PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking at Home Magazine

Chris DeHut
03-27-2004, 7:59 AM
Greetings all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the sawmill creek discount will be expiring at the end of this month. So if you are thinking about subscribing to Woodworking at Home Magazine, you might as well do it now with the sawmill creek discount.

Please see the thread above on how to get the discount.

I would also like to say "THANKS" to all of the members here that have already subscribed.

Chris DeHut

Jim Taylor
03-27-2004, 8:26 AM
Do subscribers normally receive an email confirmation on the order? I think I ordered on Wednesday or Thursday, but did not receive any confirmation...

Tyler Howell
03-27-2004, 8:39 AM

QUOTE]

I'm not seeing it Chris! One more time for the slow to decide, (think, move, react.........)

Chris DeHut
03-27-2004, 9:07 AM
Do subscribers normally receive an email confirmation on the order? I think I ordered on Wednesday or Thursday, but did not receive any confirmation...

We are so fast with shipping and processing, usually the orders get to the customer before the email!

Just kidding Jim, No, we do not send out confirming emails. However, your order was processed and mailed on Thursday so it should be there today.

Chris

Chris DeHut
03-27-2004, 9:08 AM

QUOTE]

I'm not seeing it Chris! One more time for the slow to decide, (think, move, react.........)

Here is the response I received from Chris concerning discounts for SMC members. Honestly I believe that DVD magazines are the way of the future. Considering the needs of most woodworkers having the drawings and integrated video for projects is definitely the way to go.

Thanks for posting the "Free stuff" drawing for us. I saw the thread today and noticed the desire by your participants for the discount offer.
Our normal subscription price for a 1 year subscription is $33.95 which is a savings of 46% from our single issue prices ordered from our website ($6.95 each + $2.00 S&H).

I will make two offers for your members:

Offer #1
1 year subscription for $29.50 which is a savings of $4.45
This subscription would start with issue #8 which is expected to mail in
about 3 weeks.

Offer #2
1 year subscription for $29.50 which is a savings of $4.45
First 7 back issues for $41.65 which is a savings of $21.00

Our on-line shopping system is not setup for "Discount codes" so this
process will seem a little strange for your members. They can place their
orders on our web site by selecting a 1 year subscription. If they are going for offer #2, they will need to select each of the 7 back issues one-by-one. The prices shown will be for the full prices. Near the last step of check-out, there is a field where you can input your customer ID number. In this box, have them enter the following codes...

Offer #1 enter --> 998741
Offer #2 enter --> 998742

This code, will be a flag for us to work out the discounts when we process the orders. The discounted price will not be shown on the shopping system. We don't process payment automatically, so for us this will be handled off-line.

Thanks again!

Chris DeHut
SoftWerks International Inc.
http://www.woodworkingathome.com

Jim Taylor
03-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Most excellent. Thank you Chris, looking forward to all the those DVDs!

-Jim

Tim Morton
03-27-2004, 2:08 PM
I think I did it wrong...I never saw a way to enter the validation code...so i was billed the full 91 dollars. What do I need to do to fet it corrected?

Jack Hogoboom
03-27-2004, 4:32 PM
Chris,

I just have to tell you that I've been a subscriber since issue no. 1 and love your magazine. I think it is a terrific implementation of technology. Seeing projects made right in front of you really helps a beginner like me. I get so much more out of seeing how things are done compared to reading how they are done.

I have to believe that DVD magazines are the wave of the future. I can see so many other areas where the idea would work just as well as i woodworking.

Please keep them coming.

Jack

Chris DeHut
03-29-2004, 8:15 AM
Chris,

I just have to tell you that I've been a subscriber since issue no. 1 and love your magazine. I think it is a terrific implementation of technology. Seeing projects made right in front of you really helps a beginner like me. I get so much more out of seeing how things are done compared to reading how they are done.

I have to believe that DVD magazines are the wave of the future. I can see so many other areas where the idea would work just as well as i woodworking.

Please keep them coming.

Jack

Before expanding into other markets, we are focusing all of our efforts into making Woodworking at Home Magazine a big hit. Once WaHM is self supportive, then we plan to expand our magazine concept into other markets. It has been very exciting so far and we are really looking forward to expanding on the overall concept.

Chris

Chris DeHut
03-30-2004, 8:02 AM
Hi Chris,

Your subscription will start with issue #8 so everything works out fine for the discount.

Thanks for the order!

Chris

Chris Padilla
03-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Excellent!

Thanks!

Chris DeHut
03-31-2004, 8:14 AM
Excellent!

Thanks!

We aim to please!

Chris DeHut
03-31-2004, 8:23 AM
Today is the end of the month. So if you are thinking of subscribing to Woodworking at Home Magazine, save yourself a few dollars and subscribe today.

Chris

Tim Morton
04-02-2004, 7:55 AM
Recieved my back 8 issues in the mail last night. I think this is the COOLEST thing ever. I can sit here at my iMac and watch them while surfing the SMC forum. :D

Thanks!!!!!

Chris Padilla
04-02-2004, 11:17 AM
I recieved mine in the mail last night! I watched a few parts of the first one...looks good.

The sawmill 'article' was a little short as I think I was expecting more but I still enjoyed it tremendously. Dual 24" (??) sawblades are certainly an intimidating sight! Those poor trees.... :)

Chris DeHut
04-02-2004, 1:34 PM
I recieved mine in the mail last night! I watched a few parts of the first one...looks good.

The sawmill 'article' was a little short as I think I was expecting more but I still enjoyed it tremendously. Dual 24" (??) sawblades are certainly an intimidating sight! Those poor trees.... :)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments. I did get a couple of complaints on that story. After reviewing it a couple of times and with talking the folks at the sawmill, we couldn't come up with anything to add. We will be doing a similar story later this year so I sure would like to know what else you would have liked to see in that story.

And yes, that saw is spooky! During the filming of the story, there were a couple of times when Ron would walk out on the log deck. At the location he was standing, it was about 4 feet away from those blades. Flashbacks to all the horror movies I have ever seen started - it sure is spooky!

Chris

Chris Padilla
04-02-2004, 1:45 PM
Chris,

First, there was too much talking at the beginning. Nothing wrong with what was said but more pics of logs being brought in, unloaded, with the talk over it would have been better.

I would have like more info about the way the log was turned and why it was cut on the direction it was. How about info regarding flat-sawn, rift-sawn, and quarter-sawn? How do they pick out nicely figured lumber? Can they see it in the tree? How is a nice tree cut to explore for possible nice figure? Why cut 4/4 or 8/4 or 12/4...how is that figured out? What tree was that? (Cherry?)

Drying is always very interesting. What problems do they have? Any examples of a badly twisted board even though cut and dried properly? Why did it twist? Any tree difficult to dry properly? How about sealing the end-grain?

I would have like to seen some of the waste taken care of, too. Shredding up the bark would've been a cool few seconds of footage. Are there piles of the sawdust, shavings. bark around there?

Helps? :)

Chris DeHut
04-02-2004, 2:09 PM
Chris,

First, there was too much talking at the beginning. Nothing wrong with what was said but more pics of logs being brought in, unloaded, with the talk over it would have been better.

I would have like more info about the way the log was turned and why it was cut on the direction it was. How about info regarding flat-sawn, rift-sawn, and quarter-sawn? How do they pick out nicely figured lumber? Can they see it in the tree? How is a nice tree cut to explore for possible nice figure? Why cut 4/4 or 8/4 or 12/4...how is that figured out? What tree was that? (Cherry?)

Drying is always very interesting. What problems do they have? Any examples of a badly twisted board even though cut and dried properly? Why did it twist? Any tree difficult to dry properly? How about sealing the end-grain?

I would have like to seen some of the waste taken care of, too. Shredding up the bark would've been a cool few seconds of footage. Are there piles of the sawdust, shavings. bark around there?

Helps? :)

Hi again Chris, thank you very much for the great suggestions. I will try to address some of the issues you broght up.

The suggestion for rift, quarter, and flat sawn is an excellant suggestion. Perhaps this could be a follow up story in itself as there is a lot to cover there.

As the area we are in, there isn't a whole lot of "prize trees" to choose from. Most of what they are converting is tracks of trees that formerly were between farm fields that are now being converted to subdivisions. So they don't search out trees with figure etc.

Occasionaly they will get a tree with exceptional figure. This is often found after milling or even drying. They set this material aside and wait for the next victim (usually me) to buy it. In fact, the last three trips out there yielded some great tiger maple and curly red oak. Mind you, I had no intention of going there to get the figured wood - they just show it to me and somehow it ends up in the load (at a price).

The sad truth about the logs they were cutting that day is they were all burr oak which is usually used for pallets. None of what they cut that day was anything exceptional so I decided not to talk about pallet lumber. In fact, much of it was just down right ugly.

All of the waste material is transferred by conveyers under the saw into a large box inside a little room - other than seeing a wall, we couldn't show much there.

We did try to get some footage inside the kiln but there was way too much moisture in there for the camera equipment.

The drying process is rather detailed too so that too may become another story.

I hope this clears things up a little for you. I look forward to reviewing your comments the next time we are out there (or anywhere for that matter) filming a story.

Chris

Tim Morton
04-03-2004, 1:52 PM
Watching the 4th issue right now and am watching the Bauhaus segment...is it me or should the girl who is now his partner be using a push stick to rip the 6" pieces. Or is it safe enough to be pushing that though and side stepping the kick back?