PDA

View Full Version : need help cutting up the gloat...

Rasmus Petersen
04-07-2008, 4:17 AM
Hello all... well im digging in on the gloat load tomorrow.. and i need some help cutting up the burls and mounting ad turning.. I am after all still a beginner...

this is the burl i plan on starting with itīs chestnut. i can post more pics later today/tomorrow..

how do i get the most out of this ?

Frank Kobilsek
04-07-2008, 8:57 AM
Rasmus,

There are two seperate Burls on that log. My opinion is that if you try to make one big turning you'll waste much of the burl figure. Therefore try to picture in your mind that the burls are like an ice cream cone or a muffin with a big fluffy top. Cut the piece in half and then try to center the burl 'crown' either at top or bottom of your piece. The one on the left (the bigger burl) might make a nice bowl with the bottom of the bowl toward the outside of the log. The other might make a good natural edge or HF with the top of the piece toward the outside of the burl.

Good luck, Nice find. Save the piece you cut off and cut them into smal piece for Stoppers or pen blanks or even small boxes.

Frank

Rasmus Petersen
04-08-2008, 2:14 AM
Thnakyou frank for the good advice... i will runt with it. seems nobdy else had any good idears...

charlie knighton
04-08-2008, 7:55 PM
where are you at???

i got weak mind and back, but willing to help ya out! :D

Rasmus Petersen
04-09-2008, 6:26 AM
thanks for the kind offer but seeing that i live in Denmark thats maby stretching it a bit :-)

charlie knighton
04-09-2008, 8:49 AM
do yall have many chestnut trees in Denmark, we sort of lost most of ours and ACF has been trying to bring them back???

Rasmus Petersen
04-09-2008, 8:59 AM
A lot would be lying.. and this one is Fake Chestnut og Horse Chestnut..