PDA

View Full Version : Tower Jaws vs Shark Jaws

Burt Alcantara
04-06-2008, 9:06 PM
I'm beginning to make larger and larger hollow forms. Today, I mounted a log that just barely cleared the ways. I've got a Talon with #2 jaws mounted on my Nova 1624-44. The last few vessels were wobbling quite a bit and I could never rechuck them correctly.

I tried putting maximum length tenons on the chuck but that didn't do much. I'm wondering if moving up to either a Stronghold with tower jaws or a Vicmarc 120 with Shark jaws will help.

This would be a lot cheaper then moving up to a XXXX or YYYY or ZZZZ lathe.

Burt

Reed Gray
04-06-2008, 9:17 PM
A steady rest would probably help more.
robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2008, 10:42 PM
I have the Vicmarc VM100 with the shark jaws. One thing I do the get it back the same place is mark the HF and one of the jaws. That way if it comes out or I take it out I can put it back the same place. I generally mark the HF with a line to the middle of the #1 jaws.

I do agree with Reed though that a steady rest would probably be more help than getting a new chuck.

Burt Alcantara
04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I was hoping a big chuck with big jaws would be the fast & easy way out.

Oh well...
Burt

robert baccus
04-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Have you tried a large dia. glue block? with thick CA glue. mount the g. block to a large dia. face plate and you will have no trouble. occasionaly on a very heavy vase blank i will, after gluing ect., screw through the glue block and face plate into the blank 3/4" or so. i also use the blue epoxy coated concrete bolt head screws. they will not break at the wrong moment. just my exp.----------ol forester

Burt Alcantara
04-07-2008, 8:32 AM
Robert,
Does this technique eliminate wobble?