PDA

View Full Version : Source for CNC-cut Adirondack chair templates?

Phil Thien
04-07-2008, 9:28 AM
Has anyone seen a kit with full-size templates for an Adirondack chair? I had figured someone with a CNC machine would cut these out of 1/4" tempered hardboard and sell them, saving me the step of having to make them myself. But casual googling hasn't resulted in any hits.

Ryan Eldridge
04-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Phil,

I know woodcraft carries a set of them, http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20116 .

I saw them over there a few weeks ago the picture of the chair is a nice, but it is not on their website.

John Powers
04-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I took Norms plans, cut them out and spary adhesived them to 1/4 board. Have used them for a few chairs now. Those from Woodcraft and the router idea look good though. I just trace mine and bandsaw.

Phil Thien
04-07-2008, 8:51 PM
Ryan--Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for, I'll check my Woodcraft and see if they have any.

John--I don't even have a pattern yet, so figured this would save me a step. I'll try cutting them on the bandsaw first, but if I need to clean 'em up I can do so at the router table.

Von Bickley
04-07-2008, 9:12 PM
I just used Norm's plans and cut them out of 1/4" luan.

Bill Huber
04-07-2008, 10:23 PM
I just made my first one and I use 1/2 MDF and like was stated I spray glued my patters to it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=80856

I cut them out on the bandsaw, the ones that had curves on them and the others I use the table saw and a tapering jig. Some parts had straight lines and curves and I just cut the straight lines on the table saw and then cut the rest out on the bandsaw.

On the bandsaw I cut just outside the line and then sanded them to the line with my belt sander (Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander).

I thought this was going to be a really big job but making the templates was just not that big of a thing. MDF sands so easy that getting them smooth and sanded to the line was really easy.

Good Luck.

Phil Thien
04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
I thought this was going to be a really big job but making the templates was just not that big of a thing. MDF sands so easy that getting them smooth and sanded to the line was really easy.

Good Luck.

I know, I know. But I figured buying the plans would be $10-$15, if I could get pre-made templates for a little more I figured it would be worth it.

Bill Huber
04-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I know, I know. But I figured buying the plans would be $10-$15, if I could get pre-made templates for a little more I figured it would be worth it.

You could always buy a pre-made chair, you can get a real nice redwood one for around $300....:D:D

One of the main reasons I made my own templates was that I really like the look of the Lee Valley chair and then another reason was I just got my bandsaw and I wanted to use it as much as I could.

Dan Scherer
06-11-2010, 12:06 AM
anyone have any good templates they would sell? i looked at woodcrafts's and they look close but not exactly like norms.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

Bill Huber
06-11-2010, 12:17 AM
The templates are really easy to make.

I use the Lee Valley plans and just cut them out spray on some 3M spray glue and glue them to some 1/2 MDF.

Now just cut them on the band saw or with a jig saw, now sand them to the line and they are ready to go.

This is the Lee Valley chair.