PDA

View Full Version : What do you listen to in the shop?

Charles Wilson
04-07-2008, 9:44 PM
Thinking about Sirius satellite radio.

Any opinions?

What else do you guys listen to in the shop =?

Chuck

Ben Cadotte
04-07-2008, 9:49 PM
Just a small boombox to a local classic rock station.

Mitchell Andrus
04-07-2008, 9:49 PM
On the ipod:

Basie
Getz
Webster
Zoot
Duke
Edison
Allen
Ella
Dorsy

Jim O'Dell
04-07-2008, 9:53 PM
What ever is playing on my favorite radio station...KLTY 94.9 FM. If I'm mowing and listening to the CD player, it's Stephen Curtis Chapman's "Declaration" CD. Nothing fancy for me in the shop. FM is just fine. Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2008, 9:55 PM
Small boom box.......local 60's & 70s Rock Station.....

Matt Meiser
04-07-2008, 10:06 PM
After having a few rental cars with XM radio, I bought a Sirius radio for my truck which I loved for about the first 3 months. The next three I was starting to tire of hearing the same things over and over on some of the channels I usually listened to (for example the comedy channels.) Then I stopped commuting 70 miles a day and never used it so I took the radio out and sold it when I was nearing the end of my 1 year contract. From the ads, it sounds like the new HD Radio might offer some competition to Sirius/XM if you are close enough to a big city with a lot of selection.

I have a computer in my shop. While I had Sirius I would sometimes listen to it through their web site. You can try that for free and buy a subscription without a radio if that works for you. I also listen to my iTunes library out there and rarely the good old fashioned FM radio.

Sam Yerardi
04-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Being a musician I love everything from Steven Curtis Chapman to Jimi Hendrix (except rap). But in the shop I usually listen to classical guitar such as Segovia, John Williams, etc. I find that if I listen to something slow ans soft, I'll concentrate more and work slower. If it's fast music then I work too fast. On Saturday mornings I'll also listen to Car Talk.

Aaron Dunham
04-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Sirius for 3 years now and I will never ever listen to regular radio again - it pales in comparison. Sometimes I'm playing music, sometimes Howard, most of the time its Radio Classics (Gunsmoke, Six Shooter, Have Gun Will Travel, Superman, X-1, The Shadow, The Whistler, Suspense, Escape, Jack Benny, Life of Riley, Abbott & Costello, Sgt. Preston of the Yukon, The Lone Ranger, Dragnet, Burns & Allen, Broadway is my Beat, Phillip Marlow, etc. etc. etc.) I'm 32 and didn't grow up listening to any of it but I can't get enough.

alex grams
04-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Doors, Beatles, classic rock stations.

I get weird looks from the neighbors when Zep is jamming, especially since i am a young'n at 26.

Tim Malyszko
04-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I use my XM Radio Boom Box and listen to ESPN Radio Channel 149 and Lucy almost exclusively. Fortunately I live in an area with a terrestrial repeater so I don't need to mount the antenna anywhere special.

Glen Blanchard
04-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Blues, Country, Pop, Jazz and Rock.....all on my iPod. Oh, and an occasional woodworking podcast. Give me my iPod and my noise-canceling headphones, place me in my shop, and I am one happy fella.

Jason Beam
04-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Clapton ... as much as I can stand.

Then after that it's a mix:

SRV
Buddy Guy
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Freddy King
Ronny Earl

Lotsa blues guys.

After that, I may do the local classic rock station. Been thinking about getting an HD radio - the local station has an all blues HD station that I'd like to check out.

Bill Huber
04-07-2008, 10:39 PM
I guess I am an outsider here, I just listen to the saw singing and the router carrying a tune.

I just have never been able to concentrate the way I feel I should with a radio playing something.

David DeCristoforo
04-07-2008, 10:52 PM
"...especially since i am a young'n at 26..."

Well we "old guys" had it much better when it comes to music. I try to listen to this Brateny and JT stuff and there's nothin' there.... The music of the 60's, 70's and early 80's will be listened to for a long time like the "classical" music. It will endure because it's good. "Strange Days", "Darkside", "Revolver", "Beggar's Banquet", anything by Cream, early Tull, Traffic... that stuff was art. I am also an aficionado of "oddball" music like the Penguin Cafe Orchestra and the Incredible String Band. Jazz...goood! Esp. Keith Jarrett Trio.... the "old" Charles LLoyd stuff, Les McCann, etc. Ali Farka Toure, and anything involving Ry Cooder and Hawaiian "slack key" and Ravi and Anoushka, Dave VanRonk and Tim Buckley and Pete and Woody and Townes VanZandt and John Prine and The Pentangle, Bert Jansch and John Renbourn and The Wianwright/McGarrigle sisters mishmash and... well you get the idea... all of it crammed onto an iPod and plugged into a big amp and cranked up with the "shuffle" button pressed....

Musicikuni

Pat Germain
04-07-2008, 10:52 PM
I listen mostly to Public Radio. Car Talk is great! There are also a lot of interesting science shows on over the weekend. I really geek out by listening to "The Thomas Jefferson Hour".

When NPR is running some Communist program, I'll switch over to classic rock. But I can take only so much of commercial radio before I want to start slicing up my boom box on the table saw.

Dave Lehnert
04-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I have the Milwaukee boom box. I can hook up my laptop and play Yahoo radio through it (free) bunch of channels to pick from. you can pay a small fee for commercial free but the commercials on the free one is so few I hardly notice them.

Rick Gooden
04-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Mostly talk radio from WABC in New York and WIBC in Indianapolis that I receive via pc in the shop connected to a small system. I also download a number of eschatology programs (Jan Markell, Jimmy DeYoung, Politics and Religion with Irvin Baxter, etc) to listen to.

Steven DeMars
04-07-2008, 11:12 PM
I can't concentrate on anything with music playing . . . . So I listen to the dehumidifier, the (2) ton A/C, the dust collector & whatever piece of equipment I'm running . . . Probably couldn't hear a radio if I tried. Now when welding, thats different . . . . You need tunes to do "mind numbing" work . . . Just kidding, I like making or fixing anything . . . .

Then to, it could be because I like Credence, Bob Seger, Beach Boys, Mamas and the Papas . . . . Kind of peppy to be sawing to . . .

Zip......... there goes a thumb . . .. :o

Steve

Cody Colston
04-07-2008, 11:21 PM
In the shop? The power tools and my own muse.

I can't concentrate on the woodworking with either music or talk radio on. I would either be trying to harmonize with the Eagles or throwing stuff while agreeing with Rush.

Narayan Nayar
04-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Depends on the time of the day. One of my favorite times to be in the shop is weekend mornings, when I listen to NPR. In the evenings I don't generally care for the programming so it's whatever comes up randomly on my iPod. Everything from Bach to Bartok, Ellington to Redding, Velvet Underground to Squarepusher. And sometimes just silence.

Terry Achey
04-07-2008, 11:25 PM
choice one...all the classical superstars - Bach; Beethoven; etc. on disc and wave radio.
choice two... country and bluegrass commercial free TV broadcast
choice two (again) ... the basic classic rockers from 60's and 70's with a dab or two of Marshall Tucker; Alabama; Santana; and the likes on commercial free TV broadcast.
choice three... DIY TV shows
I enjoy most all good music (excluding Rap and most Hip Hop; and oh yeah, I don't miss the disco from the 80's), but my preference for working is Classical as the best background sound. :cool:

Norman Pyles
04-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Myself cussin, when I cut sumpten too short.:o:)

Eric Larsen
04-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Yacht Rock. Or Steely Dan, which is also Yacht Rock. I need smooth music when I'm working.

http://www.channel101.com/shows/view.php?media_id=805

If you like the Doobies, Loggins & Messina, etc., click the above link. (Is the link OK to post? It's a non-commercial site.)

Greg Peterson
04-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Nothing usually.

Work is stressful enough without listening to radio pundits that seem to have "all the answers" but are bent on demonizing one half of the country while agitating the other half.

AOR stations play the same stuff over and over again. Zepplin was good for the first thirty years or so, but it's getting a little stale these days.

Between the DC, air scrubber and machines, my ear muffs generally don't come off. And when I am sans hearing protection I'm usually concentrating on something so it's just a distraction.

I do listen to AM Coast to Coast at night when I go to bed. Been hooked on late night AM radio since the early 70's, back when the CBS Radio Mystery theater was on. Good stuff.

Rick Levine
04-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Bill, I must also be an outsider. I get too distracted when I listen to anything besides the tools. It's the same when I work in my darkroom.

Brian Kent
04-07-2008, 11:54 PM
What?

What?

I Can"t Hear You Over The Shop Vac!

What?

Ray Schafer
04-07-2008, 11:55 PM
I listen to NPR (National Public Radio) -- Car Talk, Priarie Home Companion, etc.

Mike Heidrick
04-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Dewalt boombox/charger with occasional plug in from the DVD player or Ipod . Listen to rock, R&B, and HH or anything on the current charts that hits the radio top tens or whatever. We have a good local station that plays everything as well.

Eric Barker
04-08-2008, 12:21 AM
I don't listen to music while running equipment, but when gluing, sanding, finishing and etc. I listen to my iPod. My current mix is heavily laced with Kelly Joe Phelps, Bruce Cockburn, Johnny Cash and Van Morrison.

Rick Gifford
04-08-2008, 1:31 AM
I listen to the TV. I like CNN or FOXNEWS in the background.

Dan Barr
04-08-2008, 1:50 AM
I listen to Nine Inch Nails (Trent Reznor) when im in the shop. he tends to have pretty steady droning rythms that keep me in the zone pretty well.

I have a kind of OCD personality once im in the shop and the droning rythm puts me rigft in the zone.

love it!

ciao,

dan

Judy Kingery
04-08-2008, 6:50 AM
All kinds of stuff, NPR, classic rock mostly. Have the shop wired for radio and always have some music playing! Jude

Russ Sears
04-08-2008, 7:10 AM
I get weird looks from the neighbors when Zep is jamming, especially since i am a young'n at 26.

Alex, you have a bright future! I saw Zep in '77 and especially enjoyed watching Jimmy Page ripping through leads with his hands flying all over the neck of the guitar. Most guitar players screw up their face when they do something like that; Page was holding a conversation with a roadie.

Dave Verstraete
04-08-2008, 7:31 AM
XM Radio. The 70's and 80's stations. They can here it on the other side of the house sometimes and have to ask me to turn it down. Imagine asking your dad or Grandpa to turn his music down. The only thing my dad ever listened to was church music or Montovani.

Mike Gager
04-08-2008, 7:43 AM
as blood runs black
lamb of god
if hope dies
i killed the prom queen
as i lay dying
all shall perish

just to name a few :D

i have a smal cd player but i want to get an mp3 player so i dont have to worry about dust on the cds so much

Larry Browning
04-08-2008, 7:52 AM
I have one of these (http://www.roku.com/) in my shop and love it. I can listen to music stored on my computer or mostly I listen to internet radio. It's only about $140 at amazon and no subscription fees like with satellite radio.

John Newell
04-08-2008, 7:53 AM
The tools. I really don't need any distractions... :(

Mike Gager
04-08-2008, 7:59 AM
I have one of these (http://www.roku.com/) in my shop and love it. I can listen to music stored on my computer or mostly I listen to internet radio. It's only about $140 at amazon and no subscription fees like with satellite radio.

hey larry if im reading that right it allows you to play your MP3s from your computer over wifi?

Larry Browning
04-08-2008, 8:03 AM
hey larry if im reading that right it allows you to play your MP3s from your computer over wifi?
Yes that is correct. It works fantastic! Very easy to setup. It works wired as well.

Barry Clodfelter
04-08-2008, 8:06 AM
Classic rock station on a 25 year old boom box.

Jack Briggs
04-08-2008, 8:12 AM
XM 40 - Deep Tracks.

Lee Koepke
04-08-2008, 8:53 AM
depends .. if i bring my sirius inside, its the channel 15 one .... but in my head its always this one daggum song ...

a band called TOOL and the song is Schizm ... the chorus is

" I know the pieces fit .... " has nothing to do with woodworking, but everytime I try to dry-fit something that songs echoes in my head ... :D

Richard M. Wolfe
04-08-2008, 8:56 AM
No radio.

I bought one and put it in the shop. I found when I was working one of two things happened. I was busy and didn't hear anything so it might as well have not been on, or something came on that caught my attention so I stopped and listened or only paid half attention to my work. Good way to have half a finger. I still have the radio stuck back in the paint room somewhere....it hasn't been on in several years.

Glenn Clabo
04-08-2008, 8:58 AM
Jack Johnson or Keb Mo' on the Ipod.

Jim Becker
04-08-2008, 9:11 AM
Like Pat, I only listen to public radio. 95% of the time, that's WXPN.org out of Philadelphia which is about the best music station in the country. When they slip in a sports event (they are affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania), I flip over to WHYY.org, which is the local NPR news station and listen to whatever is on. No commercials, etc. I've not found sat radio to ever be satisfying to me...no one station seems to provide what WXPN.org does. (I listen to their streams on my PC here in my office, too)

Greg Cole
04-08-2008, 9:12 AM
Led Zeppelin, I get weird looks from the neighbors when Zep is jamming, especially since i am a young'n at 26.
Alex,
We meet again on common ground! At a ripe 33 here, I get odd glances when I have Zep playing too. There are certain things that don't seem to degrade with age, although I think Jimmy Page's brain is somewhere in the same stratosphere with Keith Richards.;) His fingers still function just fine however!
My default favorite is The Tragically Hip, if ya are from New England or Canada you know them, anywhere else most likely not. Gordie rocks.
I range from country to middle of the road rock to heavy metal and even some old school rap, all depends on the time of day n day of the week. Dave Matthews Band is great for a Sunday early morning where as Metallica may have been the choice Saturday afternoon.

I'm one who likes the background noise. In college I couldn't work in the library cause it's too darn quiet (found myself being distracted by anyones movement, noises etc etc), at work I have background music as well as in the shop the tunes come on with the lights. Heck, I have to sleep with a fan in my bedroom for the ambient noise. Just one of those things that makes me... well me.
Cheers.
Greg

J. Z. Guest
04-08-2008, 9:12 AM
I have a nice Sony boombox with a built-in subwoofer. I listen to probably 80% Baroque & Classical music, mostly Bach & Mozart. The boombox also has an MP3 input, so I split it between iPod and CDs.

I can't stand the radio around here, as it is at least 70% ads, which get louder than the music.

I can't have music on without listening to it, so it really bugs me.

John Pahl
04-08-2008, 9:27 AM
I have an old AM/FM radio in my shop with a tape player in it. Problem is, I only have one tape left. It's Jimmy Buffett. I'll listen to that when the AM radio isn't coming in too good. Truth is I can't hear it much with my hearing protection on.

I saw that a few of you mentioned listening to IPOD with the head phones in. I tried this as well but really didn't like not being able to hear the machine I was using. I'm just not comfortable with not being able to hear now the motor sounds or not being able to hear noises that shouldn't be there. What do you all think?

Karl Brogger
04-08-2008, 9:43 AM
I'm plugged in to an iPod all day. I have mine on my belt inbetween the tape measure holder and my Leatherman so the volume can be adjusted or a song can be skipped easily. I use headphones that fit in the ear, so they're almost like earplugs. Not quite as good, but good enough for most circumstances. As far as hearing the tools goes I agree 100%. I don't listen to the music loud enough that it drowns things out, and if there is something I have to hear tool wise I'll pull one side out. (Like first pass on the widebelt sander so I can hear how it "hits")

My iPod is full. There is around 9000 songs on it from just about every genre, from Daft Punk to Ella Fitzgerald to Megadeath to Kanye West, and just about everything inbetween. I really don't actually listen to what is being played too often, for me it is more just of a structured backround noise. I do go a bit crazy with out tunes though.

Scott Loven
04-08-2008, 9:54 AM
Anyone listen to Pandora (http://www.pandora.com/) radio? IT lets you pick songs/artist's you like and plays similar songs that you can vote on or off your play list.

Scott

Todd Bin
04-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Mostly I listen to my dust collector. But when that is turned off I listen to anything that is on my ipod.

RickT Harding
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I love my Sirius. At first I was like "well, I only will listen to 6-7 of the stations", but then I realized I only listen to one local station now. So that was 6-7x the selection.

While I have a lot of rock/alternative music in my presets, for some reason woodworking and blues seems to just go along. So I'm normally on my sirius blues channel, the nfl channel, or I hook up my portable mp3 player to my sirius boombox and go through my own blues selection.

One thin on sirius in the garage/shop, you'll want an external antenna. My reception/comes and goes with the satalites overhead. I really need to just wire in an external one.

mike holden
04-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Put another vote in for the Classical Music, although NOT opera!
Second choice is the classic rock of 60's and 70's.
I love doo-wop, but not in the shop, I stop and sing along! (grinn) (you should grin too as you DONT have to listen!)
Mike

Bob Willcox
04-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I subscribe to XM radio and usually listen to channel 71 (Watercolors, contemporary jazz) while in the shop.

Jerome Hanby
04-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Funny this came up. My Sony "heavy duty" boom box will play MP3s, so I've been ripping CDs for this exact purpose. My musical taste is all over the place. In the shop it's typically

Lyle Lovett
Grateful Dead
Black Crows
Jimmy Buffet
Offspring (no redeeming value, but it's loud :D)
Beatles
Counting Crows
Bob Dylan
Led Zepplin
Frank Zappa

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-08-2008, 11:37 AM
On a good day, I listen to the Red Sox (if they're playing), or just one of the local radio stations.

On a bad day - I listen to a whole lot of cursing after I've messed something up...

Dave Cav
04-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Got the WiFi working in the shop (again). Pandora.com. The AC/DC channel.

David DeCristoforo
04-08-2008, 11:51 PM
So, let me see if I have this right. The answer is (insert drum roll here)... anything but opera.....

DD

James Hart
04-09-2008, 12:16 AM
I have a really cool setup thanks to a product called Sonos. It allows me to stream audio from either a network storage drive (ripped cd's) or online music services like rhapsody or pandora. Using a wireless controller from anywhere in the house i have access to over 4 million songs to play in the garage shop.

Jim

glenn bradley
04-09-2008, 12:23 AM
I have an old laptop with just enough memory to run Win2K. I have it loaded with MP-3's and if I set it on random, I can go all weekend without a repeat and it is all stuff I like. I also connect it wirelessly to my home office for internet radio. I've been hooked on RadioParadise lately (free and commercial free) but I can always toss in a CD, a burned disc or listen to the harddrive stash.

Dan Barr
04-09-2008, 1:39 AM
LOLOLOL

"I know the pieces fit, cause i watched em' fall away."

but for woodworkers it would be something like:

"I know the pieces fit, cause i measured each one twain"

LOLOLOLOLOL

Great song for woodwork. has kind of that OCD demented, super focused mental problem thing going on, common to all us woodworkers who get irritated on occasion with those pesky "fine" details. Such as the hair gap on a dovetail after a few hours of work.

kinda gives you that "twitch" ya know. LOL (then comes the song again... I know the pieces fit.....)

ciao,

dan

Dave Cav
04-09-2008, 2:22 AM
Actually, when I'm not listening to AC/DC I like opera. I usually always listen to the Met Opera broadcast on Saturday on KING FM (Seattle) or on CBC-2 if I'm somewhere where I can get it, or on line. That is, unless it's some kind of weird opera in English or Finnish or something else totally wrong.

Dave C

Terry Bigelow
04-09-2008, 8:54 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here (especially at 33), but I'm a Jazz man. Not the contemporary stuff, I'm talking old school straight ahead bop. All the greats: Miles, Trane, Freddie Hubbard, Hank Mobley, Oscar Peterson, Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey...I could go on and on. I do like the fusion stuff too: more Miles(crazy 70's stuff), Mahavishnu, Herbie Hancock. That's not usually shop stuff though:eek:. Wife says I'm a dork. Guess she's right.

Larry Fox
04-09-2008, 9:07 AM
a band called TOOL and the song is Schizm ... the chorus is

" I know the pieces fit .... " has nothing to do with woodworking, but everytime I try to dry-fit something that songs echoes in my head ... :D

HA - Lee, now that is funny. I am a huge Tool fan as well (caught 3 shows on the last tour) and never really thought about Schizm in that way. The next line in the chorus also applies to my work.

" 'Cause I watched them fall away" :)

I have an XM in the shop and mostly listen to the punk-rock station (53).

alex grams
04-09-2008, 9:58 AM
I actually ran a wire from my computer to my radio in the garage so i can play music from my computer on my radio (good thing they are adjacent, or else it would be a pain to run a cable across the house!)

Robert Dunaway
04-09-2008, 10:06 AM
On the iPod...

Iron Maiden
Motorhead
Rob Zombie
Metallica
Motley Crue
Social Distortion

Can you tell I never grew out of my 80s metalhead stage? And I'm turning 38.

Jim Becker
04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I have a really cool setup thanks to a product called Sonos. It allows me to stream audio from either a network storage drive (ripped cd's) or online music services like rhapsody or pandora. Using a wireless controller from anywhere in the house i have access to over 4 million songs to play in the garage shop.

Hmm...I'm going to have to check that out, James! That would eliminate the, umm....sports inturruptions...to my music!

Brad Shipton
04-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Sirius ch 9, 90's hits, but half the time I have ear plugs on so it is just background noise. I wired in an external antenna because i found my signal was not perfect through the windows.

Brad

Shawn Honeychurch
04-09-2008, 1:33 PM
MP3 player hooked to portable speakers.

Everything:
Johnny Cash to the Beastie Boys
Pet Shop Boys to Mussorgsky
ACDC to John Cougar
Yaz to La traviata

Only rule: no hard core rap. :D

Russ Sears
04-09-2008, 1:43 PM
Like Pat, I only listen to public radio. 95% of the time, that's WXPN.org out of Philadelphia which is about the best music station in the country.

Jim, we started listening to XPN a couple of weeks ago; it's a great station. I didn't think to stream it on my computer though. I'll give that a whirl.

Shawn Honeychurch
04-09-2008, 2:05 PM
So, let me see if I have this right. The answer is (insert drum roll here)... anything but opera.....

DD

Nope, got Opera listed on mine. :D

Eric Gustafson
04-09-2008, 2:27 PM
If I listen to music, its XM radio; XM-cafe (45), Watercolors (71), or Visions (77) depending on my mood. Most of the time, however, I listen to internet talk radio downloaded to my Walkman MP3 player. I use earbuds that provide hearing protection from the power tools. I use the program , Radio Time's Red Button. It is like TIVO for the radio. An awesome way to download internet radio MP3's.

Peter Quinn
04-09-2008, 2:59 PM
Used to be Miles, Coletrain, Brubeck, Ornet Coleman, Mingus, etc.....Now that the dust has eaten my CD player its the one crappy classic rock station that comes in in my basement....15 minutes of the same stale music per hour every day punctuated by endless commercials, incorrect weather reports, 'Witty Banter..i.e. inane BS'...UGH.

On the bright side I find my self using hearing protection more often....like all day, even when the machines are off.

I suppose I could get a new CD Player...anyone know of a dust proof model? I miss Coletrain....Ina Gada Devida Baby.....do do do do do do dod do! UGH!

Jerome Hanby
04-09-2008, 3:06 PM
I suppose I could get a new CD Player...anyone know of a dust proof model? I miss Coletrain....Ina Gada Devida Baby.....do do do do do do dod do! UGH!

You could just skip ahead a little technologically and use an MP3 player. No moving parts for dust to creep into!

Lots of free software to rip your CDs to MP3s. I think Windows Media Player will do it.

Fred Haydon
04-09-2008, 3:56 PM
Well, The wiseacre in me would just answer "the radio." But, I have a nice stereo that stays on the local FM country radio station softly in the background. I used to study for school/college with the TV on, even though I never watched it. I'm one of them folks that need background noise. The only time I turn up the radio is for NASCAR or Univ. of MI Football, but then the power tools aren't allowed to make noise as that would be sacrilegious!!!

Cheers,
Fred

John Frazee
04-09-2008, 4:03 PM
Slacker radio rocks!

I asked this same question on our small town gossip forum and someone turned me on to slacker.com. It has so many different channels to listen to. From 50's, 60's 70's 80's 90's and today, to jazz, gospel, you name it. It's free, take a look at it. http://www.slacker.com

David DeCristoforo
04-09-2008, 5:12 PM
Nope, got Opera listed on mine. :D

Ok, then it's (another drum roll please) anything except opera except sometimes for some people and no English or Finnish opera....Right?

BTW I have never heard "Finnish Opera". Could someone post some suggestions? Also has anyone ever listened to "Cyclopian" music? I understand it's great music to drink beer to......

Matt Crew
04-09-2008, 6:15 PM
Sirius 63 outlaw country. Shooter Jennings has a program on Sat nights.
I have to have music in the background or I go nuts. Wait a minute, I am nuts.

Shane Sura
04-09-2008, 6:16 PM
I use my car Sirius. I don't even have the home kit. Here is a trick. Get one that FM transmits. Then buy one of the 110V to cigarette liter adapters. All you have to do is pull it out of your car plug it into the antenna and use the house power. You will need an additional antenna but those can be picked up off of the bay pretty cheap. I, like many previous posters, will never go back to regular radio. I have thought about my MP3 player but my stereo does not have a line in so I would have to get an FM transmitter. Plus with the re-runs of Stern and Bubba I often stop working to listen :D

Shane

Larry Browning
04-09-2008, 6:37 PM
The only time I turn up the radio is for NASCAR

NASCAR on the radio?????? Who came up with that? I can hear it now. "Well, Vern that was one heck of a turn around the corner there!!! Man, what a crash!!!! did you see that!!!! Oh, wait, this is radio. Well ya shoulda seen it!!"

For me NASCAR on TV is just slightly more exciting than watching grass grow. I cannot imagine what it is like on the radio. What's next, golf on the radio????

(Oh, I know I'm gonna get killed on this one!):eek:

Fred Haydon
04-09-2008, 6:47 PM
Larry,
I have listened to The Masters on the radio.:) And quite frankly, neither are the same without the picture. But at least it's a way to keep up with what is going on!!!

But then I'm not a fan of talk radio. I've often said that if I wanted to listen to hours of mindless drivel, I'd stay at work more! :D:rolleyes::eek:

Cheers,
Fred

Larry Browning
04-09-2008, 6:52 PM
Larry,
I have listened to The Masters on the radio.:) And quite frankly, neither are the same without the picture. But at least it's a way to keep up with what is going on!!!

But then I'm not a fan of talk radio. I've often said that if I wanted to listen to hours of mindless drivel, I'd stay at work more! :D:rolleyes::eek:

Cheers,
Fred

Sorry Fred, I just couldn't resist. I have never heard of NASCAR or golf on the radio. It just seems pointless to me.
But I am sure that the stuff I enjoy seem pointless to others. I think that is one of the great things about this world; diversity.

Jim Andrew
04-09-2008, 7:44 PM
My son was home for Christmas, and he burned off an album he's been working on. I find it very good. It's considered Americana for those of you who have that type stations in your area. Unfortunately none of the songs have titles so can't tell you a lot about them. Think it is going to be released fairly soon, the band is going on tour July, August, and part of September. You can learn about them by googling the Boxmasters. There is a new website called the Dell Lounge, where you can download the songs. Jim

Burt Alcantara
04-09-2008, 8:01 PM
I listen to internet radio. Pipe it to the shop via wireless. Received with wireless speakers. Only problem is I have to go up to the computer to change stations but I usually leave on the same station for the day.

Ambient
Classical Persion
Classical Indian
African
Brazilian
Jazz

Burt

Greg Hines, MD
04-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Dire Straits, Traveling Wilburys, Meat Loaf, or some movie soundtrack.

I have an XM in my truck, and love it. The wife had a Sirius in her Jeep and hated it. All they ever do on the stations she listened to was have ex-MTV-V-jays jabber over the music. I listen to Big Tracks and Potus 08 in the truck.

Doc