PDA

View Full Version : 4th Hollowed Form

BILL DONAHUE
04-06-2008, 8:29 PM
This one was started at the Campbell School last month and finished on my Jet-Mini (still don't have the 220 line in for the PM3520). After woodturning from 9 to 9 each day at Campbell, had to put it on the backburner for a few weeks in favor of my job in the ever changing stock market. It was done from freshly cut maple, is 9 1/4" high x 7 1/2" and has a Brazilian cherry collar. Had a difficult time getting it to turn true on the Jet when I returned to it. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Decided to use high gloss poly, which I usually don't like, just to keep it as light and as close to the true color as possible. Usually use Danish oil and am wondering if anyone could recommend another finish to keep the color neutral. Again, I apologize for the bad pictures.

Jim Becker
04-06-2008, 8:38 PM
Excellent form design and a wonderful piece.

On your finishing question, if you want to impart almost zero color shift, than you'll likely need to use a water borne product (best sprayed, IMHO) or lacquer (sprayed or brushed). "Super blond" shellac is another option but it will still have a slight amber hue. If the "poly" you used was oil based, it's definitely going to give you a color shift due to the oil. (not to mention be tougher to rub out due to poly's abrasion resistance properties since it was designed primarily to be a floor finish) Oil based finishes based on soya oil will give you the lightest color change, similar to blond and super blond shellac.

Dennis Peacock
04-06-2008, 8:52 PM
Looks really nice Bill. Doing very well sir. :cool:

Burt Alcantara
04-06-2008, 8:54 PM
Jim,
What water based finishing products are there? I have an unopened can of clear lacquer that says do not spray. Which brand are you referring to? I would prefer to spray because I always get bubbles, hair and bumps when I brush or rag.

Thanks,
Burt

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Bill - I would have to say that the school was definately worth your time! That is one beautiful form! Great subtle use of color! If this is #4 - I am looking forward to #5! Very impressive work! Thanks for posting!

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Bill that is a beauty. Well done. I use Deft rattle can lacquer. It does a good job and drys quickly. It will not change the color of the wood especially light woods.

Richard Madison
04-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Burt,
Ditto can of brushing lacquer. Plan to try slopping on about 3 coats, sand level as needed, and spray can a couple or three finish coats. Those spray cans get expensive if you are trying to "build" some depth.

Bill Wyko
04-07-2008, 1:04 AM
Hi Bill, welcome to SMC. You might as well pay the dues and become a contributor. I think you'll be around a while. Thats an incredible piece. We will be looking forward to your future pieces.

Tom Sherman
04-07-2008, 9:10 AM
A very nice HF Bill, nice shape and great wood.

Glenn Hodges
04-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Brings back memories of a week at JC. Who was your teacher? You did a fine job on this one, thanks for letting me see it.

Skip Spaulding
04-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Unlike the market, your piece looks very stable. Bet it will be enjoyed for years to come! Very nice!

Neal Addy
04-07-2008, 2:04 PM
This is only your fourth HF? Thats an outstanding piece in several regards. You have a good eye for form.

That curve down the outer wall to a delicate foot is a thing of beauty. The small foot adds the perfect touch of elegance.

I can't help but wonder what it would look like without the cherry collar, but then I'm not a big fan of flared collars or spouts. And your form is good enough to stand alone.

BILL DONAHUE
04-07-2008, 10:44 PM
The instructor at Campbell was Doug Barnes, the director of the woodturning school. How do I become a contributor?