PDA

View Full Version : Thin CA Glue

Tom Bucanan
04-06-2008, 4:31 PM
I just got a couple of bottles of thin CA glue in order to stabalize any hairline cracks in bowls (so that they don't open up over time). The only problem is that the glue stains the wood around the crack leaving an unsightly splotch. What should I do? Any ideas or advice?

Scott Hubl
04-06-2008, 4:52 PM
Sand sand sand.

CA is tough stuff start over sanding once you use it.

At least that's what Richard Raffan does in one of his DVD's I have. He has a lidded box just about completed then notices a small crack/defect of some sort on the inside and CA's it and says you have to start sanding it all over again the remove all but the repaired part.

Burt Alcantara
04-06-2008, 5:16 PM
If you put the CA on creatively, it can look like it's part of the wood. I finished a hollow form that was so full of cracks that it got covered with CA. After sanding, oiling and sealing, the CA looks like mineral stains. In this case, it added a lot to the vessel.

Burt

David Wilhelm
04-06-2008, 5:24 PM
Scotts right all you can do is sand it out. unless you want to towl in the rest of the bowl to match. I use CA like it's free. I will use medium on those cracks and use the back side of clotch sand paper and push the glue into the crack then very fast with a towl whip up the left over mess and start sanding with 220. you can also try a couple coats of sealer around the edge of the crack to help prevent the CA from penetrating. I just don't take the time. Repeat if you think it's needed

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2008, 6:16 PM
Tom I power sand after using CA. When I have hairline cracks I sop it with thin CA. After it dries really good I just power sand. I use a oil finish so when applied you can't even tell most times where it stained it at all.

Stan Cook
04-06-2008, 7:09 PM
If your piece is small, just coat the entire piece with CA. Then, the 'stain' will be uniform.

John W. Willis
04-06-2008, 9:23 PM
What Bernie said.

robert baccus
04-07-2008, 12:00 AM
spray a light coat of spraycan laquer or ss over the area before glueing the crack.--------------ol forester

neil mackay
04-07-2008, 4:17 AM
spray a light coat of spraycan laquer or ss over the area before glueing the crack

Yep that goes for me, anything else is just extra work.