PDA

View Full Version : Sacrificial fence on Jet Xacta

Larry Nall
04-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I need to install a sacrificial fence on my Jet Xacta fence.

I have a need to do some rabbeting. Normally, I do this with the router but I need to do a couple of hundred feet so it sounds like a job for a dado.

I have no clue as how to properly install a sacrificial fence, although I have some ideas.

Do I take the high density poly siding off and replace it with wood using the same screws? Seems like a good way to mess up a perfectly tuned fence. Rather than taking off the left side, would I be better off taking off the right side? Maybe just clamping it on would work fine. Or maybe I could build a jig that straddles the fence.

Just curious how you all do it.

Thanks

Larry

Tom Veatch
04-06-2008, 11:35 PM
A piece of 3/4" MDF and a couple of 6" clamps has worked well for me. No need to get any fancier than absolutely necessary.

Dave Lehnert
04-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I use this item from Rockler. Seems to work well

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17821&filter=fence%20clamp

Jim Becker
04-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Check out the system detailed in Jim Tolpin's Table Saw Magic book...very handy for all kinds of fence jigging.

Greg Cole
04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
With the Biese Clone fence on my General, I did what Tom's referring to.
With the Incra on there now with t-slots in it, I have a 6" MDF "riser" I attach with some countersunk screws and t-slot nuts....
You can buy clamps with a 90* piece of round metal that you insert into a hole in the top of your sacrificial fence and attach to the TS fence as well.

Greg