PDA

View Full Version : Trying a NE Bowl

Chris Jenkins
04-07-2008, 1:15 PM
Finally got some nice weather to get the chain saw out last night before sun down and cut a log I came across about a month ago.

Enjoyed my shower along the way of rounding this guy out. Don't ask about the spigot out the back, it wasn't planned...

Either way I figured I should sand this before I turn the bowl around and core it out, but the wood was very wet. I was thinking I should let this dry for a few days before I sand? Or should I just sand the outside and inside at the same time? Not quite sure what to do here as this is my first NE bowl.

Also when it comes time to finish this can I do it now or do I have to wait? I scared that if I wait the bowl will come out of round and I won't be able to chuck it again. Also I have heard it is a good idea to try and CA glue the bark line?

Chris

David Wilhelm
04-07-2008, 4:30 PM
Raymond gives you a pretty good step by step here. take a look. To Answer your Questions, Yes glue the bark. Thin the walls even, leave the tenon on and sand and blo or what ever you do when you are done. If it's green it will warp witch it's cool. Remove the tenon. You can redress the bottom or flat sand if you need after it has settled out. Then finish it. Power sanding is a huge plus I've converted LOL

http://70.169.135.35/showthread.php?t=77863

Bill Bolen
04-07-2008, 7:57 PM
NE's I always do start to finish. I don't rough and bag them anynmore. The warping adds a nice touch to a natural piece..Bill..

Curt Fuller
04-07-2008, 8:57 PM
Chris, with wood that's wet enough to give you a shower you'll either need to take some serious measures prevent it from cracking or else just turn it nice and thin, 3/16" or so, and let nature takes it's course. But that's some nice looking wood and it should turn out nice. If you go for it all in one turning, you find that as it spins it throws a lot of the moisture and the friction of sanding eventually dries the surface enough to sand with out clogging the sand paper.

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Ditto what Curt said. Also if you turn it thin 3/16" or less you can sometimes and I have taken a air hose to actually blow water out of the wood.