PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf Pics

Dan Dubeau
03-27-2004, 2:47 PM
Here are some pictures of a bookshelf I built for my girlfriend last summer.
The posts are 1.5" abs pipe, with endcaps made of hardboard epoxied on and painted with fleckstone paint. The bottom posts have 1/2" pvc pipe running down the center and packed with sand around the outside for extra weight and is all sealed with epoxy so no sand leaks out. The shelves are made of 3/4" laminated pine.
Its all held together with 5/16" all-thread rod and can be taken apart quite easily for transport.
It is very strong and has held up to a year of heavy nursing textbooks and such. I have also demonstrated the "climb" test to quite a few people who have "placed orders".

Im working on an Entertainment unit for our living room based on the same concept right now and should be finished in a few days with pics to follow.

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment and offer suggestions for future improvements. Thanks Dan

Fred Voorhees
03-27-2004, 3:38 PM
Dan - beautiful work! The unit is quite simple in design, yet has a great look due to the fleckstone finish on the risers. Love it - in fact, I could see myself building something like that sometime. My son would love something like that.

Todd Burch
03-27-2004, 4:01 PM
Pretty good use of materials Dan! I remember when I used to store my bike in the living room! ;)

Jim Becker
03-27-2004, 5:50 PM
Very kewel design and execution, Dan. I also like the combination of the wood with the alternative materials and finish.

Tyler Howell
03-27-2004, 5:50 PM
Unique materials, nice design. We've still got some book shelves around with ABS and PVC parts after 25 years.Too nice.;)

Waymon Campbell
03-27-2004, 8:01 PM
Very nice Dan. I remember when my bookshelves were 8x16 concrete blocks with 1x12 WPP boards for shelves...

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Dan
Very nice work and use of all the different types of fabrication materials.
My kind of engineering.
When I went to college, used peach boxes (do some of you "old guys" remember peach boxes) with daubs of white glue to hold them on top of each other. Soaked them with a wet rag to get them apart to transport home after 4 years. ahhhhh! nostalgia ~
Daniel :rolleyes:

PeterTorresani
03-29-2004, 12:49 PM
I remember when I used to store my bike in the living room! ;)

Same here. Of course, it's been promoted to the kitchen

Jason Tuinstra
03-31-2004, 9:47 AM
Dan, great design. I like the use of the pipe to cover the rod. Looks very nice.