PDA

View Full Version : Delta Homecraft scroll saw

Howie French
04-07-2008, 1:32 PM
a friend has offered me a Delta Homecraft scroll saw.

I currently have a newer basic Delta variable spreed scroll saw that I use only occasionally.

Can anyone tell me how the older saw would compare to the newer saw.

Howie

Pete Bradley
04-07-2008, 2:37 PM
Is it free? If so, give it a try.

These are common and decent ones usually sell for less than 40 bucks. It shares a few parts with the venerable Delta 24" machine, but is otherwise much more lightly built. It's still a good bit more solid than cheapies at your local Borg.

Pete

Thomas Knapp
04-07-2008, 2:55 PM
It's different than the modern scroll saws. The cylinder on the top contains a spring which controls the blade tension. I had a similar saw and wished it had more tension. Another minor annoyance is those didn't have tool less blade changes. You will probably need an allen wrench or a screw driver to change blades. Hopefully it will take pin less blades. I'm not sure about that. I remember someone remarking they liked those for packet cutting marquetry, because the blade had a straight up and down motion instead of the elliptical or rocking motion most of the popular scroll saws have. I gave mine to a friend when I bought A Dewalt scroll saw. I wouldn't want to switch back.