PDA

View Full Version : My Sunday work

Amy Leigh Baker
04-06-2008, 11:29 PM
I wanted to show the results from my work today. I was very pleased with the result. I made the under-top cabinet for my table, as shown in the linked sketch.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=83338&d=1204687822

Red oak ply. The pictures are just a dry-fit. I have two biscuits on every joint except the back, which has just one on the left and one on the right. I am going to edge band the front with 5/32" red oak strips I had left over from ripping some stock down. That will cover the horrible plywood end grain. And a 1/2" solid stock door will go on the front hinges on the right.

There was more tear-out on a few cuts than I would have liked. I think this is because I was using a table saw someone gave me, and I think it had the wrong kind of blade on it. But these were all on blind spots, and I switched to this tablesaw for the rest of the cuts.

Can someone suggest a way to get rid of the outbreak of large, brown-and-white, and hairy termites that are coming dangerously close to my projects lately? :D

Jim Dunn
04-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Terrier repellent such as O'de dog food? Not sure. On the tear out Amy try scoring the cut line as sometimes it's the material not the tool.

J. Z. Guest
04-07-2008, 12:08 AM
That looks like a masonry blade on that table saw. Not enough teeth, and probably the ones there aren't sharp enough after cutting god knows how many bricks, hehehe.

Looks good so far, be sure to show us the end product!

John Thompson
04-07-2008, 2:12 AM
The tear-out is due to the blade, Miss Amy. That very well may be a masonary blade as Jeremy mentioned. Hard to tell without a real close-up, but an upgrade to even a cheap blade would be advisable.

And you don't have to spend a fortune on a blade. A cheap one matched with the correct teeth would be fine. I had rather run a cheap blade that is sharp than an expensive one that is dull. But the number of teeth matched to a given task is important to get decent results.

Regards...

Sarge..

john l graham
04-07-2008, 3:56 AM
Try "snausages" on those termites. Works well for my solid black ones.

http://www.snausages.com/default.htm

Don Eddard
04-07-2008, 5:21 AM
You've already gotten good blade advice, but I wanted compliment you on your shop. The view is marvelous.

Sam Yerardi
04-07-2008, 7:37 AM
I agree on your shop. And the termites seem pretty friendly...

Per Swenson
04-07-2008, 7:43 AM
Kiss's. Termites hate kiss's.

Per

Amy Leigh Baker
04-07-2008, 8:41 AM
You've already gotten good blade advice, but I wanted compliment you on your shop. The view is marvelous.

Yeah I was really trying for that airy feeling. I never have to worry about DC or sweeping up :D

Now that you mention it, the blade does look like a masonry blade, but I have to admit, it rips stock pretty darn well. I showed the results to some guys at work (contractors) and they said it looked good.

Question... Judging on the design and materials, should i be applying pre-finish to any of this? Seems like I would have trouble getting to every corner once it is all assembled.

Another question, since the cabinet I made will rest flush against the right leg of my table, should the door to the cabinet be an exact dimension of the cabinet, or does it need to be slightly smaller on the side next to the leg as to not hit the leg when opening? BTW, I know nothing about hinges.

I guess I'll keep the termite, although it kept walking across my wood with her wet feet :)

Todd Bin
04-07-2008, 8:59 AM
One other suggestion on the tearout. put a strip of blue painters tape along the cut line. (Cut line down the middle of the tape).

Very nice view. Is that looking out your shop door?

Amy Leigh Baker
04-07-2008, 9:25 AM
One other suggestion on the tearout. put a strip of blue painters tape along the cut line. (Cut line down the middle of the tape).

Very nice view. Is that looking out your shop door?

Uh... well... that is my shop. Three acres of yard :eek:

About the blade, I neglected to mention that I am taking the saw (with the blade shown) back to it's owner this week and will definitely be buying a new blade and new dado blade for the saw I was given a couple of weeks ago. It's a smaller saw that's several years old, but it was free and the guy said it did him okay in that time. But I wasn't really sure if that would qualify as a gloat.

I remember hearing the painter's tape suggestion before and I like it. I have one other set of plywood cuts to make on this project. I will try it then.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Amy

Jim Becker
04-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Can someone suggest a way to get rid of the outbreak of large, brown-and-white, and hairy termites that are coming dangerously close to my projects lately?

I'd be more worried about the larger beast following said hairy brown and white "termite"... :D

Nice work on the box, Amy!