PDA

View Full Version : Distortion on Pint Glass

Anthony Scira
04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Names and other things work fine on a pint glass. But when you put a circle you really see the distortion.

Is there a way to figure out how to correct the distortion of the taper on the pint glass?

Rodne Gold
04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Can you shim up the whole rotary attachment where the glass tapers thinner?
That might help???

Jeanette Brewer
04-07-2008, 5:37 PM
I'm not entirely sure what a pint glass is but see if the article on page one of our last newsletter helps...

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/newsletters-chron.htm

Click on the top one (2008 #1).

James Mooney
04-07-2008, 6:42 PM
I find that consuming the contents of a few of the pint glasses tends to make everything appear much better :D

Sorry couldn't resist!

Craig Hogarth
04-07-2008, 7:06 PM
The interactive envelope tool works great in times like this. I've done glasses with an hourglass shape that came out with minimal distortion.

Jim Watkins
04-07-2008, 9:14 PM
Names and other things work fine on a pint glass. But when you put a circle you really see the distortion.

Is there a way to figure out how to correct the distortion of the taper on the pint glass?

Anthony,
I have had similar problems and what I had to do is take the circle or image, and add about 2% to the width which was going around the glass and that fixed the problem. Now you have to guess at it, it depends on how large the glass is and I would suggest putting some blue tape on and burn the image at only enough power to discolor the tape to test your image. That way you don't damage your piece. once it looks right, you can engrave your glass.

Colleen Hutchins
05-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey Craig,

Care to elaborate on your method of using the envelope tool?

Thanks,

Colleen