PDA

View Full Version : HF #18, Large Birch

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2008, 5:53 PM
This is the biggest hollow form I have turned to date and it was interesting! I roughed this form back in September ’07 but because I was very new at hollow forms I did not take the time to rough it out correctly – meaning I left it thicker in some places than others. Even with the DNA soak – that translates into cracks! So, turning this became very interesting because the thinner it got the more pronounced the click-click-click became as I hit the various cracks. It was a little nerve racking for me as I really didn’t know if this form was going to make it off the lathe in one piece or not. It did.

Hollow form #18, birch (not spalted for a change), 12” diameter x 6 ¼” high. Cracks were filled with thin CA and birch powder from hollowing (that’s how you know it’s time to sharpen the cutter!!) Sanded to 400 and it has 5 thinned coats of Minwax wipe-on poly there were applied and then immediately wiped off. I'll wait for about a week for the poly to cure and then buff just to add the super slick feel of the wax.

85936 85937 85938

As always – your comments and critiques are encouraged and appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Ben Gastfriend
04-06-2008, 6:05 PM
Wow, Steve! Let me be the first to congratulate you on that great HF! It looks great, I love the wood, and the form. You never dissapoint, and you managed to save what would have been a bunch cracked of pieces of wood all over the shop for most of us! Your photography is top notch, as well, as usual.

Fred Conte
04-06-2008, 6:10 PM
As always Steve your work is beautiful! I really like the birch, the grain jumps out at ya!

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2008, 6:12 PM
Another beautiful piece Steve. I like this one I guess because there is no spalting. Just a nice simple form and great finish. Well done.

Bob Hallowell
04-06-2008, 6:29 PM
Steve were going to have to change your name to Travis! Great job.

Bob

Dennis Peacock
04-06-2008, 8:50 PM
Very pretty and very well done Steve..!!!!! :cool:

Nathan Hawkes
04-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, I have to say that I'm very jealous, Steve. You've really got the hollow form down. I really like this piece, almost more than some of the spalted pieces you've done. The warm honey color of the wood really lends itself to the smooth lines, and the little birdseye spots and swirls in the grain are just enough zing to make it a really eyecatching piece. I like the wide mouth as well. It seems like a lot of turners just make as small an opening as they can just for the challenge or something, despite what the form ends up looking like. I like the wide one here. I think it would look blocky without a wide mouth. A+

Curt Fuller
04-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Another beauty Steve! You sure have a nice touch with the finish on your work. They'd be nice to hold.

Richard Madison
04-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Beautiful indeed, Steve. Would still like to see a picture of your photo setup. Please?

mike fuson
04-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Very nice Steve, the form is spot on, I especially like the bottom. The rim fits the form perfect.

Tim Thomas
04-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Dang it! If you guys don't stop posting pictures of all these beautiful turnings I'm going to have to buy a lathe. And then my wife will murder me because I am supposed to be making kitchen cabinets. :eek: Can you turn a cabinet on a 3520B?

Seriously though, I love looking at the photos of the great turning projects in here. There is obviously a lot of turning talent here at the creek. One of these days maybe I'll actually get a chance to turn something. In fact I just joined a woodworking guild and they have several lathes that I can use, so I may get a chance to try this "vortex" thing out without having to spend a lot of dough...

Randy Hoch
04-06-2008, 11:34 PM
This is beautiful. And thanks for sharing the details re: its creation. Your posts are very helpful for neophytes like myself.
Randy Hoch

Gary Herrmann
04-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Very nice form Steve. I'm gonna try my hand at hollow forms sometime soon. You give me something to shoot for.

Tom Sherman
04-07-2008, 12:27 AM
As usual I like this piece of yours Steve. The form flows well and the wood is great.

Bill Wyko
04-07-2008, 1:00 AM
Wow, tonight has been a whirlwind of beautiful work and yours is no exception. You work is always top notch as seen here. You've really got some skills Steve.

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments! They are seriously appreciated!

Bob - change my name to Travis... now that's funny right there! LOL Course, Travis probably wouldn't think so!

Richard - maybe you should start a thread asking everyone to post what they do for photo setups. Mine is very simple - a photo cube and 2 clamp-on reflectors using daylight florescent bulbs - all of which sits on the outfeed of my tablesaw.

Tim - have to warn you about turning - it becomes very addictive very fast! As far as cabinets, my wife has been after me to build a couple of hanging cabinets for the kitchen for 2 years! Yup, pretty soon I'll jump right on that...

michael gallagher
04-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Steve-

You've become quiet the expert on this, it looks real good....I still have your printout of "how to do it." One day, I'll be brave enough to try.

Skip Spaulding
04-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Good save, it looks great. A hollow form that size produces a lot of mulch!

Steve Campbell
04-07-2008, 6:14 PM
Steve;
As always your work is stunning. I think I like this Birch even better than some of the spalted ones. I have been turning birch a bit lately and love it. I have been trying my hand at dye finishes some, But not very good at it yet.
Thanks for you inspiration.

Steve

robert hainstock
04-07-2008, 7:29 PM
Been busy all week trying to get the surgeon and other docs to agree on what I need before surgery.
This is one of your better Pots. I.m loving what that laser lets you do. I can see its value on open ended turnings. I've been struggling for two weeks getting two bowls even to the bottom. Great piece of turning. :D:D:D
Bob

Ron Erickson
04-07-2008, 7:33 PM
Really like this one great shape.

Richard Madison
04-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks Steve. No need for a new thread.

Tony De Masi
04-08-2008, 8:18 AM
The HollowMaster strikes again. Wonderful work on this one Steve.

Tony

David Newson
04-08-2008, 9:04 AM
Steve, That's a real nice piece turning and the wood is good to.

But I wouldn't leave your wife's cabinets much longer otherwise all you'll be showing us soon how you built a doghouse to live in !

David

__________________________________________________ ____
Nothing ventured nothing gained