all but weightless, and the HEPA filters collect down to .03 micron. Particularly for people like me with a beard, where a regular respirator does not seal, it is a god-send.

The Resp-O-Rator costs about $40, and is worth every penny. Light weight, relatively inexpensive, so easy to wear and use you forget you even have it on, and, best of all, it works!!!

They guy in the pictures is the guy who invented it, Jim Duxbery. http://www.resp-o-rator.com/ror/

It is available several places (listed on their web site) but the best price I have seen is from Hartville Tool (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10834).

No affiliation, just a greatful, satisfied user.

Wayne Cannon
04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
I use the 3M HEPA Airstream (I got mine from Airware America, who carries a very wide range of respirators and other safety-related items.

The filtered airflow inside the full-face shield works perfectly with glasses without the slightest hint of fogging. It's also cool and refreshing even when working hard on a hot day.

The Airstream looks heavy, but it's not. I frequently wear mine all day long with a pair of Peltor ear protectors and it has never bothered me (except that it is a pain to answer the phone!). The battery pack, which runs a full day on a charge, is on your belt, so there's very little weight in the helmet/face-shield -- only the fan and air filter. It's very well balanced, and there's no tug from the airhose of a belt-mounted fan/filter.

The Airstream is a bit pricey, but after trying so many different solutions, it is far and away the winner. I probably spent has as much on solutions that didn't work well. I haven't tried the Trend Airshield (it came out later), but would be concerned about the weight of the batteries, or their life per charge if they are small.

3M Airstream respirator:
http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=214

Peltor ear protectors without bulky headband (I've come to love these -- more comfortable than any headband-based version): http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=126

Ed Garrett
04-11-2008, 9:52 PM
Here's my setup. Fresh outdoor air pumped straight to my head. No fogging, no filters to clean/replace, no sweat, no dust or chemical fumes in my eyes or lungs.

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee