View Full Version : Domino alignment

Brian Kincaid
04-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Using my domino I have made several 20x36" panels using 5x36" boards.

My problem is that I have not been able to get decent alignment from board to board so the boards are 'offset' from each other where they join. I think it is technique. (I have not used a biscuit jointer before)
The domino holes line up well because I'm using the extended pin fence.
The boards are uniform thickness because they have all been through the planer. I also confirmed the thickness with a mock-up on an assembly table and the edges were not detectable to the touch.

Here is what I have been doing:
1) Set the fence on the front of the machine to 90deg so that the handle sits on top of the wood. Use this as my 'reference'
2) Set the fence height so that the machine floats slightly above the table. Not use table as reference.
3) Hold the fence handle firmly to the wood.
4) Gently cut the slots

I hope it's me and not the tool. That way I can fix it easily: bad woodworker! ::SLAP:: :)

I hope someone who has done some of these panels can let me know their technique.

Bruce Pennell
04-07-2008, 2:51 PM
Brian try pencil marks and register off the window sight. Also I found by holding the Domino by the plug it end I got my best cuts. Also check your hammerheads to see if they are both set the same. Make sure they are seated. Hope this helps, I have heard of a few people having problems with their hammerheads (alignment pins), 1) just not accurate usually two causes A) saw dust left in the hole B) not set right, one set in valley, one set on top.
I would try the pencil mark system to see if it straightens out. The other thing that helped is I hook my left thumb over the front handle and pull it into the work piece. Make sure your pressure isn't pushing the tool into the table, have your work over hang the bench. Keep trying I had a slight learning curve, get some scrap and go to it. Good Luck Bruce
PS remember if its not right 30 day return policy. :D

Mark Carlson
04-07-2008, 4:05 PM
Brian,

The 1st thing I'd check is that your domino fence is really at 90 degrees. Mine was more like 89 degrees out of the box. Use two squares, put one on the fence and one on the base and make sure they meet without a gap.

~mark

Wade Lippman
04-07-2008, 4:40 PM
You didn't mention face jointing the boards; they probably aren't flat. The dominos will minimize the problem, but can't make it go away unless you put them every inch.

You are saying the ends aren't even? I feel my panels and clamp then even when there is a problem; you have to ease up on the panel clamps to do that.

Can't say I have ever dominoed a panel; biscuits are easier and cheaper, but perhaps you don't have a biscuit joiner.

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-07-2008, 7:24 PM
Brian, 2 things to check: It could be your technique. Remember if you are working from left to right on one board, to work right to left on the other, using the other side of your outriggers, assuming they are both set to identical increments.
If you are doing that and there's still a problem, then it's probably the locating pins are out of alignment. Bob Marino's website has an excellent supplemental manual and the process is listed on page 21. http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/docs/Unreleased-Domino.pdf

Joe Okasinski
04-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Are you making two identical boards and then joining them together by opening them like a book? If you are and the domino is not perfectly in the center of the board there will be a mismatch at the edge. I think the approved solution is to make sure you are cutting from the good side on both pieces, that way if there is a difference in the thickness of the boards it would be hidden on the bad side.

good luck.

Bill Wyko
04-08-2008, 12:24 PM
On my Domino I drew a line around 3 sides of a board then I made domino cuts on both sides. Now I check the alignment of the mortises. If they are offset I move the cursor 1/2 of the offset and try again until the mortises are aligned perfectly. Ive got mine dead accurate. I hope this helps.:)

Brian Kincaid
04-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Great idea Bill. Isn't it funny how the best solutions look so obvious after they have revealed themselves?

Brian

Jeff Wright
04-09-2008, 8:42 AM
On my Domino I drew a line around 3 sides of a board then I made domino cuts on both sides. Now I check the alignment of the mortises. If they are offset I move the cursor 1/2 of the offset and try again until the mortises are aligned perfectly. Ive got mine dead accurate. I hope this helps.:)

Not sure I follow you . . . do you make cut #1 with the left side of the machine towards board end A and the make cut #2 with the left side of the machine towards board end B?

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm with you, Jeff. Clueless. Can you post some pictures or explain in more detail? Thanks