PDA

View Full Version : Please Pray For Me

Jon Lanier
04-07-2008, 6:52 PM
I just came home with over $300 dollars of Wood turning paraphernalia. That might not sound like much to you all... and no one thing to expensive, a bunch of pen kits, parting tool, anchor seal, curved rest, new set of jaws for my Nova Chuck...etc.

Just talked to wife, she don't know, but she's not in a good mood. http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL561/3684635/17773411/277704639.jpg

Tom Sherman
04-07-2008, 7:06 PM
Jon it seems that the vortex has doubled it's efforts to consume you. You have my prayers, and may the CFO have mercy on you.

Rick Gibson
04-07-2008, 7:07 PM
You're on your own Jon. There is no way I am getting between an upset wife and you.

Eugene Malone
04-07-2008, 7:09 PM
Hi Jon, just tell her you were Invited to Europe for a week on your own on a woodturning trip but turned it down as you would miss her so much. If she believes that go out and spend another Grand, or buy a new lathe. Regards Eugene.

Russ Peters
04-07-2008, 7:10 PM
Hey honey.... look what I just won at the wood shop:D:D:D:D:D

robert hainstock
04-07-2008, 7:11 PM
Hey Jon WHen I used to caome home with a new gun, I'd bring one or two others and say I was fixing them for somebody. Kinda hard to make that work for wood turnin. It didn't take long for her to catch on to my game either. Order the flowers now.:eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Bill Bolen
04-07-2008, 7:54 PM
face it...nuttin works! They know all...Bill..

Neal Addy
04-07-2008, 8:50 PM
Jon, PM me a list of your next-of-kin. I'll handle the arrangements.

You're not allergic to pine, are you? ;)

Curt Fuller
04-07-2008, 8:52 PM
I don't think praying is gonna do you any good. You need to start thinking of a nice little white lie, something that you can grow and nurture up until the time that Oneway 2436 shows up in the driveway.

Brian Brown
04-07-2008, 8:56 PM
You my friend are beyond a prayer.:eek: I hope your doghouse is warm and comfortable, and your best friend shares. :D:

Nancy Laird
04-07-2008, 9:00 PM
Jon, small piece of advice: remodel your workshop or rearrange it to install a potty and a bed!! You're gonna need them!!;)

I've always told LOML that he'll know when he's been spending too much time in the workshop -- when he comes home and finds a cot made up next to the Unisaw!!

He hasn't found it yet, but he's working on it.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2008, 9:13 PM
Jon....it's been nice knowing you! :rolleyes:

Greg Cuetara
04-07-2008, 9:26 PM
Dibs on the new nova chuck...or are you going to be buried with your lathe and accessories?

Richard Kagen
04-07-2008, 9:41 PM
compared to hound dogging around town, the $300 will look pretty good.

I am the brave one, my package from Packard does not arrive for at least another day.

michael gallagher
04-07-2008, 9:44 PM
Although you are tip-toeing in the Valley of the Shadow of Death......good luck! That is why I am glad I have a separate door to get into my shop - makes it easier to slip things from my car straight to the shop!

I wish you well!

Gordon Seto
04-07-2008, 9:48 PM
Jon,

You should have done some preparation work. I told my wife adding her to the club membership is only $5 extra a year, the big discounts for going to the Symposium together. So we go to meetings together, symposiums together. When she sees the nice things at the instant gallery and asked me whether I could make something that nice. I told her no. I don't have the $8000 lathe and all sorts of tools. Tell her that you really like the big expensive lathe, but you are going to save $6000 and settle for the $2K mediocre lathe. You will make spending $2k sounds like saving $6K. Make her feel you keep your desire under control.
Introduce her to your club members and visit their shops. I will guarantee you that you will find someone sicker than you are in accumulating tools and woods. They will make you look like you are on a bare minimum. Trust me on this. The guys who invite a group of members to visit their shops and hang out together won't just have a $200 lathe and a set of Harbor Freight tools. Some have 3 or 4 lathes, and their cheap lathe is worth more than my good one. Your ego may hurt a little, but you will get a lot of points with your wife for being modest. Be honest, you know very well that $300 worth of turning paraphernalia won't make you a better turner, they only make turning more enjoyable.

Get her involved in turning. When you buy a better tool in addition to yours, you said you are buying her a good one because the new one is safer. Exaggerate the price on the good tool, and casually mention the deflated price of your original tool. Make her believe you spend the good stuff on her and cheap on yourself. Don't worry, both are yours; make sure let her watch you are still using the old tool first, get a catch then proceed with the better tool.

Don't try taking her to the Rolls Royce dealership, then hopefully settle for a Lexus. That won't work.

michael gallagher
04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Exaggerate the price on the good tool, and casually mention the deflated price of your original tool. Make her believe you spend the good stuff on her and cheap on yourself. Don't worry, both are yours;

Now this comment had me laughing out loud...so loud in fact, I thought the kids would wake up!

Jerry Pittman
04-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Good luck, Jon. Don't mention everything to her at one time
Jerry

Frank Bivins
04-07-2008, 10:35 PM
After she is through with you will the wood turning tools be on Craigslist or at the yard sale.:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Jon I would get one dozen red roses tomorrow when you come home.

Gene O. Carpenter
04-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey honey.... look what I just won at the wood shop:D:D:D
Russ, :):)
This will work better if you "work up":eek: a congratulatory email from what ever brand tool Co. it is saying that your entry has been chosen and you're the winner of" your new ??"! Please stop by " dealers name " to pick up your whatever it is and congratulations again..Send or fwd it to yourself..If it needs "tweeking",tweek it and start yelling, hot dog, son of a gun, yeehaw I won something at last..:)Of course LOYL has to be close enough to hear and be drawn in! :confused:
Back in Jan on my Freud FT2200VCE Router, my youngest son stopped by for a short visit and LOML said look at that drill your father just won!:confused: She doesn't know a drill from a Circular saw! :confused: Dave picked it up gave it a look over and with a knowing smile on his face said "nice win"!

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Jon - I first read this shortly after you posted it and got to laughing so hard I couldn't see the monitor! Wow - finally it happened to someone besides me! Lots of luck digging your way out of this one! Hey - enjoy all the attention!

Joe Chritz
04-07-2008, 11:22 PM
You're on your own Jon. There is no way I am getting between an upset wife and you.

Been there, done that, don't do it for free.

Best advice I can give is it is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Of yeah, and go use them quick so you can't return them. :D

Joe

Steven DeMars
04-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Well I'm lucky my wife doesn't complain whenever I buy tools or equipment. My biggest problem is saying no to myself . . . I always seem to find a way justify a new purchase.

Recently one of the neighbors was teasing my wife while I was standing there about all the tools and equipment I seem to buy. . . . saying her husband would never get away with that. About the same time her husband was backing up his dooley crew cab to load his ATV and hook up his 26' travel trailer to head off to do some work on his hunting camp for a week 300 miles away . . .

He also uses his travel trailer to head to NASCAR for a week at a time with his buddies . . .

Now who do you think spends more on his hobbies . . . . My shop increased the value of the house & I fix everything I can myself.

Scott Hubl
04-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Was it your Money?

If so, Whats the problem?

I say go out and spend another $300.00.

I'm lucky I guess, I never have to ask permission like a little boy to go buy myself tools or whatever else I want.

I'm heading to Rockler and Woodcraft in the morning AGAIN. I go at least twice a month and IF I get out of one or the other for less than $300.00 I feel like I wasted the gas on the trip.
My Local (within 20 minute drive) Rockler closed, well Rockler decided to move it into Berlands house of tools, going from a 5000 sq ft store to having 1000 sq ft at that store. :mad:

So now I go to another Rockler and in reality a much better stocked one as well, they have Crated Australian BURLS!:eek:
Now I go there just to buy one or two at a time, so far just collecting small ones @ $15.00 per "unit" the SMALL ones are 2-3"units" each. :eek: BEAUTIFUL stuff.:D

Be happy you don't have those close by, you think your in Trouble now?

Start a weekly or bi-weekly tool/wood trip she'll get used to it.;)

Bart Leetch
04-08-2008, 12:34 AM
I hope everything turns out ok for you.

I always talk about what I'm going to buy for quite a while before I buy it. I even show the LOML pictures so she knows what is going to arrive.

She gets her sewing, cross stitch. knitting, etc stuff & I get woodworking stuff.

CW McClellan
04-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Look here what I got Sugar -then she'll start --get a good cold one from frige -pop the cap and say Darling ya'll get over it --then head fer the shop :D:D

Larry Marley
04-08-2008, 1:09 AM
three words...

Non
Traceable
Cash

:rolleyes:

Bill Blasic
04-08-2008, 7:32 AM
[QUOTE=Gordon Seto;824131]Jon,

Introduce her to your club members and visit their shops. I will guarantee you that you will find someone sicker than you are in accumulating tools and woods. They will make you look like you are on a bare minimum. Trust me on this. The guys who invite a group of members to visit their shops and hang out together won't just have a $200 lathe and a set of Harbor Freight tools. Some have 3 or 4 lathes, and their cheap lathe is worth more than my good one.

Come on Gordon not all shops are that way, when you guys were here you saw I have the same lathe as you do.:)

Norm Zax
04-08-2008, 7:42 AM
mail box ... back door ... after dark...
The magic words.

Gordon Seto
04-08-2008, 7:42 AM
Jon,

There are a lot of people would make you look good. Those opportunity comes by all the time. Spend some quality time watching news together. When the NY Governor spent thousands of dollars an hour on you know what (this is a family forum) news broke, I would say I would rather spend on my dream lathe. So when the time comes, the lathe is what she rather you to have.

You also have to make her believe in what you believe in. I never bought her flowers. I always said I have done nothing wrong, what would I buy you flowers for. You have done nothing wrong, I am not expecting flowers from you. You also need reinforcing moments. When Monica story broke, I told my wife if I had Monica serving me on her back, I would send her dozen roses every day. Now if I send her flowers, she would be real upset.

YMMV, we have been happily married for 34 years.

Raymond Overman
04-08-2008, 8:08 AM
Brother Jon,

Just remind her of The First Beatitude:

Blessed be the poor for yours is the kingdom of God. (Luke 6:20)

You're just trying to make sure you get to heaven. The way things are going with the economy, there's a good chance we'll all get in. I just hope they have a forest full of hardwoods with burls the size of small elephants and a room full of mustards and mayos so we can all get together and turn every once in a while.:rolleyes:

//Yes, I know that poor in this verse actually means humble. You just get lucky with the English translation I guess.//

Good luck Jon.

Gordon Seto
04-08-2008, 8:15 AM
Bill,

The only error is your cheapest lathe won't cost more than my good one. How about the new Mustard addition and the addition to the already large shop?
Your spacious workshop and the wood collection would allow me to spend 6 figures to catch up. Trust me, you made me look real good. It seems my shop is on shoes string budget. I know I have been very fortunate and I already have more than my fair share. It takes a lot of will power to resist the temptation. With 15 to 25% Rockler club meeting discounts and Doug Thompson at our back yard, it is tough.

This is something you may not have yet. I tried very hard to resist it. I saw the prototype at BWWT meeting, and I saw one of the two production at Turning 2007. I didn't buy it and let Mark Sfirri bought it. This time I couldn't resist, it followed me home. It is out of stock, and unlikely to be restocked soon.http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/b4ca8d11.jpg

The top is the Thompson SRG, the bottom is the P&N SRG. They both have almost identical flute, the Thompson has better steel and sturdier tang.

BTW, taking your wife to others workshop is every enjoyable. Woodturners are very courteous people, she was being treated well. She hangs out with the wives; she would get a booster shot that spending on tools and wood are normal.

David Newson
04-08-2008, 10:46 AM
I hope everything turns out ok for you.

I always talk about what I'm going to buy for quite a while before I buy it. I even show the LOML pictures so she knows what is going to arrive.

She gets her sewing, cross stitch. knitting, etc stuff & I get woodworking stuff.

Bart, I had to have a good laugh on your comments :D, you must be a man of mine own heart it nearly always works, also I take mine to our monthly woodturners meeting, she says she's bored sometimes but she still goes so it cant be that boring.

David

Paul Douglass
04-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Will my wife smokes, so I tell her I get to spend the equivalent of around $5 a day on tools (price of a pack)!:mad: Than I pick myself up and march back to my work shop to lick my wounds!!:(

curtis rosche
04-08-2008, 11:24 AM
keep the things hidden out in the shop and then once or twice a week bring in something new and show it to her, then tell her how much each thing cost. if you drag it out enough she ll forget and it wont add up to $300 in her head unless she writes it down:cool:

robert hainstock
04-08-2008, 4:28 PM
It took me about 40 years to get to the her money, our money, my money. I hope by now that you are out of the doghouse, and over it. best of life to you and yours.:););)
Bob

robert hainstock
04-08-2008, 4:29 PM
It took me about 40 years to get to the her money , our money, my money place. I hope by now that you are out of the doghouse, and over it. best of life to you and yours.:););)
Bob

Joseph Peacock
04-08-2008, 8:17 PM
I will pray for you.

Barry Elder
04-08-2008, 8:55 PM
Too late to pray for your body 'cause that belongs to SWMBO. But you must have a decent soul 'cause you turn wood.

Paul Engle
04-09-2008, 12:24 PM
LOML read this , now I am in trouble......and I only spent 29.95$ of 325$ money I made by selling woodworking.....

GLENN THOMAS
04-09-2008, 1:21 PM
Im not suggesting that you do this but if it were me I would just cowboy up and explain to her that I'm the king of my castle and I can do what ever I want. I would also remind her that she is just a lowly peasant girl and of she didn't like it she could she could hit the bricks.

Well I got to hurry up and go. If I dont have the laundry done before my wife gets home Im in deep trouble.

GT