PDA

View Full Version : Steady Rest Options

Burt Alcantara
04-06-2008, 5:20 PM
Last few hollow forms were wobbling all over the place. I guess it's time for a steady rest. Clark has a nice one but at $350...arggggh.

Are there any affordable ready-made ones at reasonable prices...like, under $150 or so?

Thanks,
Burt

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2008, 6:18 PM
Burt there are plenty of plans and they are easy to make. I made two of them. One for the Rikon and one for the Nova. Took maybe 4 hrs after get stuff together. I used 3/4" birch plywood that I had around.

john l graham
04-06-2008, 7:17 PM
Several I've seen use old roller blade wheels. I'm looking for some skates now!

Bob Opsitos
04-06-2008, 7:41 PM
I've been working on one for most of today. Close to done. Should look something like this. Pretty easy and painless. Largest expense was the wheels. Like $34 for 8 wheels. Couldn't find them in any smaller quantities. Only needed 3. Using birch ply mostly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/Tools/steady.jpg

Bob

Raymond Overman
04-06-2008, 8:21 PM
Target has roller blades with wheels for $13.99 (I got mine on sale for $9) with 8 wheels. I'm building two four arm steady rests out of MDF with Hard maple arms. One for me, One for Papa.

Dennis Peacock
04-06-2008, 8:48 PM
If you have a lathe that is 12" swing or smaller....PM me. I may have something you could be interested in. :D

Burt Alcantara
04-06-2008, 8:51 PM
Anyone want to share plans or at least photos?

Thanks,
Burt

Jim Underwood
04-06-2008, 10:30 PM
There are several plans over at Woodturning Online.

If you do a Google search others will turn up too.

Bob Opsitos
04-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Ray, Target was one place I didn't check. After Wal-mart didn't have anything I resigned myself to getting them from Dick's sporting goods.

Anyone want to share plans or at least photos?

Burt if you've got any sort of 3d software I can spit the design out into a readable format and email it. If you don't have anything currently you could always download eDrawings. I designed this for a 14" swing delta lathe.

Let me know
thanks
Bob

Keith Burns
04-07-2008, 10:27 AM
What I ended up with is two Oneway Bowl Steadies. Put one on each side for HF's. Leaves the top unobstructed if you use a laser. You can us only one if you are turning a bowl. You can use it on the back side of a platter as well. Well made and solid. Around $200

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Burt - you can make one very easily out of T-track, scrap wood and roller blade wheels. I don't have any dimensions but a photo of the steady rest I built is located in my hollow form tutorial on the Articles & Tutorials forum. If it is something that you are interested in building your own version of - let me know and I will get the measurements/angles or you.

Steve Campbell
04-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Burt. Here are a couple pictures of the one I made for my "Little General" Hope they help you see how it's done.

Steve

Burt Alcantara
04-07-2008, 1:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and encouragement. I'll give it a shot and see what comes out. I'm going to try to make it laser friendly.

Burt

Mike Peace
04-07-2008, 8:52 PM
I just went to a Thrift store and bought a used set of rollet blades with 4 wheels on each shoe that appeared to be in pretty decent shape. Cost was $5 which netted me 8 wheels.

Derrell Clark
04-07-2008, 9:51 PM
Burt, here is a picture of a steady rest I made out of Baltic Birch. It will handle pieces up to 14". It's very strong and works well.