PDA

View Full Version : One Year Anniversary

Craig Hogarth
04-07-2008, 7:31 PM
One year ago today, I got my brand new laser!!! After failing miserably doing it a a home business, I got my own storefront about 8 months ago. While I'm having a hard time paying all my bills, I am happy to say that my doors are open today.

I'm competing with another engraver in my area who's been in business almost 25 years now and I've been able to take quite a bit of their market share. I think the two things that have helped me grow the most is the ARA and SMC.

Thanks to all who've been so helpful.

Thad Nickoley
04-07-2008, 7:52 PM
Congrats!!! I am envious.

Scott Shepherd
04-07-2008, 7:55 PM
Well done Craig, I think I just crossed my 1 year mark recently. Takes a heck of a lot of work and it's easy to see why so many do fail. You really have to be dedicated to making it happen and it appears you are. Keep plugging away, keep taking work from the other guy and go get some more!

Good job! Enough praise, get back to work ;)

Stephen Beckham
04-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Craig - congrats - I too rolled over the first year recently (last month) after a year of very little progress from the home. I'm glad to say my framing partner and I are actively pursuing the purchase of our own building so we can start building equity for us and not a landlord...

Steve

Anthony Welch
04-08-2008, 5:04 AM
It's been 6 months for us at home also. We've beat the bushes by going to different organizations peddling wholesale so they can profit for their org. and offer products not offered locally. Very few are biting. But the soccer moms and dads are head over heals for our product. So now we're offering individual teams 20% off for 10 or more items. But we really feel if we had a "brick and mortar" place business would be better and we would be able to exhibit more of what we can do than what we can under a craft tent. And no I'm not knocking the craft venues, but they can be a hit or miss thing at times.

Keep us informed how you are doing (everybody).

Thanks and good luck!

Paul Brinkmeyer
04-08-2008, 10:48 AM
OK I'm in too.
It will be one year for my wife and myself opening a store front and going at it full time as our only source of income. We are just covering costs, but have gain good recognition. In fact we are in the running for Busines of the year, my wife is in the running for Business Women of the year, and I am still having fun.

And yes, I have learned, and am learning, from this group every day.

Thanks

Rodne Gold
04-08-2008, 11:23 AM
When I got my 1st laser, I employed a Rep and that was about the best thing I coulda done , after 3 months we were rocking and rolling ......HOWEVER we were one of the first in town to get a laser engraver and we were already pretty well known........

I been in the engraving/trophy/cnc type world for 25 years now (lasers I think 8 yrs or so) and I'm tired of it. Got it so my business runs itself and am now opening up a workshop specializing in high power complex modification to v8's , mostly expensive hot rod type muscle cars owned by boys with LOTS of money to spend on their toys.........

I had thoughts of coming to the USA for a bit and running some workshops re lasers, trophys , engraving, running a succesful business in this field , new ideas , opportunities for profit etc ....all combined into 2-3 day camps..but it's a schlep and Im not familiar with the US markets.
Wouldnt make me a lot of moolah , but would be a nice opportunity to see the country and meet the engraving community.