PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Platter with Brass - Thanks Frank Kobilsek

steven carter
04-07-2008, 8:55 AM
Some time last year, Frank Kobilsek had a posting where he used brass as a filler that I really liked. I contacted Frank about how he did it and where he got the brass. Not only did Frank answer my questions, he sent me a bag of brass!!:) What a great guy! Well, Rusty Hensley, a guy I am kind of mentoring in the vortex was given a turning blank about 15" in diameter and since it wouldn't fit on his jet 1236 (my old jet 1236), he gave it to me to turn. We weren't sure what kind of wood it was, it was pretty old and very dry. It was marked with a lumber pencil that it was crotch but we coundn't make out what. Turns out it was cherry, and I used brass to fill in the cracks. It is even better looking than the pictures show. Thanks again Frank!!

Tom Sherman
04-07-2008, 9:25 AM
This is a real nice looking piece of Cherry can't see the brass very well though. Great job.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2008, 9:36 AM
Nice platter Steven! Yup! Frank's a nice guy.

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Steve - great looking platter - absolutely beautiful wood! Love all that curl!

Glenn Hodges
04-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I like cherry, thanks for the pictures of this beauty.

Frank Kobilsek
04-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Steven

Nice platter and thanks for the recognition.

All anyone needs to do to have a good supply of brass is to flirt with the gals at your local hardware store. The girls save the key machine shavings for me. I run a magnet thru the bag to grab any stray steel wires from the brush that they buff the keys with and use what's left. Pure BRass is brighter but not as readily available. The 'Penny' bowl at the store is one of my early creations, that helped close the deal.

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Steven that is a great looking platter. Wood is beautiful.

Skip Spaulding
04-07-2008, 12:20 PM
WOW!! Do you melt the brass and pour or use fine shavings and glue? Or some other method? Thanks, Skip

steven carter
04-07-2008, 1:10 PM
Skip,
Just pack the crack with shavings and then add CA glue. Be careful when dealing with the shavings, as they act like thousands of splinters trying to get in your fingers. DAMIKT. Finish with a light cut to even out and get rid of the CA glue and then sand as normal.

Steve

Skip Spaulding
04-09-2008, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the info Steve, I will give it a try, seems like I have a lot cracked bowls and this just might let me tell everyone they are now "ART"! Thanks again, Skip