PDA

View Full Version : Creekers in Fine Woodworking...(June 2008 issue)

Jim Becker
04-06-2008, 8:44 PM
Well, our very own Dave Anderson's Chester Tool Works got a place in the marking tool article in the June 2008 issue of Fine Woodworking. (page 48) And Creeker Joel Moskowitz from ToolsForWorkingWood.com has a great article on grinding without burning. (page 62) Congrats, folks!

While I'm on the topic of this issue, check out the article on page 78 regarding a 90 piece reproduction commission that Irion Company worked on for many years...and most of the work is Neander, not to mention incredible.

Joe Cunningham
04-07-2008, 8:46 AM
I saw the marking tool article but had not read it closely yet--too busy looking at the commissioned pieces. :eek:

Duncan Potter
04-07-2008, 8:48 AM
I can't even imagine the work and art that went into even one of those pieces. Amazing.

I wonder who the customer is?

Greg Cole
04-07-2008, 9:00 AM
2400 or so hours on that piece on the back of the magazine is mind boggling to me. Thats a full year all day every day on the job.... and then a little OT.
Irion sounds like a place to spend a few hours learning by osmosis....

Greg

James Mittlefehldt
04-07-2008, 9:33 AM
I read the whole article on line have not got my issue yet. They said that each craftsman once he started a piece he finished it, and they have had three guys working full time on the commision for nine years. The ihterior of the house is good to.

Imagine $5000 for one chair and he took eighteen of them.

Greg Cole
04-07-2008, 9:52 AM
Imagine $5000 for one chair and he took eighteen of them.

More like "dreamers need not apply"..... or the good old "if you have to ask...".
Some seriously nice work indeed. I truly like the fact that the guys take the project from start to finish, design to finish application. Very impressive skill sets.

Greg

Jim Becker
04-07-2008, 10:43 AM
II wonder who the customer is?

"John"... :D

Henk Marais
04-07-2008, 12:28 PM
We here in South africa have patiently been waiting for the march issue. Aparantly some shipping issue. Now it would seem we are 4 isues behind!:eek:

Jim Koepke
04-07-2008, 1:19 PM
We here in South africa have patiently been waiting for the march issue. Aparantly some shipping issue. Now it would seem we are 4 isues behind!:eek:

It is bi-monthly if memory is working. Mine has not arrived either. I wish they still wrapped it. Sometimes now they arrive pretty beat up. Maybe from all the mail carriers reading it at lunch?

jim

Peter Quadarella
04-07-2008, 1:46 PM
It's actually 7 issues per year according to what they said when I signed up a few months back.

The pieces in that article were awesome. I also think it's great that some creekers are in the issue :)

Dave Anderson NH
04-07-2008, 7:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words Jim. Believe it or not, I submitted the sample knife (Redheart) to FWW back last August. It gives you a bit of an idea what the leads times are between commissioning a tool test and the published results.

I thought Joel's article was one of the best written and clearest articles on sharpening I've ever seen. He has some great nuggets of information for folks and it's presented simply without fluff. To me that's the mark of a good writer.

Jim Dunn
04-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Dave, congrats on the write up. I too like the design of your knives. Just have to get a round to ordering :oor making one myself:eek:.

Will Blick
04-09-2008, 4:00 PM
I sure was glad they posted the man hours that went into these projects, makes me feel better :)

IIRC, the piece on the back of the magazine was 6500 man hours? Sheeeeesh.... It must be special to work a piece like that from start to finish...and have the budget not to rush the work... what a great article...