PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood is this?

Frank Campbell
04-06-2008, 8:04 PM
I got this piece of wood from my wood supplier. He deals only in local figured hardwoods and he found this board stuck in a stack of curly maple he purchased from a lumber distributor in Vermont. He asked me if I wanted it and I bought it for $6.00/bf. It's 4" wide X 14' long X 7/8" thick.......Here are a couple of pictures of this wood (can it be Pomelle Bubinga?) I took a picture of a piece of plain Bubinga to show the difference......let me know what you guys think?

Frank in NH

David DeCristoforo
04-06-2008, 8:28 PM
Sure looks like bubinga. Not local, that's for sure unless you are in South America!

Y?M?D?D?

Craig D Peltier
04-06-2008, 8:43 PM
Bubinga or Jatoba is my guess.

Phillip downs
04-06-2008, 9:12 PM
We had some very similar 30 years ago in my dads shop, came from a semi trailer builder, the used it for the beds. Very hard. I made some furniture from it and it extruded oil / resin from the end grain for years.

Larry Alles
04-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Looks like ipe to me. I made a glider from that wood and it was very hard. the sawdust was yellow looking.

Dave MacArthur
04-06-2008, 10:07 PM
ahh I just love these "what kind of wood?" threads! When I see one, I actually say "Yess!". Of course, I never have any idea what the wood is (ok once or twice), but as the thread progresses I am always impressed with the sheer conviction of folks as they roundly declare, "That, my good sir, is obviously sapelle from just north of Rangoon!", only to be met with equally strong declarations of localized patois "Monkeywood!" and "Red Liver wood!". All usually based on a hazy snapshot discolored by a flash... like singing one note and asking "What song was that?!?" heh. And of course, if you can reference an old project you made with wood EXACTLY like that once, particularly if it is a distracting and noble project (like a glider, or better a glider made from the floor of a delivery truck that you then rescued a damsel in and flew to safety from where she was being held hostage near Rangoon!), then there is a scent of realism and truth that just smells so good we want to swallow it all whole!

So, to get my say in and because I just came from looking at these massive slabs of curly curtain waterfall whatever bubinga at the Rockler site, I'll go with:
Absolutely Curly Bubinga, no question!

Cody Colston
04-06-2008, 10:21 PM
ahh I just love these "what kind of wood?" threads! When I see one, I actually say "Yess!". Of course, I never have any idea what the wood is (ok once or twice), but as the thread progresses I am always impressed with the sheer conviction of folks as they roundly declare, "That, my good sir, is obviously sapelle from just north of Rangoon!", only to be met with equally strong declarations of localized patois "Monkeywood!" and "Red Liver wood!". All usually based on a hazy snapshot discolored by a flash... like singing one note and asking "What song was that?!?" heh. And of course, if you can reference an old project you made with wood EXACTLY like that once, particularly if it is a distracting and noble project (like a glider, or better a glider made from the floor of a delivery truck that you then rescued a damsel in and flew to safety from where she was being held hostage near Rangoon!), then there is a scent of realism and truth that just smells so good we want to swallow it all whole!

So, to get my say in and because I just came from looking at these massive slabs of curly curtain waterfall whatever bubinga at the Rockler site, I'll go with:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wade Lippman
04-06-2008, 10:30 PM

I bought some 100bf of "mahogany" for $100. I then took a piece into the two local imported lumber yards and asked what it was. They both said it was an imported hardwood of unknowable origin. They would throw it in the mahogany bin and hope for the best.

But the photo is bubinga for sure; nothing else looks like that.

David DeCristoforo
04-06-2008, 10:37 PM
" I never have any idea what the wood is (ok once or twice), but as the thread progresses I am always impressed with the sheer conviction of folks as they roundly declare, "That, my good sir, is obviously sapelle from just north of Rangoon!", only to be met with equally strong declarations of localized patois "Monkeywood!" and "Red Liver wood!"..."

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

DM

Christof Grohs
04-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Great find! No question it's Pomelle Bubinga, I've been vacuum pressing it for the past week and a half.

Craig Thompson
04-06-2008, 10:51 PM
My guess is bubinga... but I don't want to make Yoshi mad.......:D:D:D