PDA

View Full Version : Phinial Phun

Richard Madison
04-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Same HF as before. Removed reflector from overhead light, which makes the “hot spot” smaller. Reduced light from underneath, but still see reflection of expensive background material (old sheet) in bottom half of HF. Brightened the dark areas (the HF) just a little, which does help. Not wonderful, but maybe better than it was.

First- HF w/ original phat phinial.
Second- With new, similar shape but smaller phinial.
Third- Side by side.

Even tried outdoors on totally overcast day. Got better overall light balance, and a dandy reflection of overcast sky in top half of HF. That one not posted. Comments welcome.

Richard in Wimberley

Jim Becker
04-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Smaller...better... ;) Not so top heavy. You could even go more dainty, but that one feels pretty good as it is.

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree with Jim - the smaller finial changes the looks of the HF and it is no longer quite so top heavy. I do like your detail work on the finials - very clean and precise!

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Yep the smaller one is the way to go. Both are well done.

Skip Spaulding
04-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I concer, the smaller looks more graceful. A little 80 grit would probably cut the reflection! Second thought let it shine it's a BEAUTY!

Neal Addy
04-07-2008, 1:55 PM
Very nice work! Both are very nice but the second one is more in proportion and balance to the HF as far as size. It also has a bit better shaped "onion" and you nailed the bead element on top!

If I can offer some advice, the transition from the stem to the top "trumpet" (or cone ) element needs to be smoothed out a touch and I would eliminate (or lower) the bottom disk element just above the lid.

Excellent work!

Jim Underwood
04-07-2008, 2:19 PM
I like the smaller one also.

I don't know if this is what Neal was saying or not, but I think you need to think of the flow of the piece. Even the smaller finial needs a bit more and a bit less in the "transition" area.

It needs a bit more size (width) at the bottom to help the direction of the flow, and a few less elements in the bottom of the finial to "smooth out" the flow.

Great hollow form and good finish. I should do half so well...

robert hainstock
04-07-2008, 2:28 PM
More foreground light to bring out the grain. Smaller oneworks better. :)
Bob

Richard Madison
04-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks a bunch for your comments! Helps to see (now, from the pictures) what I did not see when turning the stuff. Gotta start looking at own pictures. Thanks especially Neal and Jim. Big one is pretty smooth but is phlat on top. Smaller one has that kink approaching the top. I recall working on smoothing the curve up to the "kink", but then left the kink. Will try to do one (or more) with just one "disc" element at the bottom. And the base could have been just a little thinner to "flow" into the hf a little better.

Must fiddle with lighting some more, Robert. Am at a loss as how to eliminate reflection of the material underneath.

Really appreciate all your comments, + and -.