PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! -I think I burned my PM 141 Motor up

Brent Ring
04-06-2008, 4:14 PM
Hey I was resawing some new english walnut logs I just recieved and my motor bogged down and then stopped - I was probably feeding to fast. Any way, the saw just stopped. I tried cycling power, but the saw would not come back on. The motor, a Westinghouse 1/2 hp motor, wired for 110, but supports both 110/230. If these overheat, do they cool down and run again, or did I just burn up my motor, and what are my options...?:(

glenn bradley
04-06-2008, 4:17 PM
Circuit breaker or reset button on the motor? If it exists it would be mentioned in the manual. I'll assume you've confirmed the wall panel breaker for the outlet did not trip(?).

Joe Jensen
04-06-2008, 4:18 PM
I haven't overheated the motor in mine, but all the motors I've heated up over the years have recovered. Did it smell bad? If not, it must have some thermal protection...joe

Brent Ring
04-06-2008, 4:19 PM
circuit breaker was not tripped and i can't seem to find a reset on the motor

Peter Quinn
04-06-2008, 4:46 PM
I've stopped a motor dead before. Usually takes 1/2 hour or more to cool down if it took a while to heat up.

Brent Ring
04-06-2008, 6:51 PM
Ok, it was an inline power problem with a power strip if was getting power thru.

All of this probably would not have happened, if I had not ventured into the shop today. Normally my religious beliefs keep me out of the shop on Sunday, but I was so excited to look into this piece of english walnut that I could not resist.

Worst part is, I tipped the saw over to get the motor out, which I did not need to take out in the first place, then the saw rolled and broke the alignment handle, (which super glue should fix), and I had to replace the mobile base as well.

In short the whole saw will have to be re-tuned, and that really annoys me. The wood is beautiful, but certainly I could have been patient for a day and saw it tomorrow.

The woes of not listening to your consience and being in a hurry.

Laughing is allowed!