PDA

View Full Version : Felder AD741 On Sale! Uhh..honey...

Peter Quinn
04-07-2008, 2:28 PM
So I open my mail and find the Felder Flyer...the Ad741 16" Jointer Planer is on sale $1255- off! So I tell my wife "Honey, good news, the jointer Planer I've been wanting is on sale, and they're gonna be in New England in May anyway, maybe I can get free shipping too..." and she asks "How Much" and I say "Its $1255 off!" and she says "Didn't the one you use now cost less than that total?" and I say "Yeah, but.." and she asks "Is the one you have now broken?" and I say "Oh now, it works great, I should be able to sell it no problem." and she asks "So if the Felder is $1255 off, how much does it COST" and I say "Well how important is that when they are basically GIVING me as much as my present jointer costs FREE!" and she asks "So how much is the one you have now worth? and I say..."about.." and she interjects "Because I'll buy it, and give it to you for father's day, then you'll have a jointer for free anyway!"

I think her logic is broken..she just doesn't get it. I mean $1255 OFF!:rolleyes:

Rob Russell
04-07-2008, 2:38 PM
So I open my mail and find the Felder Flyer...the Ad741 16" Jointer Planer is on sale $1255- off! So I tell my wife "Honey, good news, the jointer Planer I've been wanting is on sale, and they're gonna be in New England in May anyway, maybe I can get free shipping too..." and she asks "How Much" and I say "Its $1255 off!" and she says "Didn't the one you use now cost less than that total?" and I say "Yeah, but.." and she asks "Is the one you have now broken?" and I say "Oh now, it works great, I should be able to sell it no problem." and she asks "So if the Felder is $1255 off, how much does it COST" and I say "Well how important is that when they are basically GIVING me as much as my present jointer costs FREE!" and she asks "So how much is the one you have now worth? and I say..."about.." and she interjects "Because I'll buy it, and give it to you for father's day, then you'll have a jointer for free anyway!"

I think her logic is broken..she just doesn't get it. I mean $1255 OFF!:rolleyes:

Unless you have a 16" jointer now, you can't compare your current machine to the AD741. The fact that your 6" or 8" jointer cost less than the price decrease is still not an "apples to apples" comparison.

Peter Quinn
04-07-2008, 2:41 PM
Perhaps you could speak to my wife?

Rob Russell
04-07-2008, 4:11 PM
Not sure you want that to happen - I have the AD751 :D .

Don Abele
04-07-2008, 5:03 PM
Peter, I got that same flyer in the mail today. It's not a sale...that's what you will save if you buy it now before the price increase due to increasing value of the Euro. It was supposed to happen April 1st. Felder/Hammer say they are "freezing the pricing"..."Hurry". Yeah, right...it's a sales gimmick to try and sell more now.

Of course, I did buy the Hammer A3-31 J/P that I'll pick up at the WW Expo in May. :D

Be well,

Doc

Narayan Nayar
04-07-2008, 5:25 PM
I don't think it's a sales gimmick, Don. It's only a matter of time before all Euro manufacturers raise their prices due to the value of the American peso, I mean dollar, right now. I suspect they were going to raise prices on April 1st but are trying to hold out as long as they can to not give their direct competition too much of an opening. I also suspect that Felder will be among the first companies to raise prices, and that it'll be more than 10%.

I set up the A3-31 about a week ago and though I've been away from the shop in the interim, I did run a few boards through it and it did a great job. Carl @ Felder was a pleasure to work with, too--numerous conversations and prompt email responses both before and after the sale, and he called on delivery day to make sure everything arrived OK.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-07-2008, 5:33 PM
Just get the thing.
It's always easier to say OOPS sorry after it's delivered than to put them in the cat bird seat with a veto before you purchase it.

And if you do it right it and pay cash won't inconvenience the missus anyway so there wouldn't be any reason to ever mention it.

"Oh the new look? It's just paint."

Todd Solomon
04-07-2008, 6:21 PM
If you work it out with your better half and get the machine, you're gonna love it. I just turned mine on last night, for the first time.

This thing is as close to machinery bliss that I've ever used! Tables are dead-flat and parallel, power-drive makes it quick and easy to switch from jointer to planer, Tersa knives are the cat's meow. I set the planer to plane to .750", and guess what- .750" right out of the crate, according to my calipers. Beautiful surface finish, virtually no snipe. Just get the machine.

I've been buying european machines for six years. The prices have been going up constantly in that time period, especially due to the low dollar. If you think you're going to get one eventually, and can afford it now, don't wait.

Todd

Peter Quinn
04-07-2008, 6:51 PM
It all started with that video they sent me...Seb the 'carpenter' makes a beautiful walnut desk while demonstrating how the Sus Tiroler's have solved every problem with traditional wood working machines. It was like realizing somebody had built the machines I had been designing in my head for years.

The real problem is I just don't have $14,000 cash on hand that won't be missed. There's all this talk of college for my son and retirement before death! Completely irrational. I went to college, over rated I say. My dad retired and now he's looking for a part time job!

I'm going to the New England Industrial Woodworking expo to look at them, I'll be leaving the check book home. Just to look...and drool...and dream...