PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 4000-09 and dado cutting

Michael Wildt
04-06-2008, 5:12 PM
Hi,

I'm in need of some guidance on using dado blades, from a safety perspective. I have a Bosch contractor saw 4000-09 and according to the specifications a max capacity of dado is 13/16".

I just got a Freud SD508 dado set and when I put on blades to make a 3/4" dado there is no room for both the washer and nut. The arbor assembly is:

washer
blade
washer
nut

In the 3/4" 'test' I left the inner most washer on and then put the blades on and then nut. Haven't turned 'on' yet ;-)

I'm guessing that to get up to the 13/16" capacity one would have to remove both washer, but I'm uncertain if there would be a safety issue by not having the washers on.

When I get the washer thing confirmed I want to cut the 3/4" dado in the middle of a BB ply. Not sure if I should keep the fence in place nor not ?

Appreciate guidance from the more experienced wood workers.

Michael
(Newbie to dado's)

Daniel Berlin
04-06-2008, 6:58 PM
Hi,

I'm in need of some guidance on using dado blades, from a safety perspective. I have a Bosch contractor saw 4000-09 and according to the specifications a max capacity of dado is 13/16".

I just got a Freud SD508 dado set and when I put on blades to make a 3/4" dado there is no room for both the washer and nut. The arbor assembly is:

washer
blade
washer
nut

In the 3/4" 'test' I left the inner most washer on and then put the blades on and then nut. Haven't turned 'on' yet ;-)

I'm guessing that to get up to the 13/16" capacity one would have to remove both washer, but I'm uncertain if there would be a safety issue by not having the washers on.

When I get the washer thing confirmed I want to cut the 3/4" dado in the middle of a BB ply. Not sure if I should keep the fence in place nor not ?

Appreciate guidance from the more experienced wood workers.

Michael
(Newbie to dado's)

For the 4000, the procedure is as follows (as per bosch customer service)
"
Thank you for writing Bosch Power Tools. When mounting dado blades on
the Bosch 4000 table saw, follow this procedure which was omitted from
the owners manual. This saw will handle up to a 13/16" wide dado blade.
Remove both blade washers from the arbor shaft. Install & use the Outer
washer as the Inner washer, than[sic] mount your dado blade set, than[sic]
install the lock nut. An outer washer is not needed for a dado set. This
procedure will provide proper spacing of your dado blade set. Changing
blades can be a bit tight, but if you insure the blade is elevated to it's
maximum height you shouldn't have any problem. The reason for this is
because the dust containment shroud is rather close to the blade to
contain saw dust from blowing all over the place. If you have any further
questions, please write back.
"

Ray Knight
04-06-2008, 7:15 PM
Not to highjack your chat, but what is the difference in the Bosch 4000-09 and the 4100-09. The boxes and web descriptions seem to say the 4100-09 has digital read on fence. But looks like it is mechanically and power wise and stand wise the same saw is this correct? Ray Knight

John Newell
04-06-2008, 7:16 PM
I arrived at that solution w/o input from Bosch. Works great.

Question: is the info you received from Bosch published somewhere, or was it in some kind of one-off / personal communication you received from Bosch?

Phil Thien
04-06-2008, 7:24 PM
Not to highjack your chat, but what is the difference in the Bosch 4000-09 and the 4100-09. The boxes and web descriptions seem to say the 4100-09 has digital read on fence. But looks like it is mechanically and power wise and stand wise the same saw is this correct? Ray Knight

The 4100 has a few advantages: An advanced riving knife/guard system which is easy-on, easy-off. Also, the miter slots a t-slots. I believe the dust collection has been improved, as well. There may be other improvements, too.

Michael Wildt
04-06-2008, 9:07 PM
Hi Daniel,

Super info. Thank you so much. I went back to the garage and yep that method works much better than using the inner washer-blade-nut. The inner washer is quite thick and with the outside washer in it's place there is 'just' enough clearance for the blade to run. It also leaves plenty of threads for the nut.

Thanks again.
Michael

Michael O'Sullivan
04-06-2008, 9:20 PM
I had the Bosch 4000, and for wider dados, I just omitted the right washer. Honestly, I did not realize that the washers were different thicknesses. The widest I did was 3/4", and I had no issues.

I had bought the dado insert, so I basically used that to confirm that I had the dado correctly placed on the arbor.

FWIW, that Bosch is a tremendous saw -- I just sold mine, having upgraded to a Unisaw, but I had no complaints. Once the fence was adjusted properly (which took some fiddling), it was very consistent.

Daniel Berlin
04-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I arrived at that solution w/o input from Bosch. Works great.

Question: is the info you received from Bosch published somewhere, or was it in some kind of one-off / personal communication you received from Bosch?

It's "published" insofar as it appears in amazon reviews as well.
I am not the original person who posted it there, but I did email their customer service and got the exact same answer :)

Daniel Berlin
04-06-2008, 10:11 PM
The 4100 has a few advantages: An advanced riving knife/guard system which is easy-on, easy-off. Also, the miter slots a t-slots. I believe the dust collection has been improved, as well. There may be other improvements, too.

Ya.
I get almost 0 dust with a shopvac attached to my 4100 (only over the top dust, which goes away with a zci)
The 4100 has a blade shroud, etc.

Michael Wildt
04-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Intersting that the 4100 has a better dust collection. I made my own converter on the 4000 so I could hook up an older vacuum. I'm hoping a CT22 will do a better job, but I might have to install some plexi glass underneath.

Daniel any chance you could snap a few pictures of the 4100's underside so I can see how they updated it.

Michael, sure is a nice saw! I doo wish the fence distance to the blade would be larger than 25", but that's life.

Michael

John Newell
04-07-2008, 7:51 AM
I had bought the dado insert, so I basically used that to confirm that I had the dado correctly placed on the arbor.

Yep, great minds... ;)

Phil Thien
04-07-2008, 8:53 AM
Intersting that the 4100 has a better dust collection...Daniel any chance you could snap a few pictures of the 4100's underside so I can see how they updated it.

Michael

The only time I head that tidbit was watching a video of a guy demonstrate the saw. I imagined that they had included a fan to push the sawdust out the port (like some planers), but I couldn't find any more information. It will be interesting to see what Daniel has to say.

However, the collection on the 4000 should still be very good. After all, the blade is shrouded on both saws (I think).

John Newell
04-07-2008, 12:03 PM
I have a 4100. I believe that the improved dust collection is the result of a redesigned shroud for the blade, but I could be mistaken.

Daniel Berlin
04-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Intersting that the 4100 has a better dust collection. I made my own converter on the 4000 so I could hook up an older vacuum. I'm hoping a CT22 will do a better job, but I might have to install some plexi glass underneath.

Daniel any chance you could snap a few pictures of the 4100's underside so I can see how they updated it.

Michael, sure is a nice saw! I doo wish the fence distance to the blade would be larger than 25", but that's life.

Michael

I'll take some pics and post them when i get home.
(I've only seen the 4000 a few times, never stared at the underside :P)