PDA

View Full Version : Netscape Mail

Steve Clardy
03-27-2004, 11:46 AM
I often get this message, folder being processed, please wait to get your mail. Like this morning, I have spent almost an hour trying to get my mail. Just what is it doing that my mail will not come through till it processes? Steve

Chuck Wintle
03-27-2004, 2:23 PM
In your netscape mail setup are there some mail rules that you have added? 1 hour seems long to get a few email messages unless you get hundreds each day.

Steve Clardy
03-27-2004, 3:24 PM
In your netscape mail setup are there some mail rules that you have added? 1 hour seems long to get a few email messages unless you get hundres each day.
Not using the rules or junk mail controls. I do click on the junk mail sometimes and some emails are sent to junk automatically. I do use mailwasher pro to filter out my mail on the server before its sent to me. Steve

Lee Schierer
03-27-2004, 7:42 PM
One of the things about Netscape mail that I don't care for is even if you delete a message, it is still present in the inbox file. What you need to do is right click on the inbox and trash periodically and "click on the compact folder" option. Check the size of this file before and after the compact operation and you will be amazed at how much smaller it gets. This will significantly reduce the size of the email file and avoid the self compacting (folder being process) that occurs only when the folder reaches the maximum allowable size set in your preferences. Deleting old messages will also eliminate this problem.

This is also important with any virus files you might recieve because they still reside in the netscape maile file and can still potentially cause problem becuae they have not actually been delted from your hard drive. Don't let your virus protection automatically delete files. It can erase the entire nescape mail file and take away all your stored messages.

Have you upgraded to Netscape 7.1?? If not, I highly recommend it. The popup blocker is great and many of the earlier problems have been fixed. I rarely have a Netscape problem with the new version.

Steve Clardy
03-27-2004, 8:24 PM
One of the things about Netscape mail that I don't care for is even if you delete a message, it is still present in the inbox file. What you need to do is right click on the inbox and trash periodically and "click on the compact folder" option. Check the size of this file before and after the compact operation and you will be amazed at how much smaller it gets. This will significantly reduce the size of the email file and avoid the self compacting (folder being process) that occurs only when the folder reaches the maximum allowable size set in your preferences. Deleting old messages will also eliminate this problem.

This is also important with any virus files you might recieve because they still reside in the netscape maile file and can still potentially cause problem becuae they have not actually been delted from your hard drive. Don't let your virus protection automatically delete files. It can erase the entire nescape mail file and take away all your stored messages.

Have you upgraded to Netscape 7.1?? If not, I highly recommend it. The popup blocker is great and many of the earlier problems have been fixed. I rarely have a Netscape problem with the new version.

Thanks Lee. I'll go through that and see what happens. Yes, I have 7.1 I believe. Upgraded here while back. No popups at all . I used to run outlook, but got so tired of it failing, netscape is better in some ways, some not. Steve