PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a donation???

Lisa Walter
04-06-2008, 9:55 PM
:confused:

Our local library (small town) does an auction fund raiser every year. This year I advertised in their directory and offered to make a donation (something on the laser) for their auction. I am STUCK. I don't know what to donate. My husband suggested a piece of marble or granite lasered......but with what picture?? Then I thought maybe a bottle of wine and a pair of wine glasses but what would I put on them? I'd like it to be something that would show people what the laser could do since I live in a pretty rural area and most people have no clue what a laser is. I thought about putting a picture of the library on the marble, but they are raising money to build a new library......so that made me think.......would someone want a picture of the old library or the new library?? I also saw some patterns on here for nice boxes made of wood or acrylic and thought about doing that. I am just really stuck here for ideas.

Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Lisa

Stephen Beckham
04-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Lisa,

I've got several business card sized (romark - flexibrass) 20% off cards for any single purchase. I use them with church auctions, library donations and many other fund raisers that I get tapped for on a weekly basis. I numbered them and I keep track. Before we started writing them down, we had one group that came in once a month (different person). But since we've kept track, they haven't come back as often. It was more of a visual that we are keeping track and not just giving out freebies..

Honestly, only about 20% have come back - but even when they come back, it's in the order of a purchase. And one group (local VFW) specifically requests the card now when they come in - they use it to purchase thank-you for others in the community. Usually several hundred dollars worth - yea - that's a big donation, but in return for the business - I'm good with it!

Steve

Skip Weiser
04-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Lisa,

How about a laser engraved wooden wall clock or a wooden desk set that you could engrave?

Search Google images for laser engraved clock (http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=laser+engraved+clock&btnG=Search+Images). It might give you some ideas.

Just a thought.

Skip

Dan Hintz
04-07-2008, 8:07 AM
Maybe combine the wall clock idea with a background of the old library. Maybe a matching set, one with the old library, one with the new.

Lisa Walter
04-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Maybe combine the wall clock idea with a background of the old library. Maybe a matching set, one with the old library, one with the new.

The new library isn't built yet. That would be a good idea for next year's fund raiser if it's done by then :) Thanks for your help!

Lisa

Lisa Walter
04-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Lisa,

How about a laser engraved wooden wall clock or a wooden desk set that you could engrave?

Search Google images for laser engraved clock (http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=laser+engraved+clock&btnG=Search+Images). It might give you some ideas.

Just a thought.

Skip

Thank you I will try that.

Lisa

Lisa Walter
04-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Lisa,

I've got several business card sized (romark - flexibrass) 20% off cards for any single purchase. I use them with church auctions, library donations and many other fund raisers that I get tapped for on a weekly basis. I numbered them and I keep track. Before we started writing them down, we had one group that came in once a month (different person). But since we've kept track, they haven't come back as often. It was more of a visual that we are keeping track and not just giving out freebies..

Honestly, only about 20% have come back - but even when they come back, it's in the order of a purchase. And one group (local VFW) specifically requests the card now when they come in - they use it to purchase thank-you for others in the community. Usually several hundred dollars worth - yea - that's a big donation, but in return for the business - I'm good with it!

Steve

Do you think people would bid on a 20% off card? I thought about doing something like that, or a gift certificate but I was worried if people don't know what a laser is, what would make them want to bid on a gift certificate for something laser engraved? Know what I mean? So I thought about taking up a piece of marble I have done to set by the gift certificate but then I'd have to make a sign saying it was for display purposes only because sure as heck someone would think they were bidding on the piece of marble that is there.......

Thanks for the idea :)

Lisa

Angus Hines
04-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Also, don't forget to offer to make the cornerstone for the new library too.:D

Dee Gallo
04-07-2008, 10:35 AM
How about offering a memorial plaque - in other words, the people bid on a chance to have their money donated to the library, in memory of a loved one or family or whoever, acknowledged by a laser engraved plaque made by you displayed in the new library? With a small nod to you for making it?

I live in a small rural area too and this is a popular thing to do - people like to see their names hanging in public places.

cheers, dee

Lisa Walter
04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
How about offering a memorial plaque - in other words, the people bid on a chance to have their money donated to the library, in memory of a loved one or family or whoever, acknowledged by a laser engraved plaque made by you displayed in the new library? With a small nod to you for making it?

I live in a small rural area too and this is a popular thing to do - people like to see their names hanging in public places.

cheers, dee

That's a pretty good idea. I'd have to talk it over with the library of course.....thanks!

Lisa Walter
04-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Also, don't forget to offer to make the cornerstone for the new library too.:D

Can we laser cement? Sorry if that sounds dumb I just haven't tried it :) And if we can, how much effort would it take? For the laser that is.

Dan Hintz
04-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Even if you can't laser a particular material (you can always have the cornerstone inlaid with a granite plaque.

As for the clock with a pic of the new library, see if you can get a hold of the engineering drawing from the architectural firm who did the design. That may actually work to your advantage as I've always liked the look of an architect's rendering better than a pic of the actual building when it comes to something like this.

Belinda Barfield
04-07-2008, 1:40 PM
Dan beat me to the punch with the idea about the architectural drawings.

How about a certificate for an engraving of a family photo, or photo of their choosing. You could display an engraving of your family with the certificate. That way people would understand that the engraving is for display purposes only, and they would be able to see what the "finished product" will look like.

Steven Smith
04-07-2008, 1:50 PM
For a library? How about bookmarks? Depending of the number of items, you could make a bunch of bookmarks with the library's name / maybe an image... put your name on the back. Add a nice tassel and you'd be set. Maybe make extras for the library to give away. At least you'd be getting your name out to a large number of people...

Stephen Beckham
04-07-2008, 6:32 PM
No - the discount card is not good for auctions because "how much do you bid for a % off of what item?" It does make a good door prize.

But in the case of being consistent and giving a lot - you might want to come up with a standard gift or standard price range. If not - you'll have people giving you the "but you gave so-in-so a bigger item." I know sounds crazy that someone getting a gift would balk, but that's been my experience. It becomes an expectation and then at some point a community social program for every fundraiser in town.

Trust me - you give to one group - and everyone will add you to their "gift-givers" list. If you have a standard gift item (like my card we use) it's not a favortism thing - and everyone that asks understands when you show them a list of people that got the same thing...

Craig Hogarth
04-07-2008, 7:15 PM
These work well to raise funds. The children's ward at our local hospital was charging $500 per leaf and sold out in a couple weeks.

http://www.dricoproducts.com/RecognitionTrees/HRT80SH2606.jpg

Thad Nickoley
04-07-2008, 7:39 PM
Craig,

what did they put on them? New births?

Craig Hogarth
04-07-2008, 7:42 PM
Craig,

what did they put on them? New births?

whatever they wanted. It was just a fund raiser using a 60 leaf tree, with each leaf selling for $500. The majority are just plain names, but there's some that had "In memory of" "for my wife".

Some people have entirely too much money :D

Thad Nickoley
04-07-2008, 7:48 PM
The to much money thing does not apply to me thats for sure!!

Where did you find the tree?

Lisa Walter
04-07-2008, 9:37 PM
For a library? How about bookmarks? Depending of the number of items, you could make a bunch of bookmarks with the library's name / maybe an image... put your name on the back. Add a nice tassel and you'd be set. Maybe make extras for the library to give away. At least you'd be getting your name out to a large number of people...

You know that is a good idea! I could make them a few to give away as door prizes......and make sure my business name is on the back. Do you think I should put "donated by" or just leave the business name and number?

Lisa Walter
04-07-2008, 9:37 PM
Dan beat me to the punch with the idea about the architectural drawings.

How about a certificate for an engraving of a family photo, or photo of their choosing. You could display an engraving of your family with the certificate. That way people would understand that the engraving is for display purposes only, and they would be able to see what the "finished product" will look like.

Thanks Belinda!

Craig Hogarth
04-08-2008, 2:40 AM
The to much money thing does not apply to me thats for sure!!

Where did you find the tree?

http://www.dricoproducts.com/

best in the business ;)

Steven Smith
04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
You know that is a good idea! I could make them a few to give away as door prizes......and make sure my business name is on the back. Do you think I should put "donated by" or just leave the business name and number?
I would use 'donated by'...:)

Sandra Force
04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Lisa, I would consider reverse engraving a mirror with a local scene. I think that your laser is large enough to do a good sized wall mirror and 30w is pleanty of power. If I were going to do it I would engrave the scene across the bottom of the mirror and put the larger portions in the corners. :)

Nicole Hernandez
04-08-2008, 2:12 PM
I just made and donated a bunch of wooden bookmarks for our library. They were soooo excited. They are keeping a set for a silent auction and the rest they are going to sell outright during a book sale that is coming up. I made them from woodthins from Colorado heirloom.

Lisa Walter
04-10-2008, 3:02 PM
I just made and donated a bunch of wooden bookmarks for our library. They were soooo excited. They are keeping a set for a silent auction and the rest they are going to sell outright during a book sale that is coming up. I made them from woodthins from Colorado heirloom.

Thanks Nicole! I don't have any wood thin enough here to use as bookmarks so I went to the craft store (no time to order wood) and they had sheets of birch (12x20) for over $17. YOWZA! I thought that was kind of expensive even though it would make quite a few bookmarks I didn't want to spend that. So then I looked for precut bookmarks and didn't see any. I picked up some bookmarks made of cardstock and I am going to play with those and see what I can do. I wound up getting an old picture postcard of the library and putting that on a piece of granite. The granite costs me about $6 so that was better than spending $17. I want to make a handful of bookmarks for them to give away as door prizes and that's a good way to get my name out there without spending more on advertising.

Lisa

Lisa Walter
04-10-2008, 3:10 PM
I decided to go with a lasered piece of granite. The granite I get costs me about $6 at home depot and I have a case of it sitting here at the shop. I went to the historical society and asked them for an old photo of the library (the Hist. Soc. is part of the library). They scanned two in for me that I brought home. I put a nice border on the granite and the library photo and some text underneath. I am actually getting pretty good at doing marble and granite now so it didn't take me long to do (thanks Frank Corker for all of your help and tips and training). I had it set up and ready to burn in about 30 minutes. I couldn't decide on a border so that took some time......still not sure I like the border but sometimes I struggle with dumb things like that. It burned pretty nice. Later I have to rub it in with some paint and then I will take a photo to share. :)

I also decided to make a handful of bookmarks for them to hand out as door prizes. I was going to use wood but I don't have anything here that is that thin and there is no time to order it in. I stopped by the craft store and they wanted over $17 for a 12x20 sheet of birch. I looked around for precut wood bookmarks but didn't see any so I bought bookmarks out of card stock. I helped my daughter with her science project and we cut cards tock with the laser and I was impressed with it, so I won't be going into it blind (maybe just one eye shut haha). I figured that's a good way to get my name out there.....people will use a book marker for years!

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Lisa

Lisa Walter
04-10-2008, 9:42 PM
Here are pictures of what I decided to donate.

:)

AL Ursich
04-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Sorry Lisa,

I have been pre occupied with ME ME ME..... and Taxes and have not been looking around at the other postings.... That new Graphtec FC7000 sure has me excited.... More when it gets here.

I love the Granite, it came out GREAT..... I have the same case of Granite sitting under my Engraver too.... My partially Blind Engraver.... Still have not replaced the mirror yet.....

Got some leather Key Fobs from Tandy Leather for a request from a customer. That would be another idea for a fund raiser.

Another Leather Dealer would not let me start a wholesale account with them... They want me to pay some Mom and Pop shop a mark up to get the product.... Bummer.... Need to revisit that topic with them.

I too "donated" a Quilt Rack to a group last spring but my Tax Lady said that "Donation" from a single owner business is not allowed or some words to that effect..... SO.... I gave a Quilt Rack to the Quilt Group as a Advertisement of my business and capabilities.... Never got an order....

The book Marks look good too and should be a big hit.

Winning a Custom Name Book Mark sent with a 41 cent stamp later would be a bigger hit... Put a name on it and they keep it for life....

Still need to laser a few of the business cards too.

Good Job Lisa !!!!

AL

Leigh Costello
04-13-2008, 3:08 PM
Lisa,
Kudos to you! What a great piece of granite work. The bookmarks are ideal.
I would suggest Contacting Mike Kowalski for your future baltic birch needs, he is much more reasonable than $17 per piece.
Also, Chewbarka.com has bookmarks that are anodized aluminum and engrave beautifully. For Chewbarka, I would search ebay for his store or call him (Frank Ricci, Frank Ricci Tool Company).

Jim Griffith
04-13-2008, 3:29 PM
Does anyone know where to source the leafs (sp?) alone? A church here has some but needs some more done, and I would like to price the project for them. Assuming they are either laserable, or could me be marked with cermark/thermark. The ones they have now are shaped a bit a bit different, but am open to all ideas.

Lisa Walter
04-13-2008, 9:25 PM
Lisa,
Kudos to you! What a great piece of granite work. The bookmarks are ideal.
I would suggest Contacting Mike Kowalski for your future baltic birch needs, he is much more reasonable than $17 per piece.
Also, Chewbarka.com has bookmarks that are anodized aluminum and engrave beautifully. For Chewbarka, I would search ebay for his store or call him (Frank Ricci, Frank Ricci Tool Company).

Thank you for the kudos and the great bookmark idea and link! I will definately check it out.

Lisa Walter
04-13-2008, 9:27 PM
Hi Al! Thanks for the ideas. You always have great ones!