PDA

View Full Version : Convert 4 in to 6 in Dust Port on PM 66 Saw

Boyd Gathwright
03-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Hello All,

Today was a very nice and warm day, quite unexpected and I had no idea I was going to be installing this Six inch port today but it’s done. Most of the included pics are self-explanatory and if there is a question you can always shoot me a line. The new six-inch port is made from PVC 2729 pipe, the same stuff that the DC is made of. There is one included pic that shows a small flange on one end. This flange was cut from the BELL type connector on the end of each ten-foot section of PVC 2729 pipe. Most of the BELL portion was removed leaving only the flange and approximately three and a half inches (3 ½”) of pipe, which is installed from the inside of the saw cabinet to the outside of the saw were a forty five degree (45) elbow was installed on it, you’ll see the pics. Other than that, I used Two hex number eight (8) sheet metal screws that I ground down the self tapping portion leaving approximately one sixteenth sticking out of the pipe on the inside. You want to grind down the screws, tapering the ends, and wire brush the ends after you finish grinding making them smooth. One other note, after you cut the hole in the cabinet make sure you remove ALL burrs and rough surfaces, polish it smooth, this allows the elbow to rotate smoothly. That’s about it, hope you like the tour and enjoy.

Boyd :)

Boyd Gathwright
03-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Section -B-

Hello All, Today was a very nice and warm day, quite unexpected and I had no idea I was going to be installing this Six inch port today but it’s done. Most of the included pics are self-explanatory and if there is a question you can always shoot me a line. The new six-inch port is made from PVC 2729 pipe, the same stuff that the DC is made of. There is one included pic that shows a small flange on one end. This flange was cut from the BELL type connector on the end of each ten-foot section of PVC 2729 pipe. Most of the BELL portion was removed leaving only the flange and approximately three and a half inches (3 ½”) of pipe, which is installed from the inside of the saw cabinet to the outside of the saw were a forty five degree (45) elbow was installed on it, you’ll see the pics. Other than that, I used Two hex number eight (8) sheet metal screws that I ground down the self tapping portion leaving approximately one sixteenth sticking out of the pipe on the inside. You want to grind down the screws, tapering the ends, and wire brush the ends after you finish grinding making them smooth. One other note, after you cut the hole in the cabinet make sure you remove ALL burrs and rough surfaces, polish it smooth, this allows the elbow to rotate smoothly. That’s about it, hope you like the tour and enjoy.Boyd :)

Boyd Gathwright
03-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Section -C-

Section -B-

Boyd Gathwright
03-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Section -D-
Section -C-

Boyd Gathwright
03-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Section -E-

Section -D-

Terry Hatfield
03-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Boyd,

Excellent work!!!!! The port looks factory.

t

Joe Bourbois
03-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Boyd, great work and nicely done on showing all the details.

Todd Burch
03-27-2004, 12:00 AM
Boyd, very good photo-documentary. I have a PM66, with the factory 4" port. My Oneida 1.5HP dust collector is undersized for my shop, so the collection has never been very good anyways. I have a 5.5HP collector on order - should be here within 3 weeks or so.

Do you think with that big of a collector, would it still be a good idea to enlarge my port? Thanks, Todd

Boyd Gathwright
03-27-2004, 12:16 AM
One word Todd, YES.

Cheers

Boyd

Boyd, very good photo-documentary. I have a PM66, with the factory 4" port. My Oneida 1.5HP dust collector is undersized for my shop, so the collection has never been very good anyways. I have a 5.5HP collector on order - should be here within 3 weeks or so.

Do you think with that big of a collector, would it still be a good idea to enlarge my port? Thanks, Todd

Tyler Howell
03-27-2004, 1:26 AM
Boyd, With your Super Highway of a duct system is the Jet going to do the job or is it time for one of those upside down silos the big dogs are using around here??

Boyd Gathwright
03-27-2004, 1:42 AM
I think, Tyler, for the time being I have plenty of power. I am more concerned about filtration, like half a micron instead of two.

Have Fun stay cool :D

Boyd :cool:

Boyd, With your Super Highway of a duct system is the Jet going to do the job or is it time for one of those upside down silos the big dogs ar using around here??

Frank Pellow
03-27-2004, 4:41 AM
Nice Job and a great "how to do it" set of pictures. I have saved them assuming that I may need to do something similar some day.

Gripe: I wish that the makers of equipment like cabinet table saws would wake up and provide a 6" port option.

Steven Wilson
03-27-2004, 7:25 PM
Todd, putting a larger port into the bottom portion of the cabinet may not improve the dust collection of the cabinet saw as much as you want. If you greatly want to improve the collection, remove the top, and then fabricat a DC shroud around the trunnion, taking care not to interfere with the belts, blade, or adjusting mechanisms. With a larger port your still likely to have a fair amount of chips settle on the bottom of the saw that will still need to be cleaned out.

As for ports, the PVC install was nice but if I were to go through all of the trouble I would install a metal sleeve from Oneida, a 6" one costs $16.

Todd Burch
03-27-2004, 7:27 PM
Good idea Steve!