PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive Sandpaper Shelf Life?

Sean Kinn
04-06-2008, 10:16 PM
So, the hook and loop pad is dead on my 5" ROS and after some research I've found that the adhesive pads are much cheaper (I never really looked before). How long of a shelf life do the adhesive backed paper discs have? If I buy a pack of 100 (Mirka - amazon.com), it may take me 3-4 years to use that many. Will the adhesive still be good? Or should I just stick to a 50 pack or smaller? Thanks.

Joe Jensen
04-06-2008, 10:32 PM
I used to use adhesive backed paper from 3M called "Stick-IT" with a small palm sander. I've had rolls sitting is the shop in the AZ heat for more than 5 years without issues. On a related note, I had about 30 sanding belts for a 3 x 24" belt sander than went bad on the shelf. Apparently the glue that held the seam together does not have a long life. I have a friend who is a chemical engineer and he said all organic glues fail over time as bacteria will eventually consume the glue :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Sounds pretty weird to me

Sean Kinn
04-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks Joe, I actually has some cheap belts do the same thing. Anyone else have any experience with the shelf life of adhesive backing on discs for a ROS?

Steve Clardy
04-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I use PSA discs.

I have some 5" that have been stored away for 5-6 years now I guess.

I seldom use a 5" sander since going to a 6" sander.

Those 5" are still good.

Lee Schierer
04-07-2008, 2:29 PM
Me too! I've had some of my disks well over 5 years and they don't seem to have any problem sticking to the sander. When I take mine off, I fold them in half and use them for hand sanding.

I have noted that after sanding with them and leaving them set on the disk for a while, they will remove much easier if you use them for 4-5 minutes before trying to peel them off. You might be able to warm them up with an old hair dryer too.

Sean Kinn
04-07-2008, 4:25 PM
OK, thanks for all of the replies everyone. I won't worry about ordering a larger quantity now and having a sizable stockpile.

Eddie Darby
04-07-2008, 6:09 PM
Try sealing sandpaper in Zip-Loc bags to increase the shelf life.